Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0076  (Read 1243 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0076
« on: October 17, 2011, 11:22:04 PM »

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0076
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 01:15:05 AM »
 [spider_scare] Burke returns to the great house and informs Roger he has come for Collinwood. He has waited ten years which leads one to think that Burke has always wanted to lIve there.  Carolyn learns that Burke lied to her all along. Will this matter?
Elizabeth naturally does not want to sell and Roger cannot wait to take Burkes money. Elizabeth wants to keep it for David and if it were up to David, Roger can kiss that money goodbye.
Carolyn naturally blames it all on love suggesting that it is all about her Aunt Laura.
Roger reveals he knows Elizabeth's perfect marriage was not so much.
Vickie is now considered practically a member of the family after just being there days. Vickie wears one of those sleeveless sixties dresses my mother was so fond of and of course has a bracelet also.  [hall_smiley]
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 02:19:40 AM »
The standout line came when... well, I forget what Carolyn asked, but Burke's response was: "I almost got elected, didn't I?"   In context, what a very mean and smutty remark, but clever!   
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 03:31:31 AM »
The standout line came when... well, I forget what Carolyn asked, but Burke's response was: "I almost got elected, didn't I?"   In context, what a very mean and smutty remark, but clever!   

You said you meant us no harm, she reminds him. That, my dear Carolyn, is what the politician's call campaign oratory, says Burke--it's what you want to hear--but you're not necessarily expected to believe it. And crosses her arms over her chest and says, and I suppose everything else you said was campaign oratory, too? Well, I almost got elected, didn't I?

Heh, heh...
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 09:58:17 AM »
This episode is, I imagine, far more interesting now than it was when it was broadcast in 1967.  At this point the series is about the present-day Collins family and their struggle with Burke.  Over the course of the series, we'll see Collinses in various previous eras and in another time band (or possibly more than one other time band) as well, and the one constant, other than the Collins name, will be the great house of Collinwood.  Right now we have the possibility of Burke finding a way to get possession of Collinwood, with a long story arc of Elizabeth trying to get Collinwood back.  How would it end?

Burke says that if he buys Collinwood, the first thing he'll do is to get rid of the ghosts.  Good luck to him!  He may be joking, but we know Collinwood has quite a few ghosts.  I'd like to see Burke up against Gerard.

Roger is delighted at the thought of getting rid of Collinwood.  He had a nice, refreshing walk on the grounds today.  Has it occurred to him that the grounds would be sold with the house?

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 04:04:24 PM »
Burke tells Carolyn that he's sorry she's involved in all this. She insists she's a Stoddard. You're Carolyn COLLINS Stoddard, Burke points out. Only Elizabeth would load her daughter with that moniker!

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 04:22:07 AM »
Burke says that if he buys Collinwood, the first thing he'll do is to get rid of the ghosts.  Good luck to him!  He may be joking, but we know Collinwood has quite a few ghosts.  I'd like to see Burke up against Gerard.

Or Quentin for that matter. Maybe Burke would have been  a more formable adversary for him than Madame Findley turned out to be.

Seems to me that Burke thinks he can somehow force Elizabeth to sell Collinwood to him if she won't do so willingly.  I suppose he could call her on her bank notes, but knowing Elizabeth I believe she'd find some way to come up with the money, even if it meant she might have to bend the law a little, to prevent Burke from getting his hands on the house.

Does Roger really think Burke will give up his vendetta against him and the family if they do sell the house to him? Mere wishful thinking on Roger's part. Burke won't rest until he finds a way right the wrong that he feels Roger did him.

Carolyn's illusions of Burke have come crashing down before her eyes. How it stung her to hear from his own mouth that he willingly led her into a false sense of security. He says he tried NOT to lie to her....I don't believe that for one
minute. He knew exactly what he was doing when he strung her along with his letting bygones be bygones act. Question is will Carolyn finally see where her true loyalties should be? At the moment she seems to realize what a fool she was for believing Burke but we'll see how long her anger and disappointment in him lasts.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, 04:39:48 PM »
Question is will Carolyn finally see where her true loyalties should be?
But where should Carolyn's true loyalties be? If Roger caused Burke to be sent to prison for a crime that Roger committed, why should Carolyn be loyal to him?