Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0044  (Read 295 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0044
« on: March 31, 2021, 10:06:01 PM »
Robservations #44

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0044

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2021, 12:09:24 AM »
Apparently Liz is finally sure that David will live long enough so as to set up a trust for him. It puts their finances at risk more than ever. Maybe she is making sure David is provided for if they lose their fortune. Whatever the case, she sure has a lot of faith that he'll grow up normal enough to go to college and be his own man. At this point - that's a whole lotta faith.

It's a good thing Carolyn came home (and stalked Burke!) to expose James Blair as Burke's banker. At least now Liz can be sure of Burke's precise plans.

It appears as though Liz wouldn't be too surprised to find out that it was Roger who was driving the car that killed the man on the road ten years ago. The thought had obviously crossed her mind ten years ago but she was helpless as to let nature take it's course. I wonder if we are supposed to think that. She acts as though she could have known the truth, but we know better. Roger wouldn't need to be so secretive had he told her. It's a decent scene(s) - the most interesting in the episode. I have mixed emotions about Bill's course of action but I guess calling Roger was the thing to do as opposed to calling Burke or the police. I think I would have rather enjoyed a big dramatic scene in the drawing room with Liz, Bill and Roger (and Carolyn listening at the door, eventually bursting in, lol).

Ned asked Liz to marry him, Liz said no, so he quit the business and left town. I think this is the first we hear of this. Ned wants Liz to be part of his return package. Liz says no and that's the end of that. I wonder if this is their last contact?

I'm fantasizing about which actor would have been fun to see as Ned Calder. Tall, dark and handsome? Or Big, burly and blond? (lol)

Not that it's a big thing but I loved the look on Carolyn's face when Bill mentions Liz letting everything go down the drain to protect Roger. I guess it's more that we got to see the expression than the expression itself.

Mr. Harris the banker may as well have put cue cards on his lap and read from them. The cameraman should have stayed on Liz while he was talking.

Did Carolyn get a haircut in Bangor? She has bangs now. (Probably a wig.) I guess she got a new do before heading home.

I didn't get much out of Carolyn and Bill's Blue Whale conversation, except maybe that Bill needs a few good stiff ones to bring his suspicions to Liz. We already know how Carolyn feels about her every move being reported. And ditto regarding Liz's feelings about Carolyn pursuing Burke, in a later scene. 

Favorite line: "He's going to try harder." Referencing Roger not being up to standard regarding his employment at the cannery (I guess he took Ned's place and is failing miserably).
Second favorite line: "Bill had a few drinks and I think they went to his head."
Liz is a hoot!

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2021, 01:55:13 AM »
Based on who was doing soap work in the mid 1960's, my two candidates for Ned Calder would be Robert Mandan (then on Search For Tomorrow) and Douglass Watson (Search For Tomorrow and Love of Life, later MacKenzie Cory on Another World.)
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2021, 04:15:05 AM »
Mr. Harris, the teleprompter baker, arrives from Bangor. It is unbelievably revealed that he hasn’t seen Elizabeth in four years.  Considering the business, the loans and that she is an important client, and that the business about David’s trust has brought him now, it’s nonsense.  Harris puts it together that Burke is after the family business.
     Bill shows up at Collinwood to talk about Roger.  Liz accepts the original verdict and that’s it. 
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2021, 09:26:37 PM »
Both are great choices Uncle Roger! I'd go with Douglass Watson!!

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2021, 10:26:31 PM »
Thanks, dom!! He would be my choice as well.
Fade Away and Radiate