Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0047  (Read 300 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0047
« on: June 05, 2021, 04:18:16 PM »
Robservations #47

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0047

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2021, 11:37:56 PM »
Great opening voiceover. It contains one of my all-time favorite lines of the show: Welcome to the beginning and the end of the world. I didn't remember it being repeated 46 episodes later.

The drawing room piano has a cameo and Liz is playing it. Thankfully it is not a dirge. (The desk must be on vacation, lol.) I was amused with Bennett's performance, not exceptional but wonderfully and gesturally dramatic. As Liz, she fabulously (and to my extreme delight) unsubtly evaded Carolyn's questions. Later in the episode we catch the tail end of a happy mother/daughter conversation reminiscing about a Halloween joke Carolyn and her friends tried to play on her. Somewhat of a novelty, it was a fun and interesting scene to watch. As soon as Carolyn turns her back to leave for bed all the joy drains from Liz's face and the clock strikes twelve - the witching hour - as Carolyn twice refers to it. Liz is worried about the accusations Bill made against Roger about being guilty of sending Burke to jail when he's the one who should have done the time. Of course chatty Carolyn made matters worse by repeating all the worrisome utterances of her uncle during their conversation earlier that day. Liz was so distraught that she couldn't even sip tea, or accept Roger's offer of a nightcap!

After Bill Malloy fails to show up for the meeting, Roger comes home whistling which I found absurd. I don't think Liz was particularly amused either. I can't say I am surprised that Liz would confront Roger with all the things Bill accused him of. I am now sure that Liz didn't know the truth but I can't say she never suspected it. It certainly doesn't appear she is going to back him up if he's lying but I think she is still taking his word for it. Roger sure is confident that he is going to get away with this. I guess that's what the whistling was about. What a dumbass (and a liar)!

Can't blame Burke for being frustrated. Neither Roger nor Sam break as he confronts them with Bill's accusations. They even fortify their pact while Burke is gone to look for Bill at his home. I didn't remember Mrs. Johnson being a live-in housekeeper. Is she? I guess so. It makes sense knowing how things play out in the near future. If she is though, why didn't she answer the phone? Or the door? Maybe she isn't after all. I don't know why Burke would expect her to be there at 11pm. (I can hardly wait to see her!)

This episode didn't particularly grab me but it had it's moments.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2021, 01:56:01 AM »
Elizabeth plays the piano in her dressing gown and  hair down around her shoulders.  Carolyn enters and they chat. 
Meanwhile, Malloy is a no show at the meeting. It’s 11:30.  Burke  goes to the house, but he’s not home.
Roger returns to Collinwood and is questioned  by his sister.  She reveals what Malloy told her about the trial and Burke. Roger denies all. 
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times