Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0348  (Read 1214 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0348
« on: November 22, 2012, 01:21:36 AM »
Robservations - #348

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0348

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 04:31:57 PM »
Barnabas tells Julia how time seems like a rushing, roaring wind to him as JF gives a near-perfect delivery. He orders her to prepare the next treatment. He smiles at her reaction when he finishes, Come, take my hand to show we are in agreement. Unhappily she complies, and his two aged hands swallow up her smaller one.

Carolyn sees Sarah, and they talk about David. Having been carefully brought up, Sarah makes sure that Carolyn isn't afraid of her. Carolyn explains, We may have to send David away because he believes all kinds of things that couldn’t possibly be true. How do you know they’re not? Sarah asks. He was right about me, wasn’t he? I think David is acting the way he is because no one will believe him. If I’m possible, Sarah wonders, why can’t the rest be possible? Carolyn protests, Maybe you don’t know the stories David’s been telling. They’re all fantastic, and they’ve all be proven false. How do you know they’ve been proven false? Sarah persists. (This is the the closest she ever comes to telling on Barnabas.) Carolyn answers, Are you trying to tell me that Barnabas actually sl-- Just then there’s a knock on the door, sparing Sarah the necessity of a reply. In the moment it takes Carolyn to let her mother in, Sarah has disappeared.

But poor David is terrified when Carolyn reveals that she's seen Sarah--because Dr. Woodard saw her too, and look what happened to him!

Later, Barnabas arrives for his treatment. For the first time, we see Julia strap him into the chair--I'll bet she enjoys that part at least. But maybe dry ice isn't the best treatment for what ails him.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 09:28:10 PM »
Barnabas tells Julia how time seems like a rushing, roaring wind to him as JF gives a near-perfect delivery.

I think this is my favorite speech or line in DS.  I can also identify, but that's a long story I guess...

Sarah's in a difficult spot, trying to save everyone from Barnabas, including Barnabas.  She tries to tell people enough that they might avoid the dangers, but not enough actually to betray Barnabas and get him destroyed.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 04:19:10 PM »
That's one of my favorite speeches, too, MT. Some of the writing was downright inspired, it's always nice when the actors rose to the occasion--which they usually did, actually.

Yes, poor Sarah is in a terrible spot, as you describe so well. Poor little girl lost.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 08:10:41 PM »
This was a great show! Carolyn certainly has the lightest brightest cheeriest room at Collinwood (not that it did her any good it seems). And has anyone ever woken up looking lovelier? A year ago, under these circumstances, Carolyn might have expected a knife through the heart, waking up to David standing over her.

David is independently psychic. Anyone disagree? I thought maybe Sarah was 'showing' him things but I am walking away from this episode convinced he has his own psychic powers.

I was actually able to stomach Sarah in this episode. I was fascinated with her saying that she's able to appear to people who believe she is real. I felt a piece of the Sarah riddle had been solved, so to speak.

I loved both scenes between Carolyn and David. I am a big fat silly sentimental sucker for any scene involving the loving and caring and/or protection of David. Nancy Barrett is really good at portraying multileveled pathos and the history between the two characters makes it all the more poignant. Poor David, is about all I can say. Not only is he losing his allies one by one but he now feels a sense of responsibility for their deaths. Carolyn returning the toy soldier to David was a very touching, loving and telling gesture.

I agree, I really enjoyed (and was impressed by) the lines of Frid/Barnabas about the passing of time. I don't know that I would have related to them so well as a youngster. I really enjoyed Grayson's subtle simpatico performance. Barnabas doesn't deserve her thoughtfulness. He's still threatening her and taking no obvious responsibility for what's now happening to him.

Their closing scene was great until the climax. Julia communicates what she must regardless of Barn's objections. Good for you gurl. Barn's pretty stupid if you ask me, but I guess under the circumstances he feels he must be brutish. I don't imagine he's being purposely sadistic for the sheer pleasure of it. Grayson's climatic double shock was too corny, one would have been enough -- less is more and all that rot.

This episode has technical difficulties with tape drag and sound. Are these evident on the DVD? There were dead spots during the closing scene re: sound. And most of the episode had tiny tape head drag lines.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 12:33:52 AM »
David wakes up Carolyn to see if she is dead. What a great wake up. I'm surprised Carolyn doesn't keep her door locked.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2015, 06:10:40 AM »
That must be one loud church bell to be heard so clearly down in that thickly-walled, cavernous basement.

You'd think Carolyn would have at least one Beatles or Rolling Stones poster adorning the walls of her room. Those creepy old paintings seem wildly inappropriate for a girl of Carolyn's age in the Swinging '60s - even for one living in the isolated world of Collinwood.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2015, 06:14:23 AM »
At this point, Carolyn might be getting ideas in her head (a perfect place to have your ideas) about her being an heiress, and since she's getting along with her mother better, she might want to act like her successor, more dignified.  I forget what we do or don't see of Carolyn's room in 1966-7.  That's a time when she definitely should have been displaying her wildness in the decor.... I'm trying to imagine Carolyn trying to shock Liz with wall decorations... how 'bout actual, published nude Playboy centerfolds of herself?!  Surprise, Mother!!!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor