Author Topic: IM Problems  (Read 865 times)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
IM Problems
« on: October 23, 2005, 12:27:57 AM »
Just sending Midnite & MB an im; I first put in MB, no dice, then MysteriousBenefactor (no space), still no dice, THEN Mysterious Benefactor.

#1, between each WRONG name, it gave me the 120sec. rule (pain)
#2, the 'find cousin' button did no good
#3 after the im allegedly [hall2_shocked] went through, I then went to MB's profile, but to 'send this cousin an e-mail' it's listed as MysteriousB (so, I don't know if he got the im).

What's with the 'find cousin'; I've tried using it before, to no avail.

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: IM Problems
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2005, 05:29:33 AM »
Just sending Midnite & MB an im; I first put in MB, no dice, then MysteriousBenefactor (no space), still no dice, THEN Mysterious Benefactor.

Members can send members PM by either using a member's name (the name that appears in their posts, i.e Mysterious Benefactor (with a space between) for me or Midnite for Midnite) or a member's username (the name they use to login and which appears at the top of the summary page of their profile, i.e. MysteriousB for me and also Midnite for Midnite.)

What's with the 'find cousin'; I've tried using it before, to no avail.

The "find cousin" works best when one uses it with the wildcards. As with the way wildcards are used almost universally on the Internet, the questionmark: ? substitues for any one character/letter and the asterisk: * substitures for any string of multiple characters/letters. In other words, if one enters "M?dnite" (without the quotes) in the search box, the system will check to see if the forum has any members with the names/usernames Madnite, Mbnite, Mcnite, ... M1nite, M2nite, M3nite, ... etc. until every valid character in that second position has been checked for. However, if, say, one were to enter the letter o immediately followed by an asterisk: "o*" (again, without the quotes) in the search box, the system will look for every member's name, username, or e-mail address (so long as it's not hidden) that begins with the letter "o" (both upper and lower case). The current results for that would be:

amy - because her e-mail address begins with o
ohiodmo - because their name begins with o
onyx_treasure - because her name begins with o
tommage - because their e-mail address begins with o

And clicking on a member's name will automatically enter their name in the "To:" box.

For a further explaination of how to use the PM feature, check out in the forum's Help section: SMF User Help: Personal Message

And just so you'll know, I did receive your PM.  [hall2_wink]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: IM Problems
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005, 04:20:45 AM »
#3 after the im allegedly [hall2_shocked] went through,

If a PM does not go through to one or more recipients, you'll get an error page showing the following:

Unable to find cousin 'X'.
and
One or more 'to'-recipients could not be found.
Also, the word To: will show up in red.

If, at the same time, the PM was successfully sent to one or more recipients, that same page will also display this:

PM successfully sent to 'X'.

If you don't see the error page and your browser hasn't terminated the session for some reason, you can assume that your PM went through to all the recipients you listed.