Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0458  (Read 839 times)

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Discuss - Ep #0458
« on: January 19, 2008, 01:56:08 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0458
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 02:03:36 PM »
I'm trying to remember, and I just don't think I was as drawn in by Liz's path to suicide as I was by Naomi's.  Liz basically didn't want to die, but Naomi has gone through too much, and lost hope that the accumulation of tragedy will ever stop. (Smart woman.)  I suppose Naomi started out with a gloomier outlook on life than Liz did.  Somewhere in this Forum there's a thread about whether Naomi's death was due to the curse or due to the pre-existing dysfunctionality of the 1795 Collins family....found it!
Re: Blaming Angelique / was: Re: On the Lam -- Episodes 113 & 114
I've always maintained that Naomi's death was definitely due to the curse: if the curse didn't couldn't find any material to work with, then it would create the material.  But there is no doubt that the curse found great material to work with here.

Vicky had me interested when she started asking Nathan why he had it in for her.  She sounded forceful and intelligent.  But she lost me when she claimed she had never said anything against him.  Huh? She told him he had no taste!  That was back in the good old days before she was formally accused of witchcraft - during the conversation in which Nathan said he was a womanizer but he wasn't a liar.  Anyway - granted, we didn't see her telling anybody else that Nathan had no taste - but I would imagine that the memory of that conversation made it easier for him to deliver Vicky up for execution.

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 10:18:15 AM »
This was such a sad episode! [snow_sad] I cried just reading Robin's Robservation! [snow_cry] I think Naomi's death was the saddest of all the deaths on DS. She really loved Barnabas, and had endured so much with Sarah and Barnabas's "deaths" that this was the last straw for her. However, I think if she had waited until she had spoken to Barnabas, she might have changed her mind. I am of the belief that ultimately, it was Angelique's curse which caused Naomi to commit suicide. Angelique did not force Naomi to commit suicide, but  the curse set things in motion which led to the events leading up to the suicide. Sure, Naomi was probably a depressed alcoholic, but I don't think she would have committed suicide if Angelique had not caused all those horrible things to happen.   

For all his protestations, I believe Joshua did love both Naomi and Barnabas. However, Joshua's lack of the ability to express affection probably helped him with the curse. Besides, as was pointed out before, there were plenty of people who loved Barnabas who did not die. [snow_wink]

Nathan was sly with Vicki. He saw Naomi knock on the door, so he knew the signal. It was good of Naomi to think of Vicki before she took the poison. As I said before, I hate Nathan! [snow_angry]

----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 01:41:25 AM »
I'm trying to remember, and I just don't think I was as drawn in by Liz's path to suicide as I was by Naomi's.  Liz basically didn't want to die, but Naomi has gone through too much, and lost hope that the accumulation of tragedy will ever stop. (Smart woman.)  I suppose Naomi started out with a gloomier outlook on life than Liz did.  Somewhere in this Forum there's a thread about whether Naomi's death was due to the curse or due to the pre-existing dysfunctionality of the 1795 Collins family....found it!
Re: Blaming Angelique / was: Re: On the Lam -- Episodes 113 & 114
I've always maintained that Naomi's death was definitely due to the curse: if the curse didn't couldn't find any material to work with, then it would create the material.  But there is no doubt that the curse found great material to work with here.

Vicky had me interested when she started asking Nathan why he had it in for her.  She sounded forceful and intelligent.  But she lost me when she claimed she had never said anything against him.  Huh? She told him he had no taste!  That was back in the good old days before she was formally accused of witchcraft - during the conversation in which Nathan said he was a womanizer but he wasn't a liar.  Anyway - granted, we didn't see her telling anybody else that Nathan had no taste - but I would imagine that the memory of that conversation made it easier for him to deliver Vicky up for execution.

Not to mention the memory of her slapping him in the face when he tried to kiss her the first time they met. I think that would be an even more bitter memory than the no taste comment.

Nathan, as I've said before, though, is at this point out for himself. I believed him when he told Vicki he was turning her in to get some money, since he wasn't able to squeeze any out of Millicent, plain and simple.

Would he have still turned Vicki in even if he had laid some hands on all the Collins wealth he could ever want? Something to think about.

Naomi's death was so sad. She didn't deserve such a tragic end, especially after all she had already suffered through. And to die in Barnabas' arms....that tragic memory would haunt him for many years to come, I'm sure.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 01:47:42 AM »
It always seems ridiculous and unfeasible, the idea of one man taking another person "prisoner" at gunpoint, and marching her/him across town to jail or someplace.   That's a long way, in daylight, with witnesses who may want to interfere, and plenty of opportunities to run.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
  • True devotion! I love, love, love dear Barnabas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 07:12:13 PM »
After Naomi's discovery of Barnabas's condition, Barnabas could have gone away so as not to see her, but he chose to return to the tower room. I think some small part of him wanted to see her again, to be reassured that she didn't blame him or despise him for what he'd become. He still had to know that she loved him.

Such a tragic and sad episode.  [snow_sad] [snow_cry]
Barnabas to little Sarah's ghost: "I forbid you to leave! I beg you to stay!"