Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0241  (Read 2415 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0241
« on: February 26, 2007, 06:02:51 AM »

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
  • True devotion! I love, love, love dear Barnabas!
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0241
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 05:13:06 PM »
Once again David sees the woman who he thinks is Josette, although it is Maggie. She is on the verge of recalling her real identity, then Vicki and Roger burst in, interrupting everything!

Barnabas enters minutes later, and it's fun to watch Roger's embarrassment at having been caught at the Old House without an invitation.

Whenever Maggie hears the music box playing, she seems to forget her identity. I wonder why the music box has this effect on her?
Barnabas to little Sarah's ghost: "I forbid you to leave! I beg you to stay!"

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 06:14:09 PM »
A reminder:

Please don't repeat the scene descriptions that are already in the Robservation linked to via the main topic, and the same for the descriptions that other posters have already provided.  Comments about the scenes, of course, are encouraged.  Thanks!

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 07:50:26 PM »
Very good show. My favorite lines is Barnabas calling Maggie the operating mechanism for the Music Box, and that is was just wound up.  That could be something that we could all speculate on.

Again the Old House, was Grand Central, everyone just keeps dropping in

I have two questions, what if David would have touched Maggie? What was Barnabas going to do with Maggie if she was going to live at the Old House. How was he going to explain her.  He is not thinking things out.  ??? ???
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Alondra

• Senior Poster
  • Dark Shadows Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 08:14:48 PM »
The conversation between David and Maggie/Josette was a long one. Looks like Barn has really done a number on Maggie, she seems to really believe she is Josette. There seems to be little of Maggie left. David seems to have no idea that this is Maggie. I know he didn't know Maggie well and now he has only the conversations he's heard others having about Maggie, but it seems to not occur to him that this is anyone other than Josette. This time she talked to him which she had never done before and he's happy. This is a boy who desperately needs a few friends his own age!

I was extremely frustrated that just as Vicki and Roger entered the house, Maggie floated back upstairs! If she'd stayed downstairs, she would have been recognized immediately by those two who would have taken her home to her father. There would have been a problem with deprogramming her from the brainwashing job Barn had done, but soon she'd remember who she was.

Back home again, David lied about having seen Josette. I'm not just sure why he lied, maybe he's afraid Roger will rag on him and call him a liar and he wants to avoid that. Then he told Vicki the truth. If only Vicki had sat down and delved deeply into this. David told her Josette had never talked to him at such lengths before. Added to that is the portrait's resemblance to Maggie (Ok we know it doesn't really resemble her but it's supposed to) Vicki has to assume that either David is lying or that this ghost Josette has changed from before. Vicki saw Josette's ghost herself when [spoiler]Matthew Morgan had kidnapped her and Josette's ghost rescued her[/spoiler] but the ghost did not speak then, I don't think. This change in the ghost at just the time Maggie has disappeared would put up warning signs all around me IF I thought it out for a length of time.

Barnabas' brainwashing of Maggie makes me ill.

During the Sheriff's conversation with Barnabas and later conversation with Roger and Vicki I got the impression he really wanted to believe Willie was guilty. I will give him the benefit of the doubt and think he wants to believe that so that he'd have his answers rather than that it's just because he hates Willie. I like the Sheriff but it would be nice if someone could see that Willie is not the same man as he was when he first came to town. However it seems no one will allow him to live down his past.

Alondra

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2007, 04:27:22 AM »
Can you really blame the Sheriff for being so suspicious though....yes Willie is a different man now, more subdued, but the fact is, Willie was an absolute vicious beast when he first blew into town and he DOES have a prison record....not to mention that Willie went into a not-very-well-hidden panic when Vicki told him Maggie was missing.

Yes, I agree there really isn't enough evidence for the him to link Willie to Maggie, but considering Willie's past, I can't really blame the Sheriff for wanting to keep an eye on him.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007, 04:34:44 AM »
Barnabas is back to being patient with Maggie, and she is like a blank slate waiting to be filled...but she doesn't take the chalk very well.  Brainwashing is a slow, slow business, apparently, even when you can accelerate it using your vampire powers.  Hypnotism would be more efficient, but maybe Barnabas needs Julia's inspiration before he can start trying it.

It's sort of interesting to see David reinforcing what Barnabas has told Maggie:  "You are Josette."  If only Barnabas knew how helpful David is being!

