Author Topic: Barnabas/Will Loomis  (Read 968 times)

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
Barnabas/Will Loomis
« on: February 11, 2007, 08:57:24 PM »
This is just a question of curiosity.  When Will confronts Barnabas in the basement and traps him in his coffin in Parellel Time, did anyone besides me find it odd that Will walked over past the coffin and turned his back to Barnabas?  Why didn't Barnabas just come up behind him and strangle him.  I know the whole thing was plot device to spririt Jon off to do HODS?  But I personally  thought it was very sloppy writing. Can anyone come up with a reason why Barnabas couldn't attack him from behind and choke him or for that matter...fade out as he as done many times before? Or maybe even turn into a bat?
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
Re: Barnabas/Will Loomis
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2007, 09:13:33 PM »
Didn't they keep a cross on his chest?? I know they went around wearing them.  :D
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Alondra

• Senior Poster
  • Dark Shadows Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2007, 09:30:10 PM »
This is just a question of curiosity.  When Will confronts Barnabas in the basement and traps him in his coffin in Parellel Time, did anyone besides me find it odd that Will walked over past the coffin and turned his back to Barnabas?  Why didn't Barnabas just come up behind him and strangle him.  I know the whole thing was plot device to spririt Jon off to do HODS?  But I personally  thought it was very sloppy writing. Can anyone come up with a reason why Barnabas couldn't attack him from behind and choke him or for that matter...fade out as he as done many times before? Or maybe even turn into a bat?

Ok you're talking about the time he first uses the cross to force Barnabas to his coffin and chains it up? Because later on they have [spoiler]moved the coffin to the secret room behind the bookcase. Will was forcing Barnabas to tell his sad tale, and became engrossed with taking notes and got distracted. Barn went behind him and choked him with the cross he was wearing. Then he bit him and he became Willie Loomis. Oh what a scene. Though I love JK's characters, Will had that coming![/spoiler]

I will watch my DVD of this first scene and reply again. I don't remember Will turning his back on Barnabas at that time.

Alondra

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2007, 09:54:30 PM »
Presumably because the cross was already in the coffin and Will had ordered Barn into the coffin, Barn wouldn't have been able to do anything.

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2007, 10:31:59 PM »
I remember this scene quite well because it was very awkwardly shot.

IIRC, Will placed a cross in the top of the coffin, so that when the coffin was closed the cross would face down towards Barnabas. Personally, I don't think it would've affected Barnabas at all. He could've just closed the lid or turned away like he did when someone would hold a cross up to him.

The reason that Will moved around the coffin and off to the other side of the set was so that they could get the camera angle that they needed. You see, IIRC, they later showed Barnabas laying in the coffin and Will closing the lid, after Will's little aside to the camera. So, Will moved off to the side to allow for the cameraman to zoom up to him while he was talking and cut Barnabas and the coffin our of the frame so that Jon Frid could climb into the coffin without being noticeably clumsy.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2007, 10:39:13 PM »
IIRC, Will placed a cross in the top of the coffin, so that when the coffin was closed the cross would face down towards Barnabas. Personally, I don't think it would've affected Barnabas at all. He could've just closed the lid or turned away like he did when someone would hold a cross up to him.

Will held a cross plus there was another cross affixed to the inside lid of the coffin. I think we're to assume that once Barnabas was ordered to get inside the coffin, that cross in the lid incapacitated him somehow even though the lid wasn't closed. Though if he was able to climb in with the cross there, one might wonder how it prevented him from climbing out.  [idontknow]  But crosses exert weird powers on DS whenever the circumstances demand it. Like, say, when both [spoiler]Tom and Roxanne were held at bay by one to be destroyed by the dawn. And in Tom's case it wasn't even a real cross but two candlesticks held in the shape of a cross.[/spoiler]One might assume they could have simply disappeared to escape - but apparently they were incapable of doing so.

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2007, 11:55:00 PM »
But crosses exert weird powers on DS whenever the circumstances demand it. Like, say, when both [spoiler]Tom and Roxanne were held at bay by one to be destroyed by the dawn. And in Tom's case it wasn't even a real cross but two candlesticks held in the shape of a cross.[/spoiler]One might assume they could have simply disappeared to escape - but apparently they were incapable of doing so.

[spoiler]There was the time  1840 when Julia used it when Bad Barn was attacking her. Then Good Barn then took possession  [cheerleader][/spoiler]
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate