Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0970  (Read 723 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0970
« on: September 06, 2015, 12:08:08 AM »
Robservations #970

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0970

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 01:56:13 PM »
Louis VO.  So, does Roger remember what Jeb is, and just how bad he is?  He was never under their spell.  Julia is taken to the Room. (Henceforth "The Room" shall refer to the PT Room, not Jeb's... there is, of course, always a "Room"!)  She makes the very first reference, I think, to Elliot Stokes, rather than Timothy, and look at the timing... She even refers to him simply as "Elliot", which is his middle name.  This is the first PT episode.  [spoiler]We then find PT Stokes goes by his first name of "Timothy".[/spoiler]  A small point, but don't judge me!  I need such interesting, light thoughts now...

Then comes one of my favorite "only on DS" moments.  Megan has happened to pick the very next room from the PT room, to lurk in!  Barnajulia hear her.  What does the conversation start with?  They lead her into the PT room, asking her if she knows anything about it.  Julia in particular is fun here, a mere mortal who in any other circumstance would be a terrified victim, but now, with Barnabas, she knows she can just get on with things, and pumps Meg for information.  Then Megan delivers a favorite line of mine: "Why is she questioning me?!"  Megan seems to be in her former light-headed blood-deprived state.  Maybe she needs to feed.

These posts are getting longer, and are hitting my eyes very badly.  Just had to say it.

Triskelion broach on VampMeg?  Probably just a Naga.  Anyway, nice acting from Marie.  It was as I had suspected, she's embracing it all now because there's absolutely nothing to go back to.  She gets this across very well, the sad mixed emotions.  You have to feel for her.

Another nice line later, Roger to Willie: "Delight in your ignorance."

Oh... it's only now that Megan bites Roger.  She apparently rates using Barnabas's background theme.  Willie and Julia plan Meg's staking... they're really conveying the extreme "discomfort" involved in staking her, someone Willie doesn't know, who was reportedly a nice, decent person before all these things happened to her.  Sometimes DS really comes through, even when storylines seem to be going all wrong.  They spend a lot of time on Willie and his feelings on this.

The PT Room.  I'm already totally sick of the music box theme, and this is only the second time!  Barnabas after doors close: "LET ME IN!!  LET ME IN!!"  Silly.  End.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2015, 04:18:59 PM »
Welcome to a certain ginormous portrait! And yes, also welcome to yet another music-box theme. Actually, I think we'll hear it only a few times more.

I believe that eventually people start referring to The Room as the Upstairs Parlor. Maybe it was intended to be a more private area for (part of) the family, as opposed to the downstairs drawing room, where they would receive guests.

Welcome back (again), Roger! I missed his stuffy blustering. He makes it plain to poor Elizabeth that he still detests Jeb.

Julia explains "Elliot"'s idea of Parallel Time in a nice bit of writing. Carrying a flashlight, Barnabas takes Julia to the East Wing and throws open the doors. [They were open at the end of the last episode, but they’re shut now!] The room is bare and dark. He starts to walk in, but Julia tries to stop him. I have a strange premonition, she warns him. Then she says it’s silly, and in the end they both go in. They are startled to hear a strange, repeated noise; when they turn around, they see that one of the casement windows is banging in the wind. As Barnabas shuts it, Julia speculates. How many lives have been lived in this room? How many moment of excitement and anger and pleasure? Barnabas replies, What frightens me is that what I saw here took place in the present; the Julia and Elizabeth in the brilliantly furnished room (as he too describes it) were wearing clothes of today. Then Julia speaks: I remember spending an evening at Professor Stokes’s last spring. Over after-dinner brandies, he talked about a theory he had been reading about parallel time. To explain, first Julia gets Barnabas to agree to the stipulation that they live in this universe in 1970. Then she recaps what Stokes told her: We accept the fact that our time is the only time that we can truly, truly know. Suppose time is like a road, and parallel to it there is another road. On one we live the lives we know, but on the other road our lives are different because we are in a different time band and we have made different choices. (At this word, Barnabas’s eyes light up.) For example, the oblivious Julia continues, in that other band of time, I could have made different choice when I was at college. Instead of being a doctor, I could have married and had children. (Barnabas’s eyes grow wide, as if he has never thought of his “dear friend” as a natural woman--shame on you, Barn!) Barnabas is absorbing this information as Julia continues: Barnabas! You don't think that through some warp in the time band that you have actually seen us living other lives? Then just as quickly she dismisses the idea: Oh, no, there has got to be a more rational explanation. Must there? Barnabas asks, his eyes shining.

Megan is all in black, but nobody has told her that her Naga brooch is so yesterday. Even as Barn tries to talk her out of her new existence--nice bit by Marie Wallace--Megan Disapparates, perhaps out of boredom.

Yet again, Roger browbeats "Loomis" for not knowing where Barnabas is. Now Willie is wearing a green sweater--was Orbach's having a sale? Later, Megan bites Roger.

Now, Sky is enough under Megan's spell that Barn and Julia rope Willie into staking Megan. But Sky is supposed to get in touch with Julia to tell her where Megan's coffin is. WTF?? It will all be over by dusk, Barnabas says. Julia prepares to leave. It won’t be safe for you to go through the woods alone, Barnabas frets. I have my proper protection, Julia assures him. She shows Barnabas a small silver cross on a chain, but he doesn’t even flinch or turn away or even throw his hands up in front of his eyes. [Thank goodness this storyline is almost done! The writers don’t even care how many stupid things they’re making the characters do!] Left alone, Barnabas wonders, What could be the secret of that room?

Julia distracts Elizabeth while Barn sneaks upstairs to the East Wing.

Barnabas returns to the room and opens the doors. This time he is rewarded. The furniture is still uncovered, and parallel Elizabeth (still in the pink sweater set and gray skirt) has brought a three-step wooden ladder (like the kind in fancy libraries). She seems unaware of Barnabas’s presence as she climbs up and starts to remove the still-draped painting from over the mantel. Hoffman arrives and objects. It should not be hanging here now, Elizabeth says. _She_ did not even want you in this room, Hoffman says with deepest contempt. How dare you come in here now? You will not take it down. _He_ is coming, Elizabeth argues. _He_ will not want it up. Then _he_ will tell us, Hoffman says smugly. Until then, let it hang. She smiles as she continues, Let everyone in this house see it. It has been covered long enough. She pulls the cloth away and uncovers an over-lifesize portrait of-- a beautiful blond woman with a self-absorbed, almost smug smile. She is wearing the blue sleeveless gown Elizabeth was removing from the wardrobe the first time Barnabas saw her, as well as matching over-the-elbow gloves. Angelique! he gasps in sheer amazement, but the others don’t seem aware of him. No, no! Elizabeth protests, climbing down the steps. No one must see it! Let everyone see it! Hoffman says defiantly--and let them remember her! How could anyone forget her? Elizabeth retorts in apparent disgust. Once again she shuts the doors in Barnabas’s face. Why can’t I get in? he laments. He pounds on the doors, calling, Let me in!....

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 07:58:46 PM »
My two new words for the day, which I've been Googling for definitions: "casement" and "disapparate".
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 09:53:05 PM »
My goodness, MT! "Disapparating" actually is a magical ability from the Harry Potter stories. Not everyone has it in the HP universe.

More mutual detestation and more pronouns from PT Elizabeth and Hoffman. I have the feeling that GH enjoyed playing her.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2015, 10:34:27 PM »
The slow reveal of the parallel time room takes center stage here but there's certainly no shortage of activity elsewhere. Willie is justifiably unhappy about being volunteered to stake Megan. How is he so lucky? Why not get Quentin

It's a great Roger episode. He has more to do here than he's had in too long a time. Two scenes stand out for me. One is the confrontation with Willie. Delight in your ignorance may become my new catch phrase. But the scene with Elizabeth is my favorite. It reestablishes their relationship. They clearly do love each other but often find themselves on opposite sides. Too bad that we don't get to see Roger attempting to make nice with his niece's new husband. That would have been classic.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2015, 03:28:10 AM »
Julia reveals that she and Eliot have a life offscreen where they talk of things as Parallel time and this room may be an example.  Barnabas is pleading to be let into the room with Angelique's portrait. Considering their past, he might want to stay away.
On a ordinary time note Julia shows Barnabas the cross that she will use to protect herself from vampire Megan.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2015, 02:48:45 PM »
They could have used this to start a romance between Julia and Professor Stokes.