Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0992  (Read 1328 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0992
« on: May 04, 2010, 11:27:54 PM »

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Discuss - Ep #0992
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 09:21:49 AM »
Is Hannah Stokes played by the same actress as Mrs. Findley?   New music as Alexis sees her.   I'm not coming up with much to say lately, sorry...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 09:56:10 AM »
Magnus, Madam Findley was played by Cavada Humphrey, who was memorable as Miss Flannery in Thoroughly Modern Millie.  Hannah Stokes was played by Paula Laurence, who was a friend of Sam and Grayson Hall.  When I saw Madam Findley, it seemed to me that Cavada Humphrey would have made a good Magda, but I don't have that feeling with Paula Laurence.

We've segued completely away from Cyrus's experiment.  I guess it's on hold while he waits for Horace Gladstone to deliver a better batch of the magic chemical.  It's the parallel time version of the interval between full moons.

I feel sorry for Alexis.  According to what she says - and even if this woman is Angelique, it appears to be true, judging from how Hannah acts - Angelique was always the favorite twin of her father and her Aunt Hannah, and her mother (would that have been Professor Stokes's highschool sweetheart?), whom she appears to remember without rancor, is apparently dead.  No wonder she went to Italy and didn't come back for years and years.

The plant that Alexis was pruning was, so far as I could tell, a chrysanthemum, which struck me as interesting because mums bloom in late summer and early fall, and this episode would have been taped in early spring.  Also I thought chrysanthemums were associated with death, but Wikipedia says it's only white chrysanthemums that are symbolic of death, and only in some European countries.  However that may be, I like the continuity between the pruning in Angelique's room a few days ago and today's pruning.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 06:16:15 AM »
I'm not coming up with much to say lately, sorry...

Get with it, Crucible.

I like the continuity between the pruning in Angelique's room a few days ago and today's pruning.

Have pruning shears, will travel. Perhaps that's why she keeps them in her bedroom.

So what is the problem with everybody's hair???

Is it possible that Stroka is skinnier than Twiggy? My God!

You know, Bruno plays Ode to Angelique so many times, he ought to be able to play it backward by now.

I think it would be neato to have an eccentric auntie like Hannah. I like her, even if she is wearing a Geisha wig.

One thing's for sure. They always seem to outfit Amy in really cute clothes that suit her.

I wonder what the recipe for "bone Dust" is?

That vest that Bruno is wearing looks like a Simplicity pattern. I mean right out of the package.

Boy, Quentin is one handsome devil. Zowie!

Isn't Quentin great with Amy?

Piano playing by itself... What do you think now, Quentin?
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 08:04:13 AM »
That certainly is one crazy vest on Bruno.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 05:16:14 AM »
VO: MS  4/14/70

I don't really care for MS voiceovers.  I find them terribly over the top.  Even an actress like Grayson who is so over the top sometimes does very subdued voiceovers.  Our first look @ Hannah Stokes.  For the record I truly enjoy Paula Lawrence's interviews—they are fascinating and not boring like some interviews can be.  I absolutely adore the music piece they are playing when Hannah arrives @ Collinwood. It doesn't seem like it's played a lot or I have just forgotten.  I love Hannah's gaudy look with all the rings and huge earrings.

Is Alexis a hippie conservator as well wearing the same outfit the next day?  Perhaps she didn't bring a lot of clothing with her?  
 Bruno's outfit is too much with the maroon sweater and gold chain paisley jacket and pants—trippy Mr. Brady.  Well something was playing those keys—Is Angelique among them??  Great shot of the cottage for the closing titles and luckily I had some stuff to say about this ep.
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 01:39:15 AM »
I like Paula Lawrence, she and stokes in Regular time would make a great pair.

They must have used a player piano. I don't know how else they could have done it.

The Piano looks like it needs dusting or cleaning.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2010, 08:17:58 PM »
Hannah's mentions of such things as "stars in opposition, the heavens in turmoil" and the "blood red hand" of Death left me with no doubt that this was Joe Caldwell's work.

Hannah to Bruno:  "Remember, the dead can return in many ways."
I did remember those words when an odd-shaped shadow moved into view while credits were already rolling and just stayed there.  Weird.

Is it possible that Stroka is skinnier than Twiggy? My God!

Snort.  Maybe he should have let the costumers dress him because his other characters didn't appear to be so thin.  Your description of Bruno's vest is hysterically funny, Janet.

I wonder what the recipe for "bone Dust" is?

Take bone, pulverize it.  I've purchased bone meal at the local garden center, which I learned attracts dogs eager to dig up anything you fertilize with it, but who knew it could be used to conjure the the Spirit of Death?!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 05:43:46 PM »
That certainly is one crazy vest on Bruno.
Bruno's outfit is too much with the maroon sweater and gold chain paisley jacket and pants—trippy Mr. Brady.

And as I mentioned before, it's quite possible those were Stroka's own clothes.  [ghost_wink]