Author Topic: Chloe Moretz offered title role in 'Carrie' remake  (Read 1428 times)

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
Chloe Moretz offered title role in 'Carrie' remake
« on: March 28, 2012, 03:57:26 AM »
It looks like Chloe Moretz is becoming the go-to young actress for all types of horror movies. She's already done a few, has DS coming out this year, and now this:

insidemovies.ew.com/2012/03/27/casting-net-chloe-grace-moretz-ray-liotta/
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
From Carolyn to Carrie
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 01:32:38 AM »
It has been announced that Chloe Metz has been cast as the title character in a new film adaptation of Stephen King's Carrie.  Several other actresses, including Dakota Fanning, were considered for the role.  The film's makers stated that it is not a re-make of the 1976 Brian DePalma classic starring Sissy Spacek; rather, it is their own take on King's novel.

http://now.msn.com/entertainment/0328-moretz-carrie-remake.aspx

Gerard

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Chloe Moretz offered title role in 'Carrie' remake
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 04:53:25 AM »
I'm looking forward to this. I think it could be great, I hope it's good.
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 06:20:29 AM »
Great casting choice! Chloe has the acting chops to pull this off and she's also the right age for it.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 12:34:15 AM »
wow miss moretz is really "it", isn't she?

incidentally a coworker of mine in his early 20's told me moretz is his "favorite actress" and that she is the reason he will be seeing the DS movie.

again i had never heard of her before this project but despite some early objection that she was too young to play carolyn this ended up being a brilliant piece of casting work on someone's part.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 02:25:04 PM »
I've lost track of how old Dakota Fanning is, but I tend to feel that she's already too old to play Carrie.  I do remember that years ago, she was in talks to be in another King work, The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, but that never came to pass.  I think Chloe is a perfect choice.  Let Me In indicates that she can definitely do dark horror.  I guess as with most remakes (or reimaginings, if you'd rather call it that) I wonder how much need there is for it, but strangely, Carrie is one of the few King novels that I never ended up reading, so I don't even really know how faithful the movie was to the novel.

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 02:36:31 PM »
Oops, too late to modify my post.  I looked up Dakota's age and she's only 18, so I guess that's not really too old- somehow, I thought she was closer to 20 by now (though she might be by the time they get to filming).  Still, I dislike how so often in Hollywood, they cast 24 year olds as teenagers, so it's refreshing to see someone like Chloe who actually looks and acts her real age.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 09:30:23 PM »
Many people forget the 2002 made-for-TV version of the novel, a three-hour epic starring Angela Bettis as the bullied, telekinetic, lonely high school girl.  It was actually intended as a pilot for a television series that never got off the ground.  It was much more faithful to the novel and incorporated more of it than the DePalma big-screen '76 version (save for the ending, specifically done so in order to promote the proposed series).  It was, of course, updated from both the novel and previous film ('76:  "I'm not the only one, Momma.  I read about it."  '02:  "I'm not the only one, Momma.  I read about it on the internet.").  Many panned this version, but I loved it.  It incorporated more about the sub-psychology of high school students and bullying.  A friend of mine, a university professor of child human development, watched it with me when I encouraged him to rent the DVD and so impressed that he showed it to his class on adolescent socio-psychology.  Watching the film and discussing covered four entire classes, all the students, my friend said, in active participation saying they each knew a Carrie White and Chris Hargensen while in high school and watching the impact of stratified cruelty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O60xLw64ufU

Gerard

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 12:55:39 AM »
incidentally a coworker of mine in his early 20's told me moretz is his "favorite actress" and that she is the reason he will be seeing the DS movie.

I don't remember what I first saw her in, but whatever film it was got me hooked on her as an actress. I haven't missed a film of hers since, and she never fails to impress, even among (in some cases) much more learned actors surrounding her.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 09:14:23 PM »
Fan-Made Carrie Poster Gets Director's Attention

And nice promotional graphics for the two new MPI compilations.  [thumb]

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 12:52:38 AM »
Although I think Chloe Moretz will be great as the title character, I think it would be interesting (and more realistic) to have Carrie appear the way King described her in the novel.  She was not a skinny, attractiveness-hidden teenage girl.  She was, according to King's description, "a frog" with some "baby fat" and acne.  While Sissy Spacek in the '76 cinematic version (for which she was nominated as best actress), and Angela Bettis in the made-for-TV 2002 (and more loyal to the novel adaption) version did incredible work, they weren't exactly the Carrie from the novel.  In the book, she worked on her appearance and overcame her bit-of-a-chubby, acned, persecuted teen to become what Tommy Ross called "beautiful."

The same with Margaret White.  Again, while Piper Laurie (who got a best-supporting actress nomination) in the '76 version, and Patricia Clarkson in the '02 version also were incredible in their portrayals, they were not the woman King described.  She was a muscular, semi-obese woman with pinned-up hair and rimless glasses that cut into the pudginess of her face. 

It would be interesting to see the characters portrayed as such.

Gerard

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 12:23:14 PM »
miss moretz seems like a young actress of great promise...

i hope she doesn't typecast herself quickly into the "horror" genre. as we know that can be a difficult place to find one's way out of.

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 01:49:36 PM »
miss moretz seems like a young actress of great promise...

i hope she doesn't typecast herself quickly into the "horror" genre. as we know that can be a difficult place to find one's way out of.

I was thinking the same thing, michael c-- Kick Ass (not horror, but still dark fantasy), Let Me In, DS, Carrie.  However, at least she's had a few other non-horror roles-- Hugo, and errrrr.... well, I think there was another film that she was promoting this past year but I can't think of it  [ghost_tongue2]  I'm hoping that since she's gotten great reviews from critics for her acting, and not just for the films themselves being popular, that her great potential will continue to be recognized. 

Since I didn't read Carrie, I was unaware that she was supposed to be chubby and have acne.  This reminds me of the description of the teenage boy in one of King's other novels, Christine.  In fact, I seem to remember a lot of his characters having acne, lol!  But I did think that Sissy Spacek looked quite homely in Carrie (sorry Sissy, I think you're beautiful otherwise!) so at least for me, I think I got the main gist from Sissy's portrayal.  Hopefully they won't glamorize Chloe.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 02:09:22 PM »
yes it would be a shame if she ended up the p.j. soles of the new millennium and found herself twenty years from now signing autographs at some "horror convention" at a marriot in the middle of nowhere. [ghost_rolleyes]