Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0231  (Read 2301 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0231
« on: February 12, 2007, 06:39:02 AM »

Offline Alondra

• Senior Poster
  • Dark Shadows Forever!
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0231
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 02:36:06 PM »
Episode #231

They have taken Maggie to bed and Burke and Vicki have left. Joe and Sam are beside Maggie's bed and they are glad that Vicki was there to take that call that alerted them to go to the cemetary to find her. They never would have thought to go there! The doctor should arrive soon and they speculate about how she could have gotten those marks on her neck. (These people have never seen Dracula) The dogs howl and Maggie reacts (That's HIS call!) They sound so close! Sam gripes about the dogs constantly howling and then notice that again the double doors of the patio are open. Why are they always open? She must have left the house through those doors! What is taking that horse and buggy doctor so long to get here? (LOL)

When the dogs howl again Maggie reacts and wakes up. She wants to know what happened to her and Sam tells her she had a bad night. She left the house and they found her. Joe tells Sam not to tell her where she was but of course she wants to know. Sam and Joe both place the blame on themselves for leaving her alone. Maggie is shocked to learn that she ordered Joe out of the house. They tell her she left the house and was found wandering until Burke and Vicki found her. She seems to recall having seen Burke. It seems as if Burke left her to go find someone. She orders them to tell her where she was found and Sam tells her. She is very distraught to learn she was found at the cemetary. She complains about being very cold.

Later Dr. Woodard is with her (Robert Gerringer!)  :D He takes her temperature and tells them that it's five degrees below normal. He takes her pulse and notices that her hand is very cold. Sam says he increased the heat in the room and put extra blankets on her because she complained of being cold. When the doctor goes to take her blood pressure she objects but he says he wants her to be well. (I'm sure she will have LOW blood pressure, poor thing!) He asks how many of the pills he gave her did she take? She doesn't remember. He notes that she looks gray. He wants to look into her eyes and she objects to this as well but the men are able to force her to submit to the doctor. He comments that she is a difficult patient, is not at all cooperative. He asks if she has ever sleep walked, or thought about it (how would one think of sleepwalking?) Sam tells the doctor about the dream Maggie'd had about the coffin (Maggie becomes very agitated at hearing this) and the doctor tries to put this together with the fact that she was found at the cemetary.

Then he notices the two puncture wounds on Maggie's neck and asks how she got them. She doesn't remember. He says they were not there before (of course they must have been!) She must've gotten them at the cemetary. When he wants to put something on them to avoid infection she hollers that they must be left alone. This confuses the men very much. The doctor does put some antiseptic on them. Sam asks if it's a cut and the doctor says no, there are two puncture holes. They should be bloody but they are not and Sam says there was no blood on the clothing. (that's because Barnabas was a neat drinker, since I've seen other vampires who were much more messy, such as in the 1991 revival) Dr. Woodard again asks Maggie how she came by those wounds. Maggie gets very agitated and orders them to get out of there and leave her alone!

In the living room Dr. Woodard is very concerned about the two losses of blood Maggie has sustained in such a short time (he says nothing about Willie, but like some have pointed out, that doesn't mean he wasn't thinking of it) He wants to give her a transfusion and as it happens Joe has the same blood type as Maggie (this was convenient, he didn't have to leave and go find some at the bloodbank) He said she was too weak to be moved so they can't take her to the hospital. The doctor is concerned that Maggie may go into shock.

Later the doctor is pumping Joe's blood into Maggie and she has passed out so she doesn't resist. Unfortunately the howling dogs awaken her and she gets upset when she sees what they're doing. She hollers "Don't take his blood! Don't take his blood!" She tries to tear out the needle and Sam has to hold down her other hand so she can't do so.

In the living room, the doctor gives Sam a prescription for a tranquilizer and warns him that he must keep a constant watch on her. He needs to get others to take a shift to watch her when he can't. She is a sleepwalker and must be restrained. The people he gets to help must be people Maggie trusts. He will determine a treatment for her. Now he must leave though he doesn't want to, but he has a surgery early in the morning. He tells Sam that Maggie's condition is NOT normal, and he is not to let her out of his sight.

In Maggie's room, she stirs and Joe tells her that Sam has gone to get the prescription. She's distressed that he gave her some of his blood, she didn't want it and she orders him to stay out of this! Sam returns and tells Joe he can go now and he does. Sam sits up in a chair to keep an eye on Maggie. (he's such a dedicated father!) Later the dogs howl again and Maggie gets up. She sees Sam dozing in the chair (poor man must be exhausted!) and tries to open the double doors. Sam was wise and locked them. She rattles them trying to open them, and he wakes up. He pulls her back from the door, back to the bed and she hollers, "Let me out! Let me out!"

This was a hard episode to watch and made me really hate that rotten vampire. It was good to see Robert Gerringer as Dr. Woodard, I like his manner.

Great acting by everyone today. KLS was superb as the victim trying hard to resist treatment.

Alondra

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 06:37:26 PM »
Our favorite Dr is back, that is nice. I loved the line Sink into deep shock, is there any other kind?  Here are some stray comments, Maggie has gotten her hair combed and it looks pretty neat??? I liked Alondra's comment about Barn being a neat drinker, he hadn't always been. Also how it wasn't being put together.

Not trying to be critical, Sam never changed his shirt type or color. (Maybe he buys them in bulk, my brother is like that.) Also did you see how Sam was smoking in the sick room, he wouldn't get away with that now.

