Author Topic: Faulty Childhood Memories of DS  (Read 3387 times)

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Faulty Childhood Memories of DS
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2003, 11:12:24 AM »
Gerard I thought I saw the David hanging scene too.

I know I saw it! ;)

I thought that the hanging scene was in some of the first showings of the movie but was edited out before the film hit wide distribution? If definitely not, then it must have been the picture in the HODS novel, or did I imagine that also?:)

I know I saw him hanging somewhere!

dom

Connie

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2003, 11:48:39 AM »

I haven't seen much of HODS, but there must be pictures of him hanging 'cause Ringo has the picture on that funny magazine cover he did a couple of weeks ago about David.  Remember?  LOL

-CLC

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2003, 12:06:58 PM »

I haven't seen much of HODS, but there must be pictures of him hanging 'cause Ringo has the picture on that funny magazine cover he did a couple of weeks ago about David.  Remember?  LOL

I remember...now. [blshy]

Dom (who's glad his *memory* is the first thing to go. ;))

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2003, 12:57:54 PM »

I know I saw it! ;)

I thought that the hanging scene was in some of the first showings of the movie but was edited out before the film hit wide distribution? If definitely not, then it must have been the picture in the HODS novel, or did I imagine that also?:)

dom

Wahoo!  From the Marilyn Ross HODS novel:

"Expectantly [Maggie] crossed to the closet door of her own room.  How cunning of him!  To hide right under her nose so it would be the last place she'd seek him.  She turned the knob of the closet door and swung it open.  The lightning blazed in through the window at the same insant in which she screamed.

"And she went on screaming - for she was staring at the shadow of a boy's body hanging in the closet.  She forced herself to take a close look at the horrifying sight and made sure that it was David.  From the way his body hung it seemed certain his neck had been broken.

"Maggie ran from the room and down the hall screaming."

However, Dom, there is no pic of the film-edited scene in the photos included in the book, but I KNOW I've also seen it (the pic, I mean) somewhere else.

Gerard

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2003, 01:08:01 PM »
Wahoo Number 2!

I found the pic!  It's in TLATKLS's "My Scrapbook Memories of Dark Shadows".  If I knew how to download the pic for viewing here, I would.  If anyone else has the book and can do that, it will convince several of us here that we are not stark, raving mad.  (Just raving mad.)

Gerard

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2003, 07:14:07 PM »
Wahoo Number 2! I found the pic!  It's in TLATKLS's "My Scrapbook Memories of Dark Shadows".  If I knew how to download the pic for viewing here, I would.  If anyone else has the book and can do that, it will convince several of us here that we are not stark, raving mad.  (Just raving mad.)Gerard

Here it is, Gerard:

[The edit is my fault, sorry!  --Midnite]
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline RingoCollins

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2003, 11:36:54 PM »
It's also in the DS movie book, in color on the second page of the color plates, if ya wanna see the little monster swinging in full color - or you can just page back here on the board to my 'Little Monster' cover!  [jester]Tee-hee!
We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2003, 02:10:10 AM »
I'd mention the 'headless guy'.
I distinctly remember Julia interacting w/said body (I can see the scene w/the head now).

patti

Isn't there a scene in the forest where Julia does find a decapitated body?  Perhaps that was it. . .
Julia99

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2003, 02:13:42 AM »
My FMDS involves when Barn is first cured by nutty Dr. Lange. . i disctinctly remembered seeing that scene in high school (mid-1984) with my Mom.  She had told me about this kooky show she had loved when i was a wee babe .. .anyway I remembered both Carolyn and Julia taking off scarfs and not being hickied. . .and when i saw it just a few months ago. ..lo and behold. . .Barn never bit Julia!  I now know he comes close once or twice later in the show but stops himself in the nick of time. . ."oh Julia forgive me!"  Now did he ever say that to any other honey he was nickin'?

And anyway. .that's why i now double check before i state anything as fact versus the imagination of my own mind.  .  .
Julia99

Offline Dawn

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2003, 05:56:51 PM »
J99 wrote:
And anyway. .that's why i now double check before i state anything as fact versus the imagination of my own mind.  .  .

Especially if you read or write fanfiction...that can really mess with the reality of what happened on the show!

Dawn
To live in hearts we leave behind, is not to die.

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2003, 08:29:50 PM »
Maybe you DID see it.  How different are the shows airing now than the ones originally broadcast?  Just wondering because in another thread the Collector Series is mentioned as containing things that don't appear elsewhere.  I'm not familiar with the differences between the 200 MPI volumes, Collector series/various compilations, and what Sci-Fi shows.

__ In looking at the Collector's Series (pre-Barnabas), they have a little black board in front of the camera with the show # and date and Take #.  (sometimes they even have the actors goofing around in front of the camera-great fun!).  I've seen some of the videos that have Take #2 on them. Maybe the original Takes weren't destroyed and were incorporated by mistake onto the MPI tapes.

I swear up and down that there are partially missing scenes on the DVD's as compared to the MPI videos.
Which upsets me since you can get so much more stuff on the DVD's why in the world would they cut any of it out?????  Argh!  
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2003, 05:56:16 PM »
The first few volumes of the DVD's are from the first volumes of the MPI DS videos, which cut out a lot of the Jason McGuire storyline.  I think volume 9 of the MPI video series is the beginning of full, uncut episodes.

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2003, 01:46:27 AM »
But I had 'switched' it to be more of an Icabod Crane thing, more like a headless BODY moving around; I distinctly remember Julia interacting w/said body (I can see the scene w/the head now).

Patti, there definitely is a scene with a headless body running around. (Not one of DS's shining moments, IMO) ... though I can't remember which storyline that's in. Could it possibly be in my favorite, 1840? I hope not ... but yet I think it might be Judah Zachary's body searching for his head.

Connie -- Sorry I couldn't respond to this earlier, but someone had mentioned a while back (at the time it occurred) that the recitation you refer to from The Egyptian Book of the Dead is NOT accurate.  Don't remember the details or who said this or in what thread!

re:  Post(s) immediately above this -- you've got to be kidding!! The DVDs edit some of the scenes!?!

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Connie

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2003, 07:48:47 AM »
... though I can't remember which storyline that's in. Could it possibly be in my favorite, 1840? I hope not ... but yet I think it might be Judah Zachary's body searching for his head.

You are correct sir.  It's in 1840.
Desmond to Quentin: "Quentin....the body....the body has somehow found the head."
Quentin nods in concern: "Judah Zachary."
ROFL!!

Connie -- Sorry I couldn't respond to this earlier, but someone had mentioned a while back (at the time it occurred) that the recitation you refer to from The Egyptian Book of the Dead is NOT accurate.

Thanks for the info.  I somehow doubted the authenticity.  Gee, I wonder why.  LOL  [hdscrt]

-CLC