Author Topic: The February 19th Episodes  (Read 1038 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
The February 19th Episodes
« on: February 20, 2007, 01:10:46 PM »
A few things that struck me:

Ep #431 - Barnabas asks: "Why do we never learn to leave the past alone?" Apparently that's one question he did indeed never learn.  ;)

Ep #693 - Whoever thought up Stokes' pencil anology to explain David's possession should be commended because it was excellent.

It never fails to astound me that whenever a fire was required in a scene on DS, a real fire was actually started in the studio (often on a duplicate set). I suppose there really was no other way to do it, but still, they were always taking an awful chance.

Ep #954 - Great scenes between Angelique and Nicholas. Her anger and his glee are the perfect counterbalance to each other. And, as always, Lara Parker and Humbert Allen Astredo played it all to perfection.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: The February 19th Episodes
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 07:45:14 PM »
It never fails to astound me that whenever a fire was required in a scene on DS, a real fire was actually started in the studio (often on a duplicate set). I suppose there really was no other way to do it, but still, they were always taking an awful chance.

Now you have me wondering what regulations dictated how those fires were set.  Can you just see a group of New York's Bravest standing around this VERY odd production set, keeping one eye on the fire and the other on the (no doubt) weird scene being acted out?...[lghy]
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 01:56:32 AM »
Now you have me wondering what regulations dictated how those fires were set.  Can you just see a group of New York's Bravest standing around this VERY odd production set, keeping one eye on the fire and the other on the (no doubt) weird scene being acted out?...[lghy]

Hey didn't you know everyone wants to be an actor. Maybe some of the firemen were actors, wanting bit parts.  >:D
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 05:25:52 AM »
I'm sure they learned how to control the fires pretty well over time. I mean they constantly had those fires in the fire places burning, and even though they could just shut off the gas switch and kill it, they could always have caught the surrounding wood set, carpet, even the actors (especially LP with her leaning into the fire so much) on fire.

Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 05:35:11 AM »
It never fails to astound me that whenever a fire was required in a scene on DS, a real fire was actually started in the studio (often on a duplicate set).

Do you mean a live fire on a blue screen set to be added to the action as required?
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 05:46:48 AM »
Nope. I mean that in Ep #693 they actually set the drapes on fire in a duplicate set of Stokes' room and shot it as if the fire was in the same set as Thayer David was. (They also set a real fire for the sequence of Laura and David in the fishing shack in Ep #191.)

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 08:02:11 PM »
That always astounded me too, the setting of a set on fire.

[spoiler]I read somewhere that Kate Jackson's dress actually caught fire during the filming of the episode where David and Hallie bring Daphne's ghost back to life. David was stomping on the hem of her dress, it had caught flame on a candle on the floor, and she had no idea what he was doing until taping stopped.[/spoiler]

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2007, 08:23:02 PM »
Nope. I mean that in Ep #693 they actually set the drapes on fire in a duplicate set of Stokes' room and shot it as if the fire was in the same set as Thayer David was.
Ah, yes, I remember now.  I just watched that ep not too long ago.  I need to check that again.
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.