Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0909  (Read 2235 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0909
« on: January 08, 2010, 09:48:28 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0909
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 11:38:49 PM »
Barnabas did quite a thorough job with Quentin's amnesia,  and also with the warning that Barnabas would stay his executioner's hand only once.  Grant Douglas didn't seem particularly hypnotized (in the true Dark Shadows way, I mean) when Julia was working on him, though.  Maybe Julia was too distracted by his beauty to do the hypnosis right.

Olivia Corey surprised me today with her reaction to hearing of a man with amnesia: "How sad for his family."  If she is Amanda Harris, then surely she'd feel more empathy for the amnesiac than for his family.  But maybe she is only Amanda's granddaughter, intent on bringing him to see her dying and decrepit grandmother so that Granny can see, once more before she dies, the features on which all women love to linger.

I assume we're meant to conclude that Alexander shape-shifted into the Carolyn-at-8 lookalike and then back again.  It's a neat trick.  Would he have been able to do it if Carolyn's hair had been brown instead of blond?  It seemed to me that the girl's eyes were brown, but the camera can do strange things.  We know that Nancy Barrett's eyes are blue, and I think probably Alexander's eyes are supposed to be blue, but I'm not sure of that.

Dennis Patrick looked admirably fit and trim as he ran down the stairs today.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 02:14:36 AM »
Quote from: Lydia
Barnabas did quite a thorough job with Quentin's amnesia,

Then Barnabas DID erase his memory?  Or do you mean with his driving?  [confused4]

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 12:30:07 PM »
I've always assumed that Barnabas deliberately caused Quentin's amnesia in the hospital room, an assumption so automatic on my part that it never occurred to me that there could be any other cause.  I hate the idea that the amnesia could have come from the accident, because that would make it a really tired plotpusher.  But it wouldn't be the first plotpusher ever seen in Dark Shadows.

When Quentin was under hypnosis, he mentioned some male who had threatened him.  I figured that was a vague memory of Barnabas threatening him in the hotel room, but it could also have been a vague memory of Barnabas's cold, cruel face as Barnabas ran him down.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 04:16:03 PM »
GH VO:  A new daytime Collinwood image?

Chris has on an ugly jacket.   My bedroom carpet has random colors thrown together to make an ugly non-color too.   It might have come from the same era.   I cover it up.

In family album, CS's name is spelled:  "CaroLyn".  Strange.

Q hasn't forgotten that he speaks ironically and sarcastically.   Who's Frederick Thorne?    Oh no!  Not BLACK BEAUTY!  Dum dum DUM!

And Ms. Corey wins the Give Quentin Free Room and Board Sweepstakes!   Julia can't compete as a sugar mama, aw.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 05:07:29 PM »
Is there a screen capture of that? 

I wish they still used the actual front shots of the house with the driveway, at least in the present time, like they did in the b & w episodes.

GH VO:  A new daytime Collinwood image?

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 07:02:54 PM »
Actually, I don't think it's new. It's the same shot that's available as as an avatar: - and I'm pretty sure I took it from one of the early '68 eps. I'd have to go back to check when it first appeared...

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 09:33:04 AM »
From the voiceover:  "Sunshine lies peacefully on the walls of Collinwood..."
Nice.
"...but inside, dark terror stalks Paul Stoddard."
I've seen the stalking dark terror, and its name is Donna McKechnie's lashes!

I could be wrong, but judging by how uncomfortable she looked puffing on a cigarette, I'm guessing that Donna was not a smoker.

I think Olivia's lounging pjs (?) are ugly, her fur coat doesn't do a thing for me, and I don't like her poofy hair.  Okay, done now.

It was sweet of GH to seamlessly prompt Don B when he forgot his line.

Julia:  "Will you put yourself in my hands for as long as is necessary, and stay in Collinsport?"
Grant:  "Sure, why not?  As long as the drinks are on the house."
If that didn't sound like Quentin, I don't know what would.

Carolyn-at-8 was played by the uncredited Lisa Ross.

Did the red flowers in the urn on Grant's bedside table arrive via I-Ching from 1897?

It's nice to get a peek at places we've never seen before.  In this ep, we see 2 doors on the unseen wall of the Collinwood foyer.  To get there, Paul and Julia walked past the grandfather clock (and you can see the side of clock when looking out into the foyer from inside one of the rooms [along with a camera and a pile of cable wires, but I digress]).  However, the placement of a corner to the left of those doors makes no sense, Paul pointed in the wrong direction toward the drawing room, and Julia would've had to zigzag to reach Paul the way she did.  And I really need to stop obsessing over props and sets.  [cheesyb]

It seemed to me that the girl's eyes were brown, but the camera can do strange things.  We know that Nancy Barrett's eyes are blue, and I think probably Alexander's eyes are supposed to be blue, but I'm not sure of that.
I think you can tell from MB's pics of them in the Robservations for this ep that Alex's eyes are blue and young Carolyn's are brown.

