Author Topic: Laura Collins' social worker...  (Read 2699 times)

Offline A.I.Collins

• Full Poster
  • Look into those sexy eyes....
    • View Profile
Laura Collins' social worker...
« on: January 13, 2004, 11:38:39 PM »
Hey guys!...while posting on another topic, i thought about just how much I liked the character of Laura Collins and I thought that deep down inside she was just a loving mother wanting her children.(speaking of the 1897 reincarnation of her).

After thinking to myself after a while, I figured I would do a special post in defense of Mrs.Collins..taking on the role of her social worker.

I would like for these postings and your comments to come as sort of a defense for her or either a prosecution against her...Here are a few of my arguments of why Laura should have been granted custody of the Children.

1) Laura is a good "fiery" lady at heart, even though she may have had "strange" intentions about taking her children away, she loved them still.

2) She "rescued" Jamison and Nora from that godforsaken school of Trasks'.I couldn't help but root for her when she was doing her best to get them away from there.I know I wouldn't have liked to have been there as a child.

3) The Collins family ignored Jamison's constant pleas to get them away from that place after Trask locked him in that closet.(abuse and neglect is what i call it-not punishment). Who was there for the kids when they needed to flee the school?...Mommy Dearest..Laura Collins.

4) Jamison came under posession....chances are if Laura had still been around ...or had been allowed to "take him away" from Collinwood...that would have never happened.

5) She's pretty. C'mon you guys...you know no matter how much you may have hated her...Diana Millay was at her best when she played Laura. She looked like a life-size barbie doll.

6) The children simply suffered from neglect at Collinwood. Although, Quentin tried to be there for Jamison when he wasn't sleeping around on Beth.

-Well...those are a few of my arguments in Mrs. Collins' defense ....any prosecutors? ;D

As Mrs. Collins' social worker..I would like to thank those in advance who choose to give arguments for the defense.

Adra ;)

P.S....let's have a little fun with this! >:D
Dark Shadows...my little ball of sunshine!!!

Offline wes

• THIS SPACE FOR RENT
  • Junior Poster
  • My Journey is Beginning
    • View Profile
Re:Laura Collins' social worker...
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2004, 05:19:10 AM »
 ;) You know (or, maybe you don't) I ranked LAURA COLLINS at #7 in my "Top 50" over on the "Favorite Character" thread.  I considered ranking her even higher... in the #2-5 range.

>:D Laura is a pure, dependable character.  She is pure evil, and does not "change" to become heroic.  She is a very unique character, based on the ancient Egyptian (?) myth of the Phoenix.  It is interesting that Dan and/or the writers created this "monstress" for Diana to portray on DS.... amazingly subtle soap terror.

;) One can make a case for Laura to be an innocent creature who is simply driven to do what she needs to do -- kill her children by taking them into the fire.  We don't know what happens to the ones who she succeeds in taking (David Radcliff, for example); so, perhaps there is some rebirth/return available for the children.

8) We never see what Laura is like after she is born into a "human" life.  We only see her after she has died by fire (in Phoenix, 1966; in Alexandria, 1896 & fleetingly, possibly after her 1785 death).

:-[ Interesting, also, is her penchant for insest!  (She is Roger's wife and grandmother!)  I was dismayed (dismillayed?) to see the what the '91 series was doing with the character.  I hope the new series does Laura justice!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2004, 08:27:45 PM »
I was dismayed (dismillayed?)

Hee!

to see the what the '91 series was doing with the character.  I hope the new series does Laura justice!

For me, it seemed to make more sense and also pave the way for more interesting possibilities to have Angelique return as Laura (a witch who was institutionalized and yet had a hold on David from across the pond, and who had knowledge of Roger's supposedly secret affair with Maggie and saw his [psychic] girlfriend as a threat) than to bring her back in a Cassandra-like manner or try to introduce a Phoenix into a 90s show.  JMO, ;)

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2004, 10:15:25 PM »
It WOULD have been interesting to see what could have been done with an Angelique as Laura storyline on the 1991 series, Midnite!

The character of Laura intrigues me too.  She was one of those DS villains who never does turn into a hero(ine), and really seemed to have her own agenda that wasn't dependent on what any other baddie was up to.   Her showdown with Angelique was pretty riveting television.  Wonder what would have happened if she and Petofi had run afoul of each other?

Her earlier storyline was also interesting, and seems to have set the stage for the purely supernatural bent of most of the rest of the series.  Like Lara Parker, Millay did something with her eyes that really zinged home the evil nature of her character.   And I particularly like her voice.  It helped her convey conceit, desperation and a measure of sardonic humor, which added different levels to Laura.

What was missing, IMHO was Laura's origin.  Would really have liked to have seen how she got her powers.  Is there any indication that she existed prior to her 1785ish incarnation as the first Mrs. Jeremiah Collins, does anyone know?  Did she originate in ancient Egypt?

