Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0163  (Read 905 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0163
« on: March 08, 2012, 06:06:59 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0163
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 06:32:08 PM »
David Henesy was a busy boy today, with lots of dialogue.  It occurred to me that when the series began, we tended to see him alone, with few lines, which made it easier for the directors to get what they wanted out of him.  Now he talks and talks and talks, because the writers know he can handle it.

I liked the way Guthrie talked with David - and listened to him, instead of telling him he was imagining things.  But would Guthrie be able to tell when David is lying?

Roger and Laura seemed far more like husband and wife to me than they have before.  Laura said Roger only married her because she had been Burke's girlfriend, and Roger didn't deny it.  I had been under the impression that Roger would have been interested in Laura anyway, but maybe, without Burke as a rival, Roger wouldn't have gone so far as to marry her.  At any rate, it throws an unexpected light on the relationship between Roger and Burke.  I always had imagined Roger and Burke as being great pals before the hit and run business, really enjoying each other's company.  I figured Roger enjoyed slumming with Burke, and it made Burke feel good to be with somebody who had as much money as he himself wanted - but whatever the underlying motives, I thought there was a real, though shallow, friendship.  Now I'm wondering: why on earth would Roger feel he had to have anything that Burke had?

When Guthrie came to see Laura, I suddenly envisioned him in two ways: first, as Laura's secret lover, and second, as somebody who wanted David for his own purposes.  Or else, a third way:[spoiler]as a Julia type: somebody who believed that being a phoenix was a curable disease, and if he were able to treat Laura, she could become a normal person again.  Not that she'd want to do that.[/spoiler]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 07:07:50 PM »
Suddenly, Roger's back to not being suspicious of Laura again, and being for her plan.   Last we saw, Roger was saying no to the plan because Liz had just been stricken, and because she might-have, sort-of killed someone in Phoenix.    I guess things have settled a bit since Liz was sent to Boston-- time enough has passed for Laura not to seem in bad taste to nag about David, and maybe they haven't heard from the Pheonix police for awhile.

This might be John Lasell's first recorded episode.   He's very reckless in his first talk with Laura.   Guthrie is just getting off so much on meeting a real, live supernatural being that he's throwing caution to the wind.  Next, maybe he'll ask for her autograph.   And giggle.   He keeps letting her know he suspects, perhaps even giving an impression that he knows more about her than he really does know.  It's as if he's verbally winking at her through the whole conversation.   Well, why not endanger your life for the sake of feeling cool?

How would Elliot Stokes have handled this meeting?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 07:17:07 PM »
Lots of good work from David Henesy today. He is really coming into his own.

Roger and Laura have a fun exchange in which Laura says the only reason Roger married her was that Burke wanted her. Then she says she married Roger because she wanted to be a Collins. Then they agree that they got married because they were accomplices in getting Burke sent to jail. Roger's comment: Perjury makes strange bedfellows.

The first meeting between Laura and Dr. Guthrie is a humdinger! They are adversaries from the moment Guthrie walks into the cottage. Laura tells him, Roger was never much of a father to David. In fact, Roger is the bigger baby of the two! Even when we were together we were separated. You see, I had a great rival for Roger's affections--Roger himself. He won out. I never could think as much of him as he did of himself. And Liz thought I wasn't good enough for Roger. No, she didn’t think I was good enough to be a Collins! she adds spitefully.

Laura insists she's part of this world. Without missing a beat, Guthrie replies, But as you just commented, the possibilities of _this_ world are infinite!

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 03:32:24 AM »
Laura reveals more about her life with Roger to a complete stranger, but with everyone else she has a vested interest in keeping her true feelings to herself.  She comes across as being quit bitter still and not so otherworldly as she had previously.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 04:13:03 AM »
Laura reveals more about her life with Roger to a complete stranger, but with everyone else she has a vested interest in keeping her true feelings to herself.

I think she has an interest in keeping truths hidden from Dr. G too.   She suspects that he's an enemy.   I wonder if that strange bond of being knowledgeable adversaries, perhaps something like equals whose prime goal is the confounding of the other, created an illusion of false intimacy.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 06:15:56 PM »
Yes, that is what it reminds me of from the movies where the hero confronts the super villan and toys with him.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times