I've always assumed that Barnabas deliberately caused Quentin's amnesia in the hospital room, an assumption so automatic on my part that it never occurred to me that there could be any other cause.  I hate the idea that the amnesia could have come from the accident, because that would make it a really tired plotpusher.  But it wouldn't be the first plotpusher ever seen in Dark Shadows.
Hmm, I bet a case could be made for either scenario.  If Julia hadn't accused Barnabas of wiping his memory, I probably would have gone completely with the tired plotpusher explanation, but now I'm just not sure.

When Quentin was under hypnosis, he mentioned some male who had threatened him.  I figured that was a vague memory of Barnabas threatening him in the hotel room, but it could also have been a vague memory of Barnabas's cold, cruel face as Barnabas ran him down.
IF his amnesia was caused by the trauma, I'm thinking that it was more likely a memory of Barnabas' murderous intent in the hospital since it happened after the accident.  In other words, he would have forgotten everything up to and including the accident, but I'm just guessin'.

And Ms. Corey wins the Give Quentin Free Room and Board Sweepstakes!   Julia can't compete as a sugar mama, aw.
Hah!

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 09:49:30 AM »
And I really need to stop obsessing over props and sets.
No, you don't.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2010, 05:18:34 PM »
lol

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2010, 10:09:25 PM »
I've seen the stalking dark terror, and its name is Donna McKechnie's lashes!

ROFLMAO! Thanks Midnite! I needed a good hearty LOL! ;) MUAH!

YAY! GRAY DAY! Not to be confused with a GREY DAY! A GRAY DAY is a fun day for me that is.  LOL  I know I am making no sense whatsoever but since y'all know me I am sure you know who I am referring to. :)  

So apparently the Leviathan child can change shape which would make him a Shape shifter! Where are the Winchester boys when you need them??

I too was under the impression that Donna M didn't smoke and it was just for the character to look glamorous, cause you know lung cancer is just that!   Sorry...I am slightly slap happy!  So I feel snarky.  

I personally like Amanda's jacket because it's a Female Impersonator's dream! :)  I like the flirty vibe between Chris and Olivia.

OMG!  Gorgeousness on my screen!  Hello Grant Douglas or whoever you are!  

Rent for 55 a month?  Uh where can I sign up?

I like DS little “HO HO HO” tick! What I mean by that I have no idea!  I wrote this a few weeks back!  Maybe someone can refresh my memory?  

It looks as if Gray is starting to grow her hair out!  

Love the burns Grant! YUMMY YUMMY FOR MY TUMMY!  Just don't tell Quentin I fawned over you if he ever returns please!  Thanks!
I noticed too that DB forgot his line and Grayson helped him out.  It reminds me of the time JF prompted Grayson in the Mausoleum with the moon line! “And there was no moon….”

Cool seeing the study viewing the foyer!  I have in my notes is that cable under the clock…thanks for confirming it Midnite!  

“Well you certainly look very handsome!” Julia to Grant!  Julia you Cougar you…Rowr!
I can see Quentin and Julia totally being together because let’s face it she isn’t an idiot ingénue roaming corridors calling out for Barnabas!   And yes Julia he does look HOT!  

Olivia…that bitch!  How dare she swoop in and steal Grant from Julia!  I wish there would have been a cat fight!  Can you imagine!??  I would have loved to seen Julia beat Olivia senseless with her gloves!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2010, 12:46:35 AM »
I like DS little “HO HO HO” tick! What I mean by that I have no idea!  I wrote this a few weeks back!  Maybe someone can refresh my memory?

I just watched it yesterday but I have no idea!  lol

I would have loved to seen Julia beat Olivia senseless with her gloves!

Oh god yes!

Regarding the message under your avatar and mention of the Winchester boys-- that's also RobinV's favorite show, and the reason we don't see her around here anymore.   [snow_sad]  Muah back atcha!

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2010, 03:25:20 AM »
Well look I can balance all my shows! :)  I am active in Supernaturl Fandom, DS Fandom and Charmed Fandom! I could never leave this place regardless of my love for any other show! I love my boys but  you guys mean to much to me to skedaddle!!  [snow_kiss] However, I don't wanna get to off topic but Supernatural is a smart show and on the caliber of Buffy/Angel all the way! Great writing which is where it all begins!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2010, 05:49:10 AM »
I could be wrong, but judging by how uncomfortable she looked puffing on a cigarette, I'm guessing that Donna was not a smoker.
I'd like to see Grayson Hall teaching Donna McKechnie how to smoke.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2010, 02:41:41 AM »
To be honest, it never occured to me that Barnabas was the one who caused Quentin's amnesia. He's still human at this point, or did the Leviathans equiped him with some super powers?

Loved the chat between Olivia and Chris. As Lydia pointed out, there's not a trace of the Amanda/Tim dynamics between them.

Julia, while not quite believing Paul's claim that an 8-year-old Carolyn is roaming around the house, nevertheless senses that Alexander is bad news. If only Paul hadn't gotten so rough with the little brat...he looks like a brute as well as a lunatic. Not good.