Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0077  (Read 887 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0077
« on: October 18, 2011, 07:13:41 PM »

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Discuss - Ep #0077
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 08:47:28 PM »
So Burke's in oil.   Venezuela?    The photo might be from a movie MR was in, if that's him.  Hard to make out.   Carolyn gets jealous over Burke's friendship with a 9 year old boy!   Matthew giving advice...!

[female_skull] [candle_in_skull] [skull_winks]
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 09:38:03 PM »
Matthew's advice to both David and Carolyn is actually pretty good, although when he tells Carolyn that Burke is like a wounded tiger, she sighs dreamily, He is a tiger!

Carolyn's crush on Burke reminds Elizabeth of her husband. She tells Carolyn that he was a "man of mystery" who was very glib and had a way with him. What happened? Carolyn asks. I married him, Elizabeth replies. He was your father--Paul Stoddard. Naturally Carolyn wants to know all about him. But all Elizabeth says is that she loved him but their life together was "nothing." Unfortunately, Carolyn looks down and misses her mother's sad and greatly troubled expression.

David is suspicious of why his aunt Elizabeth wants to hire Mrs. Johnson--"to be my jailer?" Elizabeth says she wants to spend more time with him. Why? he asks. Because I love you, she replies. This may be the first time anyone has ever said that to the poor kid. He softens for about a nanosecond, but when Elizabeth asks him (again) not to see Burke any more, he says, "I’ll think about it. It's the same kind of decision that you’ll make when you decide whether or not to hire Mrs. Johnson to be my jailer." Yikes!

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 12:14:56 AM »
David is suspicious of why his aunt Elizabeth wants to hire Mrs. Johnson--"to be my jailer?" Elizabeth says she wants to spend more time with him. Why? he asks. Because I love you, she replies. This may be the first time anyone has ever said that to the poor kid. He softens for about a nanosecond, but when Elizabeth asks him (again) not to see Burke any more, he says, "I’ll think about it. It's the same kind of decision that you’ll make when you decide whether or not to hire Mrs. Johnson to be my jailer." Yikes!

At least David was being honest with his Aunt Liz. Gotta give him credit for that.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 04:24:52 PM »
Elizabeth tried her absolute best with David, and I have no doubt that she loves him, but presenting an ultimatum to him was the wrong way to deal with him.  I don't think, however, that she knew any other way to go about getting David to give up on Burke.

With all the competitive talk of gifts from Burke today, I'm surprised that the crystal ball wasn't mentioned.  And by the way, I find it interesting that David, the obstinate liar, admitted that Burke didn't exactly give him the picture.

Matthew came across as the salt of the earth today, giving David good, sound advice.  But we've seen where his ideas about rock-solid loyalty led him: to attempting to kill Burke Devlin.  The thing is, right now I think Matthew may have been right that killing Burke would make life easier for Elizabeth, if only the police (not to mention the townspeople) could be persuaded that the Collinses didn't pay Matthew to do it.  I know, I know, I'm supposed to be shocked at the the thought of murder, but I just don't like Burke enough.  Assuming Burke was innocent of that manslaughter, then a terrible wrong has been done him, but his suffering has done anything but ennoble him.  And he has admitted he's not completely certain that he wasn't driving the fatal car.  I've mentioned that I was wondering about the friendship between Roger and Burke before the accident.  Everybody says that the other thing that split them apart was Laura, but right now I'm wondering if, even before the accident, when Laura was still Burke's girl, Burke liked Roger's money and status better than he liked Roger.  So Matthew can kill Burke with my blessing.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 05:46:12 PM »
Elizabeth says that she'd find Burke attractive if he were not out to get them.  I wish the writers would go in that direction and how interesting it would be if he turned out to be Vickie's father.   Then Elizabeth reveals to her daughter that life with Paul was nothing.  My first reaction would be to say, "Then Mother, why did you lock yourself up in Collinwood for eighteen years?"
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 03:23:03 PM »
I don't think that Elizabeth dealt with the David/Burke friendship situation very well myself. But I can't say I would have had the first clue on how to handle it myself. Still I don't think she should have told him that to prove his love for her he needs to stay away from Burke. That sounds a bit too much like emotional blackmail to me, although I'm sure Elizabeth didn't intend for it to be.

Elizabeth seems to be the only one in his family that David truly loves at this point, but even that has its limits...he really doesn't want to give up the only friend he has, and in all honesty it's hard to blame him. Regardless of his motives, I do think that Burke likes the boy and David really likes and respects him. I think that by asking David to give that up, Elizabeth is running the risk of alienating him. But on the other hand it's understandable that she wouldn't want Burke to use her nephew as a pawn in his battle against the Collinses. No matter how fond he is of David, I still don't think at this point Burke is quite above using even David to strike against the family.

Carolyn...what to say about her? It's obvious she's still delirious over the man who has now openly waged war against her family, to her chagrin.
I'm sure she doesn't like still liking the guy who wants to hurt her family, but despite what she says to the contrary...she still has feelings for him.
She got angry with David when he suggested Burke likes Vicki more than her...and I think there is truth to that.

Matthew is now becoming more upset over the situation, listening to Carolyn and David arguing over Burke. He's probably wishing he had succeeded in finishing Burke off at the Blue Whale regardless of the consequences. Roger's idea about pushing Burke off Widows' Hill must be sounding pretty good to him by now.