Author Topic: Script For The '04 WB DS Pilot Available For Download!  (Read 910 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Script For The '04 WB DS Pilot Available For Download!
« on: September 24, 2011, 05:19:31 PM »
janosskorzeny Carl Daigrepont
check out free ebook - Dark Shadows 1x01 Pilot (Mark Verheiden 2004) Pdf: http://bit.ly/r0GXlE (from @ebookbrowse)
1 hour ago

I had no idea that this has been available for download since November 12, 2010 - and it's only thanks to the above tweet that I know now.

Needless to say, I've already downloaded a copy. I haven't read it yet, but I'm dying to read the scenes that I've heard about but didn't make the "finished" version that we've seen at the Fests.

Offline Zahir

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: Script For The '04 WB DS Pilot Available For Download!
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 02:52:55 PM »
Thank you!  What a prize!

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 03:38:29 PM »
Yes, thank you!  I listened to the audio of the pilot while reading it.  It comes off much better.   The problems were not with the writing but with the casting and filmography.  Newman is perfect and others were ok.  Thee casting of Julia and Liz were disasterous though.  I leave room for the possibility that Blair Brown might have worked if she played it differently.  The fault could have been the directot's. 

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 04:04:39 PM »
The audio of the pilot? Where is that available?

I still haven't gotten time to read the script, but I did read the character descriptions, and I was surprised to see that Maggie and Sam are listed (and that Maggie is described very similarly to her '91 Series counterpart).

Offline Zahir

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 07:20:48 PM »
I've read the script now, and like it!  Some changes obviously took place between this and actual production.  My personal favorite was the business when Carolyn met Victoria--the little (hilarious) gesture when she asked "Have you met...David?"

Seems to me some things were probably cut for budgetary reasons.  Understandable.  They wanted a pilot and any characters that might be best introduced later--Sarah, Sam, Maggie--might have been cut to save money.

What I've said before (and am clearly saying again) is that the WB pilot became in many ways my favorite DS ever.  Like the original series it created its own little pocket of reality that let me accept a few absurdities--like no one checking out the credit score of the new arrival, or that such a huge home would exist in Maine of all places in the 1700s.  All the performances seemed good to me, setting up all kinds of mysteries that led me hoping to see more.  Yes, that includes Blair Brown.  What else had been going on in that house, I kept wondering?

My only disappointment was that Victoria seemed to be Josette's reincarnation.  Frankly, that was cliche back in 1968 and the original series wisely avoided it.

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 11:30:39 PM »
Here's a prime example of what I hated about the pilot. Blair Brown's Liz greets Victoria very effusively with "Oh! At last! At last! You're here!! Hi!! (garpbled portion) Come in, Come in, Come in!" then she introduces herself and  "We were getting so worried about you!!"  I don't know who's idea it was to have Elizabeth come off that way. If I were in charge of the pilot, coming in to fix it, I'd give her another chance to deliver the following lines from the script.  "Victoria-Hello, I'm--
Elizabeth-Miss Winters, I know. We were getting worried. (stepping back)  I'm Ellizabeth Collins Stoddard. Welcome to Collinwood."
There are no directions on how to deliver the lines, but the tone seems much more formal and in step with Bennett's and Simmons' portrayals of the character.