Author Topic: angelique's portrait  (Read 1331 times)

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
angelique's portrait
« on: August 28, 2004, 03:11:12 AM »
liz found it to be "angelic" but it was anything but.who painted the portrait of angelique?she was an 18th century servant.portraits at the time were very expensive.they were painted for members of the upper class.

when barnabas brings sam evans the portrait to be "aged" he gives some rather cryptic instructions.a 10 o'clock start time to begin the work and that it must be done with a "hard,sharp" paintbrush.b. tells sam that he must not question these instructions,but doesn't sam find this at all suspicious?(i guess at this point the writers decided logic didn't really need to factor into the plot).when ang comes to the evan's cottage to claim the portrait she is indeed aged(face,hands),but her 1960's mini still reveals the lovely gams of a very young woman ::).
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: angelique's portrait
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2004, 03:26:56 AM »
Well, the part about the legs might be explained by the fact that they don't appear in the portrait.  How would Sam "age'" them if they weren't there in the first place?

But about everything else, of course, you're absolutely right.  No one would commission a painting of their servant girl in the late 18th Century...even if she was the object of someone's passion...how on earth would he explain it?

As for Sam asking questions.....I suspect the only thing Sam would want to know was how much he was going to get paid for this mystery job....and how much booze he could purchase with the payment.  ;)
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline The Ghost of Sarah Collins

• Senior Poster
  • Do You Know My Brother Barnabas...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2004, 04:41:28 AM »
Perhaps Angelique used a spell upon a former Master, causing him to commision a portrait of her, although I must say she did not seem very pleased... not by her expression.   ::)
The Ghost of Sarah Collins (1784-1795)
Sister to Barnabas...@}{~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"That evil is wicked is well understood,
the wicked are punished so you must be good"
(Sarah to Barnabas)

Offline Cassandra

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2004, 08:22:36 AM »
As for Sam asking questions.....I suspect the only thing Sam would want to know was how much he was going to get paid for this mystery job....and how much booze he could purchase with the payment.  ;)

I agree with Rainey here.  Also, when Barnabas first approached Sam about having the portrait done I do recall Sam asking questions and thinking the whole matter rather strange. But I guess with the offer of $1,000 Sam would probably go along with just about anything. 

As for who painted the portrait of Angelque, perhaps the DuPre family paid for her to have it done.  They did seem rather on close terms with her and it could be that when Josette had her portrait done the Dupre's decided to have Angelique painted too.
 On the other hand, it's quite possible that Barnabas paid for her to have one done when he sat for his portrait in 1795.  This could be one of the reasons why we never saw the portrait in 1795.  She couldn't very well say that Barnabas paid for it since it would give their "steamy love affair" away.

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2004, 08:28:23 AM »
Angelique created the portrait through magic.  In 1796 when Joshua and Countess DuPres met at the Old House to discuss Barnabas's situation and the fact that Angelique was a witch, the painting hanging above the fireplace began to glow and changed into a likeness of Angelique (a sign that her spirit was near.)  I don't think it was ever commissioned or that any real artist painted it.

ProfStokes

Offline The Ghost of Sarah Collins

• Senior Poster
  • Do You Know My Brother Barnabas...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2004, 03:10:02 AM »
Angelique created the portrait through magic.  ...  I don't think it was ever commissioned or that any real artist painted it.

I like your thoughts on Angelique's portrait much more than my own...  that is so cool!  :D
The Ghost of Sarah Collins (1784-1795)
Sister to Barnabas...@}{~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"That evil is wicked is well understood,
the wicked are punished so you must be good"
(Sarah to Barnabas)

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2004, 09:30:26 PM »
Angelique created the portrait through magic.  In 1796 when Joshua and Countess DuPres met at the Old House to discuss Barnabas's situation and the fact that Angelique was a witch, the painting hanging above the fireplace began to glow and changed into a likeness of Angelique (a sign that her spirit was near.)  I don't think it was ever commissioned or that any real artist painted it.

Do you know which episode that was?  That does sound really cool.
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2004, 10:50:38 PM »
Do you know which episode that was?  That does sound really cool.

It might be in episode 450, but I'm not positive.

ProfStokes

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2004, 05:36:16 PM »
HEE HEE!  Maybe Charles Delaware Tate painted it!  ;D
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.