Author Topic: Petition to Urge SoapNet to Air DS  (Read 9342 times)

Offline adamsgirl

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: Petition to Urge SoapNet to Air DS
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2007, 01:57:35 AM »
I also believe "Twin Peaks" was on CBS. "Tales from the Crypt," as I recall, was a syndicated show which aired on what was then (in my neck of the woods) WPIX, which became the WB.

Twin Peaks originally aired on ABC from 1989 to 1991.  Tales From The Crypt originally aired on HBO from 1989 to 1996.

Thanks for the info. It's good to know!

So, the thing is, they weren't NBC/Universal shows, so there's real hope for Dark Shadows.

Offline Satan

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Brian
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2007, 02:34:38 AM »
I wish I could agree...but since I don't watch most of the other Soapnet soaps (Like Port Charles or Days of our Lives, or even Dynasty, which I DID watch in it's first run), and those shows on Soapnet don't inspire me to watch them, why would I expect DS to attract new viewers, via Soapnet?  Just my opinion again....

Well it's working on me. I never would have gotten into DS if Sci-Fi hadn't shown it and if SoapNet wouldn't be airing reruns of Port Charles, I wouldn't have gotten into that either. A show in reruns can gain a new audience. Just because it doesn't work for you, doesn't mean it wont work for others. BTW, this week on Port Charles is the beginning of the vampire arc. The 12 PM airings. I read a little bit of the story through recaps and I have to say it sounds exactly like Barnabas and Josette. Livvie reminds Caleb the vampire of a girl he was once in love with and now thinks she is the reincarnation of this woman. Same thing with Maggie and Barnabas. I'm still going to check it out, but I know it wont top DS version.

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2007, 03:11:55 AM »
Okay...I'll sign it anyway...so more young folks--and those who may have missed it in any of the various TV/VHS/DVD incarnations--can be exposed to this wonderful, classic show.

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2007, 05:26:04 PM »
If Chiller TV is part of NBC/Universal's channel's, would it not be a stretch to think that the 91 Revival Series could possibly pop up on there? I mean, some DS is better than NO DS at all......
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline adamsgirl

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2007, 05:36:58 PM »
Well, I emailed Jim Pierson about this possible outlet for DS (the original), and his response wasn't particularly encouraging. He said that, more and more, vintage TV shows, those prior to the 1970s, aren't being shown, not even on TVLand for the most part. He said that DVD has basically replaced the airing of these vintage shows. However, he said it couldn't hurt for fans to get in touch with NBC/Universal to request DS be shown on Chiller.

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2007, 06:32:48 PM »
Well, I emailed Jim Pierson about this possible outlet for DS (the original), and his response wasn't particularly encouraging. He said that, more and more, vintage TV shows, those prior to the 1970s, aren't being shown, not even on TVLand for the most part. He said that DVD has basically replaced the airing of these vintage shows. However, he said it couldn't hurt for fans to get in touch with NBC/Universal to request DS be shown on Chiller.

If a network wants to broadcast a program, don't they have to get permission from the owners... in this case DCP?  And if so, wouldn't they go to Jim Pierson with the request?  I'm not sure how this works.
Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/

David

« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2007, 07:08:38 PM »
TV Land still airs I Love Lucy, Andy Griffith, Green Acres & Leave it to Beaver.
Sci Fi still airs Twilight Zone.
Encore Westerns runs several cowboy shows from the 50s & 60s.
All is not lost.

The petition is up to 115 signers.
we'll get there.......

David

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2007, 07:15:00 PM »
If a network wants to broadcast a program, don't they have to get permission from the owners... in this case DCP?  And if so, wouldn't they go to Jim Pierson with the request?  I'm not sure how this works.

It's a common misconception that DCP own DS - it doesn't. Worldvision owns DS, and any syndication deals are made through them.

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2007, 07:15:58 PM »

In the case of DS, they would go to Paramount/Worldvision for the original and for the 91 series they would go to Sony.

MrsMcGuire

« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2007, 07:26:03 PM »
I'll sign the petition. We pay for SoapNet as part of our cable package but I've never watched the channel. They could count on me tuning in if they aired DS.

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2007, 08:15:27 PM »

It's a common misconception that DCP own DS - it doesn't. Worldvision owns DS, and any syndication deals are made through them.

OH!  Doesn't DCP own something... a copyright the names or something and that's why they had to get DC's permission to do Dark Shadows?  I must have the story all screwed up.  :'(  Either way, I hope Worldvision will see that it's a great venture to air it again!
Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2007, 08:24:53 PM »
I probably should have made that clearer this time around.

Worldvision owns the original DS episodes, but DCP has the Intellectual Property rights to DS. Like Darren and I have said, that means any deals to syndicate the original eps have to go through Worldvision. However, any deal to make a new DS or license any sort of merchandising has to go through DCP.

There are actually several topics on the forum that explain all this.  :)

Offline adamsgirl

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2007, 08:26:02 PM »
Gee, good question about Worldvision. Still, I agree with Jackie. I would think that DCP would somehow have to be involved in these discussions. One other thing: Jim said that Shadowgram will be giving info on the Chiller network with the suggestion fans contact them to request Dark Shadows.

Offline adamsgirl

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2007, 08:30:59 PM »
I probably should have made that clearer this time around.

Worldvision owns the original DS episodes, but DCP has the Intellectual Property rights to DS. Like Darren and I have said, that means any deals to syndicate the original eps have to go through Worldvision. However, any deal to make a new DS or license any sort of merchandising has to go through DCP.

There are actually several topics on the forum that explain all this.  :)

Thanks for the clarification. It makes sense now to me. I'm still hoping here, though.:)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2007, 08:31:51 PM »
I agree with Jackie. I would think that DCP would somehow have to be involved in these discussions.

Not really. DCP wouldn't need to be involved in any original series syndication deals because they don't own the episodes.