Not sure about the different Davids (Radcliffe etc.), but I've always wondered if maybe little Master Collins was the reincarnation of the Phoenix's earlier progeny.  That might help explain why he was so, err, disturbed early on in the series.

My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.

Offline wes

• THIS SPACE FOR RENT
  • Junior Poster
  • My Journey is Beginning
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2004, 01:55:47 AM »
Known Laura incarnations:

[burn] In 1767, Laura Murdoch Stockbridge dies by fire.
 [burn] In 1785, Laura Stockbridge Collins dies by fire.
 [burn] In 1867, Laura Murdoch Radcliffe dies by fire.
 [burn] In 1896, Laura Stockbridge Collins dies by fire.
 [burn] In 1897, Laura Stockbridge Collins dies by fire.
 [burn] In 1966, Laura Murdoch Collins dies by fire.
 [burn] In 1967, Laura Murdoch Collins dies by fire.

We can assume that there were additional deaths by fire shortly before 1767 and 1867... since that pattern is established with two deaths by fire pretty close together in 1966/67 & 1896/97.  It can also be assumed that she really only begins her quest after an initial, quick death & return... like when she is burned in Phoenix or sacrificed in Egypt.  The 1785 visit may or may not have followed the pattern.  I assume Laura and Jeremiah were either childless, or Laura burned with any offspring.  Whatever, the Collins family don't talk too much about Laura in the 1700s (which is exactly how they react to such matters!).  I think we can assume, due to Laura's actions, that she is an ancient being dating back thousands of years.  She seems to originate in ancient Egypt.  She seems to favor Collins men, and she may be the "mother" of them all, actually.

Offline Cassandra

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2004, 11:01:21 AM »
What was missing, IMHO was Laura's origin.  Would really have liked to have seen how she got her powers.  Is there any indication that she existed prior to her 1785ish incarnation as the first Mrs. Jeremiah Collins, does anyone know?  Did she originate in ancient Egypt?

That would have been great CB!  I wish that they did show a pre-Laura Phoenix storyline like they did with Barnabas & Angelique in 1795, and then again with Quentin in 1897, and also Gerard & Daphne in 1840.   They could have used this as an additional storyline when they ran out of ideas and stories to show.

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2004, 12:47:43 AM »
Today, Laura would easily've gotten custody of the kids (whether she's burning up David, Jamison and Nora, or her brood from any other generation).  You see, she's a Phoenix.  That means one of two things that any judge would say qualifies her for a sympathetic custodial ruling:  A) in a multi-cultural society, her identity as a Phoenix must be regarded as a positive, or B) she's pyrotechnically-challenged, which is a syndrome, disease, condition, etc., and which receives protective status under the Americans with Disabilities Act.

Of course, after a favorable ruling, Laura would appear on Larry King, where he would give her a supportive ear, and her lawyer would appear on Bill O'Reilly, where he would chew up and spit out the lawyer.  And then she'd burn her kids up, as well as herself, she would quickly return for the highly lucrative book deals and negotiations with Lifetime for a made-for-cable-TV movie.  Several actresses would be considered to play her part:  Patty Duke; Delta Burke; Valerie Bertinelli; Meredith Baxter; Linsdey Wagner, and the ladies who played the moms on Growing Pains and The Wonder Years.

Gerard

Offline A.I.Collins

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2004, 03:26:38 AM »

Hey guys!

I'm appreciating everyone's comments thus far. Looks like our pal Laura is in for the winning.See...there's lots of positive things to say about her. ;D

Adra

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2004, 05:26:26 PM »
A) in a multi-cultural society, her identity as a Phoenix must be regarded as a positive, or B) she's pyrotechnically-challenged, which is a syndrome, disease, condition, etc., and which receives protective status under the Americans with Disabilities Act.

[lol2]  Ain't that the truth?!

And I still haven't recovered from your Galloping Gourmet story!

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2004, 01:03:48 AM »
Ah yes, the Laura storyline is one of my favorites too. Particulary love her outfits in the B&W 1966. Wasn't she special in the stylish hat she wears into the Collinsport coffee shop when she first meets up with Maggie? An elegant woman who attracted all the men around with the outward appearance of heat but was so cold and manipulative. She professes such a strong love for her son, how can she be such a monster! But her inability to remember dates will trip her up and they will find her guilty afterall.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Miles

• ** Time Traveling Orphan Governess **
  • Full Poster
  • Witch Hunter Robin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2004, 12:39:33 AM »
I could never get past the way she denied all accusations made against her.  Constantly blinking then turning away from the person she was speaking to and looking vacantly towards the camera really drove me nuts many a time during the 1966 storyline.

"Why (blink) Burke/Vicki (blink, blink) how can you (blink) say (blink) that?  (Looks away Burke/Vicki) I thought you (blink, blink, blink) cared for David (blink) as much as I do (blink)."
Three hundred and twenty years have passed since the coven sank in the dark...

