Author Topic: Do you think that DS was more spooky in blcak and white.  (Read 1944 times)

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
Do you think that DS was more spooky in blcak and white.
« on: February 14, 2007, 04:20:25 PM »
I know that I saw the show in Black and White.  With the early black and white they had an effect. Reminds me of the Republic Monster Movies. I think it added to the tension of the show.  The color gave it a warmer feeling. Thoughts.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
Re: Do you think that DS was more spooky in blcak and white.
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 04:44:02 PM »
I agree that the B&W episodes gave DS more oomph. I think the black and white episodes where Barnabas shows up are some of the best because they most certainly add to the gothic feel of the show. When the color came along, it was totally different, and things that may have once been thrilling or ever (gasp!) scary in black and white became almost normal.

This is one of the reasons that I enjoy the kinescope episodes so much, because when one pops up here or there in the middle of all those color episodes, it's really a treat. I'd venture to say that the kinescope episodes are much better than the regular black & white episodes because the kinescopes give the show that 30s movie feel, with the shifty and at times blurry visuals and scratchy sound.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 08:25:01 PM »
While the color episodes were often very lush and beautiful (especially when set in period times, particularly with the costumes), the black-and-white were far more atmospheric.  Black-and-white, too, seems more "forgiving" regarding special effects - for example, the ghosts appeared more "3-D."  Also, during the black-and-white period, the exterior filmed shots were used, giving the show a unique quality, along with more sets and background performers giving it a more realistic approach.  Something was lost with the transition to color.

Gerard

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 09:42:12 PM »

I liken the differences to the Universal horror films and the Hammer horror films.  I like both the black & white and the color.  They were both great, but I do think the b&w was more atmospheric and spooky.    However, the color could be very visually stimulating and beautiful as well, with its moody lighting in "many somber colors" as the viewmaster reels informed us.

As Brandon Collins said the kinescopes definitely gave the show that old horror movie feel.  I like those episodes too.
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 11:03:19 PM »
I don't the color actually helped until 1897.    Think what it would have been like if the first color moment, instead of being in the middle of a Blue Whale bar scene in 1967, was the same moment VW found herself back in time, looking at the Old House in sunshine, cherry blossoms, or whatever they were, everyplace.

The color was unpleasant and washed-out looking for quite awhile.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007, 11:23:43 PM »
There were some very rich color-soaked episodes that were downright distracting. I imagine there was some tech. aspect they didn't take into account, or perhaps they were experimenting with what would and wouldn't work especially re: video as opposed to film.

I read that Superman's suit was brown instead of red because of the way it came acrosss in black and white (until they started filming it in color) - so I am thinking that it is that sort of thing that needed to be worked out for the transition from B&W to color.

I wonder which soap was the first to convert to color?

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2007, 11:24:06 PM »
I'm old enough to have lived with black and white television for some time.

I think of black and white, and color photography, as two different art forms, requiring two different ways of seeing.

I think black and white is the more difficult art form, requiring the director and the cinematographer to be much more creative,  and I love seeing films shot that way.

George Cloony's "Good Night, and Good Luck." was an absolute thrill for me.

When my folks bought a color TV, watching DS was more than a bit jarring.  But I got over it..... ;)

"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline dom

• Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2007, 11:27:23 PM »
I wanted (but forgot) to mention that the color looks gorgeous in the captures I've seen from the DVDs.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2007, 11:29:10 PM »
DS was ABC's first soap to switch to color, so they were blazing the trail for ABC. But I think NBC's Days of Our Lives was the very first color soap back in '65.

Offline dom

• Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2007, 11:34:27 PM »
You know, with all that's said (ad nauseam) about how tight the budget was for DS, it is amazing to think they went to color at all, nonetheless to be the first (for the network).

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2007, 11:37:33 PM »
Actually, with all that's said about how tight the budget was for DS, it's easy to forget that DS was ABC's highest budgeted soap (which no doubt explains why General Hospital looked like it was shot in front of two cardboard walls or even just one background wall half of the time). But then, DS was ABC's highest rated soap for much of the time it was on the air.

Offline dom

• Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2007, 12:25:15 AM »
LOL, re: GH.

Offline Willie

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2007, 05:02:50 PM »
I think the B&W added wonderfully to the gothic atmosphere and overall spookiness of the show.  I also love the ocasional cinescope episode - what seemed normal suddenly gets much more scary.  I remember one 1897 ep. where Vicki was on trial, and Trask looked truly sinister in B&W.

B&W can really add to a show - I saw Van Lewton's White Zombie the other day and that was fabulous with the B&W photography.  Probably would have just looked cheesy in color.

Offline JVjr

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2007, 05:29:01 PM »
I think that it was spookier in B&W, mainly because the show was new, but as the show went on, it kind of became more camped and it seemed repetitive. There were still some spooky moments later in the show, but i think in genral, all the spooky ideas were in the beginning, and that is what made the B&W episodes more spooky. It kind of reminds me of Lost In Space, where the show started out scary, and then was campy by the end of the series.  JVjr  

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2007, 07:15:48 PM »
i'm in two minds about this.

i think the black-and-white format perfectly suited the early,gothic,victoria winters stuff.very noir.i also think the early barnabas storyline's sense of creepiness was heightened in black-and-white.

storywise it was somewhat odd to make the transition to color in a random blue whale scene(however a signifigant one since it marked the return of maggie evans)rather than in an episode that marked a major transition in storyline or time period.it might have been cool if the show had gone to color when vicki finds herself outside the old house in 1795...sort of a "wizard of oz" type effect.

at the same time my favorite period on the show is the early color episodes.from about the time that julia comes to stay at collinwood till the seance that leads to 1795 are my favorite months.i just love that part of the show.

i also think some of the later "trippier" storylines were enhanced by the color format. [happy10]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.