Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0078  (Read 1014 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0078
« on: October 19, 2011, 07:52:17 PM »

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0078
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 08:18:00 PM »
At long last, an episode where there’s something interesting going on. I have to admit that the last few episodes have pretty much had me bored to tears. We haven’t had any really good material since Mrs. Johnson told Maggie that her mayonnaise reeked.

In this episode we have the unlikely pairing of Roger and Vicki, a drinking game, more talk of food, Maggie flirting with Joe, new tunes on the juke, and Joe ready to punch Roger’s lights out. Did I miss anything? I don’t even mind that we’re back for a time to Sam and Roger squabbling about the coroner’s verdict. There’s just so much going on in this episode that is good stuff.

The guy that puts money in the jukebox and boogies away looks very much like a cast member from Carnival of Souls. And so does KLS with all that eye make-up.

LE & DF do a heck of a lot of teleprompter reading.

We have yet another comment on how good the food is at the Blue Whale. This time it’s sea bass. I’m not saying that a little hole in the wall dive like the Blue Whale doesn’t have great food (lord knows I’ve been in enough of them and have had some excellent food), but just who is serving this stuff? I can imagine that there’s a kitchen somewhere in the back, maybe back of the bar, but I don’t remember ever having seen a waitress in these early episodes. I guess it really doesn’t matter, since Roger blows the date and whisks Vicki away without any dinner.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 08:49:26 PM »
The guy that puts money in the jukebox and boogies away looks very much like a cast member from Carnival of Souls. And so does KLS with all that eye make-up.

In my notes, I instantly dubbed him "The Strange Bopper".   As opposed to the Big one.   In profile while walking away and snapping fingers to the non-beat, he looked like a young Anthony Perkins to me, only thinner.   That record sounded as if it featured a tuba, at first.   The guy is either the scariest in Collinsport, child molester material, or the most interesting character in town, with a lot of strange, obscure books and records.   Maybe a science-fiction fan.   Or a Man in Black.   We see him again passing behind Sam and Maggie's table, wringing his hands strangely.

[spoiler]Joe's girlfriend transition begins.   By the end, he's Maggie's boyfriend without knowing it yet.   In how many bars for how many decades have fans done the Collins Family of Collinsport drinking game?  I'm going to guess it's an old tradition by now, though I know little about fandom.   Was the next record "Begin the Beguine"?   Nice scene in the bar, nice beginning to Maggie/Joe.[/spoiler]

It was funny seeing Roger say "Hello, Evans", then sit there uncomfortably waiting for Sam to provide the excuse for a private conference.

[candle_in_skull_2] [skull_winks] [skelleton_runs]

"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 11:09:11 PM »
I believe the next record is Glenn Miller's String of Pearls.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 12:09:13 AM »
I liked it that the townies--Sam and Maggie and Joe--enjoy a few laughs at the expense of "THE Collins Family of Collinsport!" 

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 12:17:47 AM »
I liked it that the townies--Sam and Maggie and Joe--enjoy a few laughs at the expense of "THE Collins Family of Collinsport!" 

Now I have to go get a beer...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 05:52:04 PM »
Vickie is on her way to the Library to get a book.  I wonder where it is and why don't we get to see it?   
Evans and Collin's finally talk as if they are worried that someone might overhear them, but the constant furtive glances are enough to make others wonder.
Elizabeth reveals to Roger that she plans to hire Mrs. Johnson. 
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2011, 07:49:00 PM »
How long before filming were the scripts written?  For the past few years, I've assumed that Kathryn Leigh Scott's willingness to help out by playing Josette's ghost on the spur of the moment had been one reason that the writers started pushing Maggie forward.  But now I see that Josette's ghost first appeared only eight episodes before Maggie started going after Joe, so I'm not so sure.  Oh, well, I'm sure she had been impressing them with her eager-beaverness all along.

I love how Roger makes up a spur-of-the-moment date with Vicky in order to create an excuse to go to the Blue Whale for his clandestine meeting with Sam Evans.  But he doesn't follow through on it as well as he did the other day, when he needed Vicky to tell the police he couldn't have killed Bill Malloy.  Tonight he didn't give Vicky the fine dinner he had promised her - the cad!  Or was it to have been a midnight snack?  I can't figure out what time it's supposed to be.  After all, both Roger and Vicky were in nightwear when Roger decided to drag Vicky down to the Blue Whale.  (A few weeks from now, assuming Mrs. Johnson is hired, will Roger offer to take Mrs. J. to the Blue Whale if he needs cover for a meeting with Sam?)  It was very strange, but Vicky didn't seem to notice.

I'm just a bit confused by Roger's gratuitous insults to Joe and Maggie.  I guess he wanted to scotch any idea that he would have anything to do with anybody even remotely connected to Sam Evans even though he had just had a private chat with Sam - but it looked like overkill to me.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2011, 03:39:55 PM »
Roger was indeed a cad. He promises Vicki a good meal, but fails to follow through after his insulting remarks toward Maggie and hostile attitude towards Sam and Joe. I wouldn't have blamed Joe one bit if he had decked Roger one.

I love the drinking game of the Collins of Collinsport between Maggie, Joe and Sam. I also like seeing the blossoming relationship between Maggie and Joe starting to bloom him. Maggie is much more considerate of Joe and treats him oh so much better than Carolyn. If I were Joe, I would have just said to hell with Carolyn and hook up with Maggie right there, though I'm not so sure he wasn't considering doing just that.

Roger and Sam have another of their bitter arguments, same place, same time, though neither of them had counted on the other being at the Blue Whale. Both of them should learn by now though that the Blue Whale isn't the place for them to be picking and accusing each other. A public hangout, where tongues will start to wag and it will eventually reach Burke who is already suspicious enough of their reluctant 'partnership'.