LorraineAAB

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2004, 06:16:15 AM »
I could never get past the way she denied all accusations made against her.  Constantly blinking then turning away from the person she was speaking to and looking vacantly towards the camera really drove me nuts many a time during the 1966 storyline.

Whereas, Jonathan Frid as Barnabas would gaze towards the teleprompter and/ or camera with serious or agonized expressions, as he himself had admitted,  to camouflage his need to refresh his memory of the dialogue.  Has anyone ever heard whether this was a problem of Ms. Millay's, also?

Anway, it's interesting how these incidental occurrances could give the viewers completely different impressions of the different species of evil the actors conveyed in their characterizations.

"Why (blink) Burke/Vicki (blink, blink) how can you (blink) say (blink) that?  (Looks away Burke/Vicki) I thought you (blink, blink, blink) cared for David (blink) as much as I do (blink)."

Actually, when she spoke her dialogue, Ms. Millay, with her unique upper-crust breathy delivery, sounded nearly HYPNOTIZED whenever speaking.   Whether intentional or not, this added to the suspense--- IS she a supernatural creature with a true purpose (however disastrous the results), or just a psychotic, obsessed human being, a'la the appalling Andrea Yates?

There had to be a reason why a supernatural critter in human form became an alcoholic and was even institutionalized, which confinement Laura apparently never tried to escape.  I have theorized in the past that all memories of her previous lives were erased, though it seems each generation was able to come up with a cover story for her origin.

In the 1967 version, Laura claimed to be the daughter of sea captain, and, indeed, perhaps, when the phoenix was completely "reborn",  she was truly reborn as an infant or child, and the captain had adopted and raised her.   What's more, it was actually never made clear whether Laura lived the full, continous hundred years before rebirth.
It seems more likely that she had her children in the first third of her 100-year cycle, with intermittent burnings to refresh her life force.

It almost did not matter if she kept marrying into the same family, since a new body without clear memories emerged from the fire.  Even if the family still kept old portraits on hand, the resemblence could be explained as resulting from the coincidence of the new bride's being a collateral blood relative (niece, cousin)  of the previous Laura.  (Hey, look how many times this ruse worked for BARNABAS!)  In the Collinses' case, the 1700's portrait of Laura was eventually destroyed, and the revolted Edward may well have destroyed all reminders of HIS Laura, thus depriving future generations of the chance to protect themselves from future intrusions.

Thus, the young Laura, only vaguely aware of her life's mission, in the human course of events, inadvertantly married and mated (or in modern Laura's case, mated and married), her grandson.   And soon after her child was born, she became more agitated as their terrible destiny became clearer and clearer to her.   The human component warred with the dominating phoenix characteristics.  Hence, Laura took up drinking, and became so unstable, Roger, whose relationship with her was already tainted by the possibility that David was Burke's son, had her put away.   Laura was still functioning as human, so she probably couldn't escape, maybe didn't WANT to at that point.

Then, she "recovered" and was released, soon after which, she was hit with the preliminary burning, whether spontaneous, or induced, as it was in Egypt, by those
who recognized her secret identity.  (Unless you prefer an alternate theory, that a real phoenix, either chance-come or summoned, preyed on her, and took over her appearance and persona, in order to claim her offspring.)  In any case, the burning crystallized her mission, details of her past lives came back to her, and she became icy-calm about the whole business (ironic for a creature running on fire.)

I would LIKE to think that, until the last moment, every generation of Laura sincerely believed that taking her children into the fire WOULD transform them into immortal creatures like herself.  But, the instant she discovered that it was, either, a great self-delusion designed to maintain her own existence, or a tricked sacrifice perpetuated in order to placate whatever force had created her and kept her alive, she was "reborn", her memory erased, and, eventually, the cycle started all over again.

L.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2004, 07:25:10 AM »
Actually, when she spoke her dialogue, Ms. Millay, with her unique upper-crust breathy delivery, sounded nearly HYPNOTIZED whenever speaking.   Whether intentional or not, this added to the suspense--- IS she a supernatural creature with a true purpose (however disastrous the results), or just a psychotic, obsessed human being

I couldn't agree with you more. I love the way Millay delivers her lines. "Unique upper-crust" is the perfect description for it. Laura treated everyone as if they were so far beneath her in her scheme of things that they were no more significant than puny ants that she could sweep away with the mere wave of her hand. That was actually her biggest flaw because that attitude caused her to underestimate the power of people like Vicki and Barnabas.

Offline A.I.Collins

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2004, 08:34:52 AM »

I agree with you guys about Diana Millay's delivery of her lines.She had a terrific elocution.She had an arrogance about her that set her apart from anyone she was speaking to.It was kinda soothing to me in a way.She always managed to spellbound me whenever she spoke.I love Diana Millay!!!

Adra

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2004, 10:53:01 AM »
My favorite Diana Millay scene (and one of my top-ten all-time DS favorites) is when she and Edward Collins, back in 1897, have a knock-down, drag-out squabbling husband-and-wife fight, both typically using their children as weapons against each other.  She was just brilliant.

Gerard