Author Topic: the gang in 1795...  (Read 3591 times)

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
Re: the gang in 1795...
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2007, 07:45:07 PM »
Just for the record:

Vicki is dumb. She sets herself up to walk into
traps and Peter Bradford is a BAD lawyer.
heehee vicki was dumb but despite all it flaws i still love 1795 :)
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2007, 07:58:58 PM »
Anyone being locked up in a coffin for 170+ years might make someone pretty cranky. Also the writers at the begginning I don't think were planing to go back the 1795 or 96 or all the other years they went back to.   ::)
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2007, 09:19:37 PM »
strangely as "out there" as the 1795 storyline is i find the witchtrial subplot to be the most unrealistic.it's certainly the worst part of an otherwise excellent story.

on a completely unrelated and pointless note during the time that vicki is in jail her hair suddeny gets very,very long.the longest she ever wears it on the show.
when josette sees herself in a "vampire vision" she sort of has a "farrah fawcet" hairstyle not otherwise seen on her.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2007, 10:09:29 PM »
Mainly... was this an altered timeline set in motion (knowingly or unknowingly) by Sarah's ghost, where Barnabas, even as a newly-minted vampire, was a nicer one than he would have been, because of Victoria's presence, and his concern for her?   Was he "originally" simply bloodthirsty, overwhelmed by the effects of the curse and bitterness?    Was the pivotal moment when he announced an impending bloodbath, then immediately changed his mind?   Did he not change his mind "the first time"?

Anyway, before seeing the end of 1795, I pictured Barnabas somehow being dragged off kicking and screaming to be chained up, which no one would have the power to do, granted, but I had thought the whole point was that he'd become an all-out monster, who then stewed in his maniacal juices till 1967.

I don't think that Barnabas was "nicer" because Vicki was there. As I read into the story, Vicki simply took the place of Phyllis Wick, so if that's true, Barnabas should've been just as nice and concerned about Ms. Wick as he was about our Vicki.

I also don't believe that Barnabas ever intened, even in 1795, to go on a bloodbath. It wouldn't be true to his character, because even at his most evil, he still had a conscience about what he was going to do or had done. Barnabas volunteering to be destroyed was something he did because he loved his family, and he knew that as a result of Angelique's curse that if he continued living, the last few family members that were left alive in 1795 would die, just as all the others had, because they felt love for him. So, he was basically removing himself from the situation. Unfortunately, Barnabas didn't forsee that Joshua was going to take pity on his son and simply chain him up because he couldn't bare to give the order for his death. This shows that Joshua loves Barnabas, and, as a result of Angelique's curse, he should've died an untimely death too. Details, details.

Ultimately, I think this ties into the other thread that was going about whether or not Sarah had precognition, because there are a number of reasons that Vicki could've been transported to the past:

1) Sarah knew that Vicki was falling for Barnabas and since Sarah didn't want any harm to come to Vicki, she sent her into the past with the hope that Vicki would realize what Barnabas is and get scared. Under this idea, it was then planned by Sarah that when Vicki hanged she would revert back to her own time. Unfortunately, Sarah underestimated Vicki's incompetance.

2) Vicki just so happened to get sucked into a time warp, in a sort of "wrong place, wrong time" scenario.

Those are just two that I thought of off the top of my head. There could be many more. As to which is really true? Who the hell knows?
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2007, 12:35:06 AM »
even at his most evil, he still had a conscience about what he was going to do or had done.

Remember Dave Woodard! (As JF almost said to GH once.)    1967 Barnabas is just despicable.   
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2007, 05:53:37 PM »
i watched the confrontational scene between abigail and barnabas("what are you doing here!?!")

talk about some bravura work from both jonathan frid and clarice blackburn.one of the best scenes ever i think.

i've kvetched about this endlessly but one of things i liked the most about this storyline is that all of the original actors were given interesting things to do along with jonathan,grayson and lara.

sadly after this storyline they get sidelined in favor of the "monster-of-the-week" situation.given the show's expansive premise they could have found new and interesting ways to use these characters but the writers seemed unsure of what to do with them.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.