Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0074  (Read 1411 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0074
« on: October 13, 2011, 05:58:03 PM »

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0074
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 07:00:43 PM »
David emerges from Burke's Kitchen as Burke enters his room.  He has now learned how to break in without detection.  David says,"Nothing is against the law unless you get caught."
He tells Burke that he learned that from him.  There is a knock on the door and Burke hides David in the kitchen.  I find the whole relationship disturbing.  Carolyn is at the door and Burke has David to come out and the two cousins argue over Burke. 
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 07:38:31 PM »
"How many more of you are there in there?" Burke asks David, looking into the kitchen.   It really makes no sense, so I like it.   I pictured other-time Davids of all ages crowded into the kitchenette, fresh out of Burke's temporal gateway.   **  David just used the expression "cool" to Burke about his infiltration.... the only time in DS?

Long teaser.   When the opening theme finally came, you can see someone waving her/his hand in front of the DS logo!    Slow it down, you can make out fingers and thumb...

Poor Liz.  Roger's happiness after the coroner's report is making her suspect him even more, and she can't stand it.   **  We are about to be hit full force with the excitement that is The Pen.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 11:49:11 PM »
While David is hiding in Burke's kitchen, Carolyn comes to see Burke. She thinks he has a "lady friend" tucked away and makes nasty remarks about Vicki. David promptly emerges and gloats, You're jealous! Neither of the cousins shines at this moment.

Poor Carolyn has come to tell Burke what she thinks is good news: that Bill's cause of death was accidental drowning. Burke can scarcely hide his fury and snaps that Carolyn should take David home immediately. Baffled at his anger, they leave, and he takes his anger out on the sheriff. Isn't it some kind of offense to menace an officer of the law?

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 12:36:29 AM »
"How many more of you are there in there?" Burke asks David, looking into the kitchen.   It really makes no sense, so I like it.   I pictured other-time Davids of all ages crowded into the kitchenette, fresh out of Burke's temporal gateway.

I didn't think of it that way, but it's pretty funny!

When the opening theme finally came, you can see someone waving her/his hand in front of the DS logo!    Slow it down, you can make out fingers and thumb...

I noticed that.

We are about to be hit full force with the excitement that is The Pen.

I can hardly contain myself.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 08:36:53 AM »
I can hardly contain myself.

Try calling to have a container of you delivered!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 11:56:56 AM »
The interplay between Carolyn and David in Burke's suite was well written, and well acted. They really did seem like two squabbling almost-siblings.

Magnus, I suppose you're right that Roger's happiness made Elizabeth suspicious, but all I could think was: it was unseemly of him to be so jubilant about anything related to Bill's death.  Still, I liked Louis Edmonds's performance, and I like the idea of Roger going for a nice walk to celebrate.  I would have thought he would do something less outdoorsy.

I'm surprised by the coroner's decision.  How many times in Bill's life did he walk the route between his home and the cannery?  He must have known it like the back of his hand.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 07:37:47 PM »
Roger goes for a walk to celebrate the verdict. It does seem uncharacteristic, but I think he returned home for a celebratory libation.  [hall2_grin]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2011, 12:50:56 AM »
Magnus, I suppose you're right that Roger's happiness made Elizabeth suspicious, but all I could think was: it was unseemly of him to be so jubilant about anything related to Bill's death.  Still, I liked Louis Edmonds's performance, and I like the idea of Roger going for a nice walk to celebrate.  I would have thought he would do something less outdoorsy.

I said that about ECS because of this: Liz glowered at Roger at first, then once LE was off-camera and Liz was "alone" for a moment to "process" (alone from the audience's perspective since Roger wasn't visible), a sort of mortification came over her face, as if she was thinking something too awful to bear.

I think that true outdoorsiness requires more than just setting foot outside!   But it's Roger, so maybe he'd think he was...  More people walked more of the time back then, I think.   Kids played outside.  I live in a neighborhood that must have plenty of kids, but I think they stay in.  I saw a toy red fire truck on the lawn across the street this evening, then thought about how rare that is.   Anyway... the house is a depressing tomb to Roger.   

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 03:28:08 PM »
I agree the scene between Burke, Carolyn and David was priceless. How Burke must have enjoyed watching them go at it. David knows Carolyn has a thing for Burke...but then Carolyn really hasn't been doing a very good job of masking her feelings for him. Everyone in town, including Joe, has got to know by now how head-over-heels she has gone over him.

Sam was right....Burke really did go on a rampage once he heard the corridor's verdict. He very nastily kicks David and Carolyn out then he lashes out at Sheriff Patterson. I have to say he's acting like a spoiled child again, lashing out because he didn't get his own way. Actions have consequences, and if Burke doesn't control his temper, he's going to get a 'time out'. He can threaten Patterson all he wants with siccing his lawyers on him but I honestly think Patterson won't give a darn. The sheriff will do his job as he sees fit and if he thinks that Burke will pose more than just a little annoyance to the Collinses family he'll take what steps he deems necessarily.

Gosh Roger was such an insensitive boob in this episode, I agree with Robin on that big time. He really expected Elizabeth to be in a partying mood because the corridor's report has been cleared to his satisfaction. All right, he won't be indicted for murder. Elizabeth is satisfied about that. But Bill Malloy was a really good friend of hers. And he's still dead. Roger may not have liked Malloy very much but really he should have been more tactful about Elizabeth's feelings.