Author Topic: Grayson Hall's Hair (A Question For Her Legion)  (Read 2769 times)

Offline VictoriaWintersFan

• Junior Poster
  • "My journey is beginning..."
    • View Profile
Grayson Hall's Hair (A Question For Her Legion)
« on: August 29, 2004, 02:07:58 AM »
Hey all,

First of all I think it is great that there are such cool fans and  character groups out there. Speaking of Legions, anyone care to start a Victoria Winters Legion? (lol)

Anyways I was looking at the caps from Night Gallery (what year was this episdoe?) and I happened to notice that someone said Grayson wore a wig? Did Grayson wear wigs during her "Dark Shadows" days? Did she ever show her real hair (did she have any? lol)

Thanks,

Shane

-Also I am trying to find another show to buy on DVD, so far I only am collecting Dark Shadows (watching every episode for the first time, have Sets 5-13 so far) and I am interested in other shows out there I haven't seen. Does anyone know of any? Does anyone suggest I get Night Gallery?
Victoria Winters

~Governess of Collinwood~

1966-1968,1795

Her journey back from 1795 to present is just beginning....

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
Re: Grayson Hall's Hair (A Question For Her Legion)
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2004, 02:19:56 AM »
did grayson wear wigs???take a gander at her in her pre-1795 episodes.i don't know what exactly to call that thing perched on her head,but a wig will do.note how her own short bangs peek out of the front.i believe that the very short hair she sports after 1795 is all hers.it's nice to know another fan is as infatuated with the show's costuming as me :P.

as far as a victoria winters legion...sign me up.she's my all time favorite :-*.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline The Ghost of Sarah Collins

• Senior Poster
  • Do You Know My Brother Barnabas...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2004, 03:18:05 AM »
My favorite Julia hair style wig was in her first appearance, her hair curved around her ears like little earmuffs... very cute.
The Ghost of Sarah Collins (1784-1795)
Sister to Barnabas...@}{~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"That evil is wicked is well understood,
the wicked are punished so you must be good"
(Sarah to Barnabas)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2004, 03:26:16 AM »
I've always assumed that Julia's shortest hairstyle was Grayson's own hair and I always thought that was the perfect look for her.

She had such well-defined facial bone structure that it seemed a shame to hide her face under hair styles that were long or heavy.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
  • It's an Orbach's, darling...
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2004, 03:36:24 AM »
Hi Shane.  :) As far as your question is concerned...I know she owned multiple wigs/falls. As Charles Ellis pointed out recently, one was a treasured piece from Rita Hayworth...

And yes, she did have a full head of luxurious red hair underneath that  ::) ...lol...which framed her face beautifully on the show (after the 1795 flashback) and in many of her other ventures (cough).

On second thought - I'll let Steve, J99, Bette, etc. handle any specifics...they're the Graysonholic experts. An encyclopedia FULL of info!  :-*   ;)

W: http://hrh22.home.comcast.net

In case you didn't realize....Julia rules!  :-*

Offline Misa

• Full Poster
  • Is that you, Mr. Juggins?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2004, 06:35:52 AM »
I read somewhere, can't remember where now; that Grayson wore a fall or wig before the 1795 flashback. Then when she got the cute haircut that Barnabas liked so much that that was her real hair.

Misa

Offline VictoriaWintersRox

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • Vickified
    • View Profile
    • The Regal Beagle
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2004, 07:18:59 AM »
LOL, I seem to be one of the few people who doesn't mind the wig Grayson wore when she first came on the show. I really never noticed it until someone pointed on here pointed it out. Prior to that, I just thought she had really unfortunate hair  :o.

I liked when Grayson finally wore her own short hair in 1968. Out of all of the 'dos and wigs from her involvement with DS, my favorite would have to be the wig from her appearance in NODS. She looked great in that movie.

Anyways I was looking at the caps from Night Gallery (what year was this episdoe?)
That episode ("The House/Certain Shadows on the Wall") aired towards the end of December 1970.

Does anyone suggest I get Night Gallery?
I find NG to be an interesting show, although I suppose it all depends on what tastes you have. Overall, though, I personally find it highly enjoyable to watch.

Offline DStoDA

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • The DarkShadowsAddict
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2004, 02:58:41 PM »
I personally liked Grayson's hairdo during the end of the series when she started to grow her hair out. But I did love her in that black wig as magda.

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2004, 03:41:51 PM »
Grayson and wigs. .well the short pixie haircut is all Grayson . .her hair.  But yes she did wear a fair number of wigs on the show .. Her first appearance is a full wig, then when Dr. J comes to Collinwood its a hairpiece with her own hair at the front.  . . for flashbacks to 1897, 1840 and 1640 (?) there are obviously hairpieces on the back and toward the end of the show, when her hair was growing out, i believe she wore a hairpiece too to help with height.  I'm not sure about Hoffman's hairdo--Remember wigs were **THE THING** that era.  I believe her son also said their apartment was full of wigs.

As to starting a devoted Vickie following ..that is a good idea but i must protest the use of "Legion" which I've copy writed  ;D. . no actually, the use of Legion is based on a quip from the Divine One herself . . .so closely allied in my mind to only Her. 
Julia99

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2004, 04:55:11 PM »
OK- here's the lowdown on the actresses' hair.  For the first few episodes there was KLS in that dumb blond bubble cut wig, and Joan Bennett with the tarantula that was pasted on top of her head for nearly two years. (BTW, in an early interview Joan complained that she needed a new hairpiece!)  I was so happy when Joan FINALLY let her hair down in 1969- it was far more becoming.

As for Grayson, the pre-'68 Julia had that lousy wig that Curtis & company forced on her unitl Norma Curtis told Dan that Grayson looked much better with her own hair- so, the famous April'68 "haircut" was the result!  (And I hear that Norma's a redhead like Grayson!)  I always prefered Grayson's own tresses, and she looked fabulous in the later 1970 episodes and in HODS with the soft, upsept look.  To play Constance Collins in the 1680PT flashback (the Brutus story), hairstylist Edith Tilles added pieces to Grayson's hair for the elaborate 1680 'do Grayson had to wear.  Lastly, Edith pulled off a masterpiece with the wig she chose for Grayson in NODS- a glamourous pageboy that accented her face perfectly!

Lara Parker wore pieces for various "past" storylines, and it's a shame that Clarice Blackburn never got a chance to show off her red hair on DS, all of her characters wore dark wigs!!  Fortunately, she did get to wear her own hair in NODS... 

Lisa Richards had beautiful long hair offscreen, but except for the flashback sequence where "Sabrina" witnessed Chris' transformation into the wolf, she was forced to wear short, dark wigs!  Even for HODS they made her wear a wig as Daphne Budd! 

By and large, the 60s was notorious for the out-of-control use of wigs by women in all fields, especially the entertainment field.  The next time you see a vintage 1960s album cover by a pop diva like Dionne/Cher/Dusty/Aretha/Barbra/Petula and every lady who sang at Motown, take a good look at the hair- it's probably a wig!  The DS ladies were merely caught up in a crazy trend ........

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2004, 12:55:31 AM »
but wait there's more!...kls wore the blond wig for only a few eps. but her experience with pieces was far from over.when barn is holding her captive at the old house she dons an elaborate period wig...which she continues to wear throughout her grim basement imprisonment.when she escapes and is at wyndcliff,her hair suddenly falls to her waist.she wears it like this until 1795.when the story returns to the present,she has her own shoulder lenghth hair again.
alex wears a fall during her first few weeks on the show.it's especially noticable in the pilot and in early publicity shots for the show.which is funny because her own hair rivals any piece she might have on.
and lara wears lots of pieces in the time travel stuff...but don't forget the glossy black curls she dons as cassandra. :-*
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline victoriawinters

• Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2004, 07:36:54 AM »
It is also my considered opinion that any Victoria Winters fan thing not be called the legions.  VictoriaWintersFan probably does not know the history of the word, "legion".  So, let me explain...

Back during the day, there was a Ron Berry Radio interview with the cast.  Jonathan Frid was getting what was seeminly all the fan attention to which Grayson Hall quipped to Ron Berry, "My Fans are Legion."  This is the same text under the picture of Julia99's picture.  Thus, the name "Legion" does not go with AM or VW fandom.  It really belongs to Grayson and to Grayson alone because she was the one that said it.

However, I think we should call ourselves the "I don't knows" club.  It rings true to VW's character and fits with DS fandom generally.  Because "I don't know" when DS will air on TV again, "I don't know" when or where the next fest is or even if there will be one, "I don't know" if the restoration of the movies will ever be accomplished and released on DVD, "I don't know" if we will ever get to see the 2004 pilot some day, "I don't know" why I decided to chose the guy that pulls at his hair, left me at the altar and not the hot guy bitting my neck and the most important "I don't know" is whatever possessed me to take that stupid train in the first place when I had a perfectly good job at the orphanage where it wasn't it haunted.

We could hereinafter be known as the I don't knows.  Any in favor?

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2004, 08:07:19 AM »

I don't understand.

Offline victoriawinters

• Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2004, 06:18:42 PM »

I don't understand.
(ROFLOL)

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2004, 11:08:39 PM »
Victoria and Midnite. .FUNEEEE!!! :P
Julia99