Author Topic: Petition to Urge SoapNet to Air DS  (Read 9336 times)

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Brian
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2007, 04:02:43 AM »
having the show aired creates new fans, which is needed to keep the franchise going long term.
I wish I could agree...but since I don't watch most of the other Soapnet soaps (Like Port Charles or Days of our Lives, or even Dynasty, which I DID watch in it's first run), and those shows on Soapnet don't inspire me to watch them, why would I expect DS to attract new viewers, via Soapnet?  Just my opinion again....

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Petition to Urge SoapNet to Air DS
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2007, 04:30:04 AM »
Brian, you sound like me: back when I was watching broadcast TV, I was selective and unrandom.  But from what I've seen here, there is a fair number of people who just happened to see Dark Shadows when it was showing on SciFi (or wherever) and got interested that way.  It's reasonable to suppose that the same thing would happen if Soapnet aired Dark Shadows.  And think of all those people leading joyless, Dark Shadows-less lives, simply because they don't know what Dark Shadows is like!  It fills me with evangelistic zeal.

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2007, 04:56:15 AM »
It sounds to me that DS would be best suited for the new Chiller channel.  I personally would rather it be broadcast on a national network which everyone gets who owns a TV set.  [clap]
Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/

Offline rainingwolf

• Full Poster
  • Not all wolves are werewolves!
    • View Profile
    • MySpace Page
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2007, 05:33:21 AM »
Whether it is Chiller or Soapnet, it would be great if DS got on air again. I signed the petition--one can always hope! Lots of people DO watch Soapnet, so I think it would be able to draw in new viewers. Of course, my constant complaint is aagainst our silly landlord who won't allow cable or satellite, but IF we had it, I would watch DS even though I have all the DVDs also. (Just can't ever get enough! Hmmm--wonder if I need a 12-step program for this...?)
"Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History..."

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2007, 05:38:23 AM »
BTW, I love your avatar, Rainingwolf.  I got such a big thrill seeing two wolves in the wild while I was staying at Jackson Hole.

Re the petition - I think it's important, especially in light of some of the discussions we have been having about the fests - to get the show on the air and attract new fans.  I don't own the DVDs and don't have the time to watch the series even if i did.  That said, the important thing is to attract new fans.  For that reason alone I will sign the petition.

Nancy

Whether it is Chiller or Soapnet, it would be great if DS got on air again. I signed the petition--one can always hope! Lots of people DO watch Soapnet, so I think it would be able to draw in new viewers. Of course, my constant complaint is aagainst our silly landlord who won't allow cable or satellite, but IF we had it, I would watch DS even though I have all the DVDs also. (Just can't ever get enough! Hmmm--wonder if I need a 12-step program for this...?)

David

RainingWolf
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2007, 09:07:09 AM »
RW:
you might want to talk to you local rent board.
your landlord might be allowed to say no to satellite,
but as cable is now a standard, you might have the legal right to get local cable.

David

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2007, 05:53:26 PM »
. Of course, my constant complaint is aagainst our silly landlord who won't allow cable or satellite,.....

Have you considered the possibility that your landlord is STEALING the local cable and won't allow anyone else to request it  because he'll get caught once they get up on his roof?.... >:D
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
Re: RainingWolf
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2007, 06:07:03 PM »
you might want to talk to you local rent board.  your landlord might be allowed to say no to satellite,but as cable is now a standard, you might have the legal right to get local cable.

Yes, and as I posted a while back when we were discussing HiDef and Congress' plans to make it the standard, I *think* in 2009, cable may be the only way that some ppl can get broadcast signals.  Can't remember the name of that thread, but if you don't have a hi def tv when the switch happens, your tv won't work.  I had posted a reply from a reporter friend who writes for a newletter about such matters.  Cable is one way to prevent that from happening so as David says, no landlord has the right to refuse cable to the tenants.   ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2007, 06:55:55 PM »
Can't remember the name of that thread, but...

Search/Advanced Search/cable/60daysmax/Current Talk (you can add a cousin's name to be even more specific) OR Search: Current Talk '06 II board for cable brings up this at the top:

Goodbye to DS on Broadcast TV in 2009?

The discussion starts on p. 2 and should continue on its p. 3.  :)

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2007, 11:08:15 PM »
Search/Advanced Search/cable/60daysmax/Current Talk (you can add a cousin's name to be even more specific) OR Search: Current Talk '06 II board for cable brings up this at the top:

Thanks Midnite, I *knew* I could count on you to come up w/the thread name/link!  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2007, 01:29:00 AM »
I *knew* I could count on you to come up w/the thread name/link!  ;)

Ah, but it was the Search feature that came up with it.  ;)

David

100 Signers Reached!
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2007, 09:39:19 PM »
My (our) petition passed 100 signers this morning.
Not  bad for the first 5 days.

Can we go for 200?
Let's get our show back on the air!
Spread the word & post petition links at your sites!

I may start another petition to get DS and Passions reruns
on Chiller TV.
Leave no stone unturned!

David

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
Re: 100 Signers Reached!
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2007, 10:06:58 PM »
Up to 101 just a minute ago.  I'm passing the word and helping the cause. ;)  How about a national network that everyone gets?  I know some people on these lists who say they aren't signing because they don't get the Soapnet.  I understand their pov.
Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/

Offline adamsgirl

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2007, 12:11:05 AM »
I have a partial listing here from the press release. Some of these shows aired on other networks from NBC, so there really is hope:

Chiller will feature classic horror films and television shows around the clock. At launch, the programming slate will include the television series "Friday the 13th," "Twin Peaks," "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" and "Tales from the Crypt." Feature films in rotation will include "The Shining," Alfred Hitchcock's "Psycho" and "The Birds," "Sphere," The Stephen King mini-series "The Langoliers," "Blade Runner," "Believe," "The Crew" and "The Unholy."

Here's an example: Stephen King's mini-series, when they debut, are exclusive to ABC. I also believe "Twin Peaks" was on CBS. "Tales from the Crypt," as I recall, was a syndicated show which aired on what was then (in my neck of the woods) WPIX, which became the WB.

Offline verusselle

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2007, 01:09:55 AM »
I also believe "Twin Peaks" was on CBS. "Tales from the Crypt," as I recall, was a syndicated show which aired on what was then (in my neck of the woods) WPIX, which became the WB.

Twin Peaks originally aired on ABC from 1989 to 1991.  Tales From The Crypt originally aired on HBO from 1989 to 1996.