Knowing what happens later, I have to wonder how Barnabas will rationalize away the statements he made to Sheriff Patterson today, but I have no doubt whatsoever that he will do so to everybody's satisfaction.  He's good that way.

The end of the episode is one of my absolute favorite moments on Dark Shadows.

What was Barnabas going to do with Maggie if she was going to live at the Old House. How was he going to explain her.  He is not thinking things out.
I was thinking about this myself.  I guess we need to remember that this was a transitional phase.  Once Maggie had fully acquired and accepted the Josette persona, she was going to be turned into a vampire.  At that point, I guess, she would have no trouble with staying out of people's way, seeing only with her beloved Barnabas (whom else would she need?) and the useful Willie, and periodically going out in the dead of night to feed on and kill whoever was foolish enough to be out and around.  One question does occur to me: would Barnabas and pseudo-Josette share Willie, as every happy couple shares everything?  (I'm a confirmed spinster.  Don't shatter my illusions.)  And if so, and if Barnabas and pseudo-Josette ever had (perish the thought!) a disagreement, whom would Willie obey?  I'm picturing Willie in a routing loop.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2007, 05:19:22 AM »
Vicki saw Josette's ghost herself when [spoiler]Matthew Morgan had kidnapped her and Josette's ghost rescued her[/spoiler] but the ghost did not speak then, I don't think. This change in the ghost at just the time Maggie has disappeared would put up warning signs all around me IF I thought it out for a length of time.

There's a precedent for Josette's ghost to speak, and Vicki was aware of it.  After the incident you mentioned in the spoiler box, Liz recounted a story to her about her great aunt who, as a child, was lost on a remote part of the beach in the Winter.  But a woman in a long white dress appeared to tell her to not be afraid (and may have caused her miraculous rescue as well).  Vicki and Liz agreed that the woman must have been the ghost of Josette.

Beautiful screen grabs, MB!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2007, 05:57:26 AM »
If only Vicki had sat down and delved deeply into this. David told her Josette had never talked to him at such lengths before. Added to that is the portrait's resemblance to Maggie (Ok we know it doesn't really resemble her but it's supposed to) Vicki has to assume that either David is lying or that this ghost Josette has changed from before. Vicki saw Josette's ghost herself when [spoiler]Matthew Morgan had kidnapped her and Josette's ghost rescued her[/spoiler] but the ghost did not speak then, I don't think. This change in the ghost at just the time Maggie has disappeared would put up warning signs all around me IF I thought it out for a length of time.

Josette's ghost did indeed speak to Vicki. Here's one of the captures/captions from the December 19th's slideshow:

1966: Ep #126 - Josette appears to Vicki and tells her not to be afraid.

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2007, 10:29:33 AM »
David should have been able to tell that Maggie/Josette was NOT a ghost, because she didn't appear "ghostly" - she was a solid person, not a see-through spirit.  It's nice to see David opening up to Vicki, though - he didn't tell his father, but DID tell Vicki about Josette.  Too bad Vicki didn't figure out that it might be Maggie!  Barnabas was so smooth that it didn't even dawn on others at all that HE could be the one who was holding Maggie hostage.

----- Sally -----

[coolg]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2007, 07:58:55 PM »
David should have been able to tell that Maggie/Josette was NOT a ghost, because she didn't appear "ghostly" - she was a solid person, not a see-through spirit.

DS was particularly inconsistent on that front. Some ghosts are depicted as see-through (Bill, The Widows, etc...)  - yet many others (Quentin, Beth, Gerard, Daphne, Jenny, etc...) are not. Josette herself is even depicted both ways. But then, DS and consistency aren't quite synonymous, now are they?  :D

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2007, 08:27:38 AM »
DS was particularly inconsistent on that front. Some ghosts are depicted as see-through (Bill, The Widows, etc...)  - yet many others (Quentin, Beth, Gerard, Daphne, Jenny, etc...) are not. Josette herself is even depicted both ways. But then, DS and consistency aren't quite synonymous, now are they?  :D

And don't forget Joanna in 1840.

[spoiler]She really appeared to be real and one was convinced she had come back, when it finally turns out that she IS a ghost after all.[/spoiler]
Josette

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2007, 10:29:36 AM »
Gosh, MB and Josette, you're right! [winkg] How could I forget? [6184] I'm well aware of DS' inconsistencies! [cheesyg]

I guess I was thinking that way because, IIRC, up to that point on DS, Josette was a "see-through" ghost.  [smiley_pale]

----- Sally -----

[coolg]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]