Author Topic: Thank God for DS in N.E.  (Read 5608 times)

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
Re: Thank God for DS in N.E.
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2003, 03:48:35 AM »
Carol, the local drivers Ed.  has a course that they have the kids complete.  It is called "Skid School".  They have to pass it along with the regular drivers ed. stuff.  Afterward the kids get a T-shirt.  Retired State Troopers usually teach it.

Birdie-- I of course had to learn in the family tank going down 122, don't step on the brakes...
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2003, 04:23:47 AM »

Are you crazy, AFAN?  Let'em keep that white crappola!  The winter of '79 I was living in Virginia, and in a two week period, I was [a]  rear-ended [in my car] by a station wagon full of nuns, who got out and promptly started giving me 'pamphlets' to make everything alright slid sideways into a schoolbus full of kids and [c] did a complete 360 on the freeway in a 4-wheel drive vehicle [before they called them Satan's Utility Vehicles]  I wasn't driving, and the guy who was kinda freaked, made me drive, and I put the Jeep in the ditch - twice - before we got home, 5 hours and two tow truck bills later!  I decided that night to move to where 'winter' was scraping my windshield twice a year, the high forties was a winter blast, and a heavy frost paralyzed the city!  Its 51 here right now - where's my fuzzy houseshoes???

Snow -schmoe! [unless TLATKLS keeps my toes warm!]

sending snow balls both to Afan and rRngo
iF ONE MORE SUV GETS ON MY TAIL YOU ARE GOING TO SEE ME ON CNN!(satan's vechicles that's pretty funny!!)
and Midnite snow is what you can't wear shoes in!hate boots at least nsnow boots!
Nancy i've been done that same thing HeeHee!
birdie pour a hot toddy for me!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2003, 04:31:30 AM »
Carol, the local drivers Ed.  has a course that they have the kids complete.  It is called "Skid School".  They have to pass it along with the regular drivers ed. stuff.  Afterward the kids get a T-shirt.  Retired State Troopers usually teach it.

I wish we had that program here. At my daughter's school, it depended upon when you signed up and how many were ahead of you that still had to take the course. She learned in the spring while others had the advantage of winter driving.

Birdie-- I of course had to learn in the family tank going down 122, don't step on the brakes...

My father's tank was an Oldsmobile 98(just loved that car!). Foot off the brake, light on the gas and steer, baby, steer!
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2003, 04:17:08 PM »
SNOW SUCKS!

COLD SUCKS!

GIMMEE SPRING!

As for you, Midnite, you'd better duck for cover.  A snowball is heading right for your boastful little head!

Love, Robin

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2003, 07:35:34 AM »
SNOW SUCKS!

COLD SUCKS!

GIMMEE SPRING!

As for you, Midnite, you'd better duck for cover.  A snowball is heading right for your boastful little head!

Love, Robin

i just thinking as i watched the weather and saw
the frigid weather predicted for this week I better be careful what i wish for next time as when we had that LONG run of 100 degree days this summer i said i would trade it for a cold spell in the winter! Bring back the Heat
[sun] i'm with you Robin! spring can't come fast enough
and i hate wishing time away! must be getting old!
Long to wear shoes again(don't rub it in Midnite ) LOL

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2003, 06:25:09 PM »
NO! NO! NO!!!

No rushing the seasons!!  I politely endure the hell of summer for the glory of autumn and I'm content to wait out winter patiently for the joy of spring (and the eternal return of the planting season!!)

Purely by luck we spent that horrible week of heat on Cape Cod last year.  Never even turned the fans on, the on-shore breeze was so constant.  At home, however, our dog-sitter was instructed to keep the air conditioning on high round the clock so the poor elderly Siberian wouldn't die of heat-stroke!! ::)

rainey
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2003, 11:59:22 PM »
Let it snow...let it snow...let it snow!

I was back East (Jersey & New York) this past week and it snowed everyday but two and I was in my glory. I love snow, from non-stick to umpteen feet. I love driving in it, shoveling it, walking (sometimes naked, lol) in it, and watching it fall delicately to the ground. I love the crunch of it beneath my shoes and even the way it stings my eyes causing me to squint when the wind blows. And the quiet treble-less world it creates.

On another (but similar) note, I see snow as my Dad's gift to me. He passed away a few years ago. Whenever I go back east during the winter months I always hope for snow. The week of his funeral I had hoped for snow and on my last day in town we got snow flurries and I interpreted it as a gift from my Dad.

Dom (fighting the harsh 63 degree weather here in sunny California in shorts and a t-shirt, Heh, heh, heh, heh, heh...)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2003, 06:35:51 AM »
I'm with Ringo, but it was enjoyable to hear everyone's horror stories about driving in the winter.  I have my own I could tell, but I don't care to relive them, thank you.

I've been in cold wintry climates all my life except for two blessed years in California, and I still can't get used to the winter.  I suppose I loved it as a kid, but the older I get, the less I can stand it.

Still only bare ground here in the North, but the temp dropped 50 degrees last week, so we're enjoying things at around 0 Farenheit.

This will play into an off-topic post I hope to make when I have time, about how "I nearly moved to Collinwood."  Sorry for being so elliptical, but I'll tell my tale soon ...

Not sure if it will be too off-topic for the forum, but it does relate to DS, to a degree ... (pun was a happy coincidence!)

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2003, 12:50:27 PM »
Dom Wrote:

I was back East (Jersey & New York) this past week and it snowed everyday but two and I was in my glory. I love snow, from non-stick to umpteen feet. I love driving in it, shoveling it,

YOU LOVE SHOVELING IT??!  Well now I only wish I knew you were in N.Y. because I'd certainly invite you over here had I known how much you enjoy shoveling snow!! ;-)

(On another (but similar) note, I see snow as my Dad's gift to me. He passed away a few years ago. Whenever I go back east during the winter months I always hope for snow. The week of his funeral I had hoped for snow and on my last day in town we got snow flurries and I interpreted it as a gift from my Dad.  

Awww, that is so sweet Dom. I love how you think.
Im sorry to hear about your dad. Perhaps this is his way of giving something to you after his passing.

P.S. Welcome back!!:-)

Cassandra[/font]
"Calamity Jane"

Nancy

« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2003, 04:52:56 PM »

I was back East (Jersey & New York) this past week and it snowed everyday but two and I was in my glory. I love snow, from non-stick to umpteen feet. I love driving in it, shoveling it, walking (sometimes naked, lol) in it, and watching it fall delicately to the ground. I love the crunch of it beneath my shoes and even the way it stings my eyes causing me to squint when the wind blows. And the quiet treble-less world it creates.

Dom, I live in the Northeast corridor and I love the snow.  I don't mind driving in it at all and I don't even mind the shoveling.  It's good exercise, and perfectly safe when you know how to use your legs and not your back when shoveling  About two weeks ago, a predicted two inch snow storm turned into five and it was gorgeous.  The soft quiet the scene generates - just beautiful.  I like ice storms though they can be very destructive, and they are definitely not safe to drive in.  However, the aftermath of an ice storm is beautiful to look at.  I think I am going to get my wish this winter and have a few good snow storms.   Our previous winters have been pretty mild.

Nancy

Offline dom

• Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2003, 11:17:24 PM »
Dom Wrote:

YOU LOVE SHOVELING IT??!  Well now I only wish I knew you were in N.Y. because I'd certainly invite you over here had I known how much you enjoy shoveling snow!! ;-)

I remember being snowed in at my aunt's (coincidentally, Casssandra) in the Bronx during one those infamous 12 inch snow storms to blow through the city in the sixties (or was it the seventies?). I remember we were watching Ed Sullivan and he announced on the show that the storm had dropped twelve inches of snow on the city (bringing it to a standstill). Anyway, I remember the old men in the household readying to shovel the snow with a few shots of whiskey. Then as each got too chilled to shovel, they'd come in for another shot and maybe a meatball or two my aunt would be cooking for that day's early dinner. So if you got a bottle and meatballs cooking the next time it snows, Cassandra - I'm there!!! Oh, and you'll have to put up with some snowball throwing and snowman building...Snow always makes me feel like a kid again, I love it.

Awww, that is so sweet Dom. I love how you think.
I'm sorry to hear about your dad. Perhaps this is his way of giving something to you after his passing.

P.S. Welcome back!!:-)

Cassandra[/font]

That's exactly the way I think of it, Cassandra. It's a very spiritual (for lack of a better word) experience for me when it snows. And thanks for the welcome back.

Dom

Offline dom

• Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2003, 11:20:09 PM »

Dom, I live in the Northeast corridor and I love the snow.  I don't mind driving in it at all and I don't even mind the shoveling.  It's good exercise, and perfectly safe when you know how to use your legs and not your back when shoveling  About two weeks ago, a predicted two inch snow storm turned into five and it was gorgeous.  The soft quiet the scene generates - just beautiful.  I like ice storms though they can be very destructive, and they are definitely not safe to drive in.  However, the aftermath of an ice storm is beautiful to look at.  I think I am going to get my wish this winter and have a few good snow storms.   Our previous winters have been pretty mild.

Nancy, I think we must have been roommates in a past life, or perhaps we will be in the next.

Dom

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2003, 06:27:59 AM »
Dom, my son will gladly share the shovel with you.  

Birdie--who can't imagine living anywhere else but New England, but who know?
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline dom

• Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2003, 08:58:20 AM »
Dom, my son will gladly share the shovel with you.  

Birdie--who can't imagine living anywhere else but New England, but who know?

Cassandra, you better get another pound of ground beef! :)

dom

PS - And if Birdie's son is over 21, another bottle...

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2003, 09:28:33 AM »

I was back East (Jersey & New York) this past week and it snowed everyday but two and I was in my glory. I love snow, from non-stick to umpteen feet. I love driving in it, shoveling it, walking (sometimes naked, lol) in it, and watching it fall delicately to the ground. I love the crunch of it beneath my shoes and even the way it stings my eyes causing me to squint when the wind blows. And the quiet treble-less world it create

Dom (fighting the harsh 63 degree weather here in sunny California in shorts and a t-shirt, Heh, heh, heh, heh, heh...)

Bring on summer! And things you can do with shoes on!
you wear BOOTS in snow , not shoes(at least not mine
and I hate boots!)

jennifer
going to Tahiti at least in her mind if it snows again i'.m not leaving this house until spring!
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV