Author Topic: a real bummer(adam story)  (Read 3313 times)

Offline The Ghost of Sarah Collins

• Senior Poster
  • Do You Know My Brother Barnabas...
    • View Profile
Re: a real bummer(adam story)
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2004, 06:29:36 PM »
I believe there were many good parts to the Adam/Eve storyline although some were just so silly...  :P
The Ghost of Sarah Collins (1784-1795)
Sister to Barnabas...@}{~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"That evil is wicked is well understood,
the wicked are punished so you must be good"
(Sarah to Barnabas)

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2004, 02:03:37 AM »
I totally agree about the Adam storyline (and other storylines taking place at the same time). They're some of the worst on the show, IMO, up there with the middle and end of Leviathan. Thankfully, there were still some gems during that time period (like the introduction of Humbert Allen Astredo as Nicholas and Marie Wallace as Eve), or else the show would've become almost unwatchable...Jeff and Adam both got on my nerves to no end, and Elizabeth began to grate with her constant fear of death. I loved Eve and Nicholas though.

I loathed the way the show seemed to focus completely on the latest 'freak'...the Collins family and Collinwood were pushed to the backburner while Barnabas and newer characters took up most of the airtime, with the Old House being the central location.

After 1967, it seemed like the show didn't have that much success with the present-day plots, with the exception of the haunting of Collinwood in early 1969. Leviathans and Adam both were a bust (IMO), and the second haunting, while not bad per se, had its share of faults.

i don't have anything against humbert allen astredo as nicholas blair except that he was a totally unecessary character.why?why introduce another monster when the show had not even resolved what to do with the ones they already had?it's just such overkill.it is sad the way the collins family gets pushed aside during this period...in fact,if the actors didn't have contracts i'd be willing to bet that the writers would just have written them all out to focus exclusively on barnabas and the monster-of-the-week.this story definitely is aimed at those "kids that ran home from school" rather than at adults who might favour a more subtle,well plotted tale :(.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2004, 04:25:53 AM »
Quote from: mscbryk
is sad the way the collins family gets pushed aside during this period...in fact,if the actors didn't have contracts i'd be willing to bet that the writers would just have written them all out to focus exclusively on barnabas and the monster-of-the-week.this story definitely is aimed at those "kids that ran home from school" rather than at adults who might favour a more subtle,well plotted tale :(.

But the show had already been on this path for some time by this point.  It was the arrival of the supernatural in the character of Barnabas that altered the series from a soap opera with gothic overtones to the "horror" hit that it became.  We "kids who ran home from school' may not have been the audience originally imagined, but once they had us, they'd have been fools to ignore us.

Let's not forget that a TV series is a for-profit product and not art-for-art's-sake.  The purpose of Soap Operas is always to sell soap.... ;)
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2004, 05:00:41 AM »
But the show had already been on this path for some time by this point.  It was the arrival of the supernatural in the character of Barnabas that altered the series from a soap opera with gothic overtones to the "horror" hit that it became.

hey rainey, i don't think this is entirely true.the 1795 story would not have had the impact that it had if it was just about a group of stupid monsters.it was about the history of the collins family.that is what made it so good.i don't object to the supernatural elements the show introduced,but during this story the family gets pushed aside and i don't think that's a positive development.during barnabas' whole first year his story was told within the context of his family.i just would have liked to have seen more of this and less 1968 monsters. ::)
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2004, 05:14:53 AM »
Oh I absolutely agree with you that the relationships among the characters were the best thing in the show.  And I would have gladly done without Adam and Dr. Lang, myself.

But once they had Barnabas on the scene, they were never going back to stories that were ONLY about the relationships.

It gets better.  There are WONDERFUL relationships in up-coming stories.  Wait till you see Judith and her brothers all in the same room together!!  :D
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2006, 08:36:09 PM »
Adam was most sweet and likable before [spoiler]Nicholas got a hold over him and started twisting his mind. Adam was quite vulnerable in his love for Carolyn and you can't help but ache for the poor guy when Carolyn is unable to feel as strongly about him as he did for her.[/spoiler]

The Adam story, while certainly not the best DS storyline (and I don't blame anyone for not liking it), it still held enough interest to keep me tuning in.