Author Topic: 6 degrees od Dark Shadows  (Read 1482 times)

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
6 degrees od Dark Shadows
« on: August 07, 2008, 09:56:40 PM »
How far will you reach to link DS to some other show or book?

My wife's name is Norma and she ask every time Stephen King uses the name Norma why he uses it so much. I always say that he MUST have been a Dark Shadows fan. I tell her that Dan's (Curtis) wife She doesn't believe me. She's thinks I can link DS to almost anything.

Kathryn Leigh Scott was in three edisodes of Matlock. One is a two part story the other isn't. In one of them there is a bar called "Sam's Place". I say the writers or director or somebody knew about DS. KLS had a father on DS named Sam that liked to hang out in bars! That can't happen by change, can it?

It would be easy to say that Lara Parker play a witch on "Kolchak: The Night Stalker" even knowing that the show wasn't directed by Dan. That one is real easy. But to really reach.  I'm told that just because the movie "Halloween" had a doctor named "Sam Loomis" doesn't mean that John Carpenter was DS fan. I don't believe that. The names  Sam  or Loomis could be in any movie and mean nothing but to have them in a horror film together means to me that someone that worked on the movie was a DS fan.

Anyway, here's my question. How far have you reached to make a DS connection? And did you really believe it, when you made it?
May you die before you want too.

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
Re: 6 degrees od Dark Shadows
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 10:05:18 PM »
I mean no offense here, but I already made a topic about this on the Games board.

But yes, I've reached very far to connect various things to DS, as can be seen in my aforementioned thread.
A growing collection of humorous DS videos. Last updated 11-3-08

Did a large procession wave their torches as my head fell in the basket,
And was everybody dancing on the casket?

Note: I will not respond to private messages.

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 10:07:22 PM »
OK,  [ghost_smiley] I'll look for it.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 02:18:08 AM »
Stephen King has made several references to Dark Shadows in his books. He often uses the character's names in his stories, such as Trask, Josette, Barnabas, et all.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 02:43:28 AM »
I mean no offense here, but I already made a topic about this on the Games board.

A search of the forum will actually show that yours was not the first. This one and yours simply happen to be the latest. And I'm not so sure borgosi intended this topic to be in the same spirit as you intended yours to be. For example, borgosi's wife wouldn't really be an appropriate entry in your game.  [ghost_wink]

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 03:13:54 AM »
*headdesk* I really am sorry. I could have sworn that I used the search feature before I posted that. Again, I apologize to borgosi, and to MB about the unnecessary server space I killed with my thread. [ghost_sad]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 03:23:50 AM »
You haven't unnecessarily used server space with your game, Goober. Not at all, so there's no need to apologize there.  [ghost_smiley]  All I meant was that you were not the first to apply the 6 degrees concept to DS. Truthfully, the other topics were posted and archived years ago and have run their course, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with reviving a similar idea with a new topic after years have gone by since someone else has done it - especially when it's a good idea. And actually, posters revive old topic ideas regularly, bringing their own unique slant to them. That's exactly what you did. It's exactly what borgosi did. And no doubt people will certainly continue to be do it in the future.  [ghost_wink]

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 10:58:18 AM »
I wasn't asking about the easy DS connections that you can back up, like an actor that appears in DS and another movie. I was asking more about those connections that you can't prove. Like a movie or show with a charater named Maggie that has a father named Sam, is there a real connection or is it just in the mind of a DS fan? And how far have you gone to make a connection? The kind of connection that only another DS fan can see. The kind where non-DS fans look at you like you've lost your mind. The kind where everyone says "You're really reaching this time, but ok, if you say so."

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2008, 03:51:41 PM »
Well, sometimes unlikely as it seems, you're not reaching.  A fun example is in the Dan Curtis ca. 1974 TV movie The Great Ice Rip-off (Grayson was in the cast, so there's already two DS connections there), there's a scene where the characters are having coffee in a diner, and you can hear the popular 45 rpm version of "Shadows of the night" playing on the diner radio (of course, Bob Cobert did the score for the movie).

G.

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2008, 01:07:09 AM »
Again, I apologize, Borgosi. I had had a bit of a stressful day yesterday and all I (very idiotically) bothered to do was see the title and post "I HAD IT FIRST LOL."

In one of the Southern Vampire books, there's a doctor (mentioned briefly; not a major character at all) whose description could easily apply to Dr. Hoffman.

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2008, 01:53:39 AM »
No harm done. [ghost_smiley]

The first time I saw the movie "Now And Then", with Melanie Griffith, Christina Ricci, Demi Moore, Thora Birch, Rosie O'Donnell, Gaby Hoffmann, etc, it was because I daughter wanted to see it. It's kinda an all girl of "Stand By Me" and I didn't really care about watching except for the fact that my daughter wanted to. Anyway as we're watching it they pan the room of one of the young girls and there on the wall is a poster of Barnabas! We were watching it DVD and I said "Stop the movie!! Back it up", we and even the second time no one saw it. I said "OK, we'll go frame by frame", they saw the poster but didn't believe it was Barnabas. I told them to go ahead and watch the movie and I'd be back. I went and found an old issue of "Famous Monsters" with an add for the very poster in the back pagers that was for order from Captain Co., now they believe me. But they still really don't care. I, on the other hand, bought a copy of the movie. [ghost_smiley]

Offline John_in_NC

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2008, 04:41:33 PM »
Joan Bennett's sister Constance played the character Laura Murdock in the movie "The Easiest Way".  Perhaps Joan could have mentioned the name to the writers?
John in NC

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2008, 04:31:26 AM »
When I read that in "The Bennetts; An Acting Family" I wondered the same thing.