Very good show. I can see people at home going it is Barnabas. Throwing things at the screen. Also the cows and Willie put it together just like we are.  [5323]
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 10:07:38 PM »
A historic episode indeed:  Robert Gerringer's debut on DS.

I am LOL over Lori's speculation that Sam bought those shirts in bulk!  You have to wonder whether this same was true of some of those ugly dresses they made Julia wear, week after week!

G.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 10:24:29 PM »
Yay! The REAL Dr. Woodard has arrived.

And what a difference to....you can hear the concern, the emotion in his voice, as played by Robert Gerringer. The other guy was just a cold, unfriendly quack!

Poor Maggie, her personality is changing more and more drastically by the minute (no fault of her own though). I agree that Kathryn was great today. Maggie was always personally my favorite out of all of KLS's characters, but I especially loved her in these early Black and White episodes. More great acting from her is still to come in this storyline.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2007, 01:54:41 AM »
When I watch some of the 4-character episodes I think, "Where is everybody?"  When I watch other 4-character episodes, I get to the closing credits and can't believe there were only four people - it was just so interesting!  Today's episode was of the latter type.  I decided that what I really want to do is to apply for a grant from some reputable foundation to study the varying effects of vampire bites on people.  Willie knew exactly what was going on.  Hated it, but couldn't fight it.  Julia knew exactly what was going on, and sometimes she loved it and sometimes she hated it.  Carolyn knew exactly what was going on, and became the most willing and wily servant imaginable.  Maggie - well, she's like an animal.  Doesn't understand what's going on, but has some sort of instinctive knowledge of what's required.  Why doesn't she want Joe's blood?  You'd think she'd be happy to have some more to process and deliver to her Master - but perhaps her animal instinct is telling her to go for the gold and become a vampire herself.

Hurrah for Robert Gerringer!  Pronounced with a hard initial G - I keep forgetting that.  I love the difference between the bedside manner with Maggie and the no-nonsense manner with Sam outside Maggie's bedroom.  Does anybody know the story of how Gerringer came to replace the first Dr. Woodard?

And where is the 24-hour pharmacy in Collinsport?

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2007, 02:03:40 AM »
I decided that what I really want to do is to apply for a grant from some reputable foundation to study the varying effects of vampire bites on people.  Willie knew exactly what was going on.  Hated it, but couldn't fight it.  Julia knew exactly what was going on, and sometimes she loved it and sometimes she hated it.  Carolyn knew exactly what was going on, and became the most willing and wily servant imaginable.  Maggie - well, she's like an animal.  Doesn't understand what's going on, but has some sort of instinctive knowledge of what's required.  Why doesn't she want Joe's blood?  You'd think she'd be happy to have some more to process and deliver to her Master - but perhaps her animal instinct is telling her to go for the gold and become a vampire herself.

I think that it had to do with the writer that did the cows, you know they didn't stay around for a long time. As to the pharmacey it was in the hospital that had just a few rooms and maybe 2 hallways.  It seemed like there was never a nurse when you needed one. DR W was in the same room as the hospital room it looked the same window.   ^-^

Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

CT!_CTP/FITBs

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2007, 05:10:41 AM »
Be sure to check out these (hopefully  ;)) humorous topics related to this episode:

From "Caption This!":

From "Complete This Phrase / Fill In The Blank(s)":

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2007, 10:04:31 PM »
It's nice to see Robert Gerringer as Dr. Woodard.  He plays the character with warmth, concern and more conviction.

This was a very intense episode, Maggie resisting help and the doctor, father and boyfriend fighting desperately to help her.  Everyone did such a fine job in their roles.  Even though the vampire wasn't in the episode, I could feel his presence with every howl.

I remember the doctor coming to our home for visits but never did they volunteer to spend the night.  Just because he had surgery the next morning, Woodard didn't stay but he suggested he would.  That amazed me.

Maybe a Walgreens.  LOL ;)  Did we have all night pharmacies in the 60's?
Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2007, 10:29:32 PM »
I doubt they had pharmacies in Collinsport that stayed open past 6pm, much less ones that were open all night.  ;)  They certainly didn't exist where I lived back then.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2007, 10:51:13 PM »
I get the point, but, I don't think it's too much of a stretch to think that the pharmacist would open shop to fill a scrip, in a small town, in Maine, in the sixties. Especially in an emergent situation.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2007, 10:56:54 PM »
Perhaps the good people of Collinsport were too polite to ask the pharmacist to open up after hours. If they needed something immediately, they went to the hospital emergency room. Or, of course, once she was around town, they simply called Julia to give it to them because she probably had almost every drug then known to medical science either in her bag, stashed somewhere in her room, or stashed somewhere at the Old House.  [wink2]

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2007, 11:12:42 PM »
I guess I missed the point after all.

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2007, 12:40:40 PM »
Yay!  Robert Gerringer's first day!  He was my favorite Dr. Woodard, too!  His bedside manner was MUCH better, and he was pretty handsome, too. [winkg]

I agree the performances by all were GREAT!  Maggie's especially.  I love Sam's fatherly concern and Joe's understanding.  I wondered about that 24-hour pharmacy, too.

I noticed something the writers overlooked, though.  Joe said his blood type was A, but was it Positive or Negative?  That was very important.  [6184]

----- Sally ----

[coolg]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2007, 02:21:48 AM »
I noticed something the writers overlooked, though.  Joe said his blood type was A, but was it Positive or Negative?  That was very important.

I wondered about that too.  I guess the writers didn't worry about it. ;)
Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/