Author Topic: Merchandising  (Read 3345 times)

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Merchandising
« on: March 21, 2004, 04:32:51 PM »
Hopefully with the new interest generated by the proposed WB series, MPI will come up with new merchandising. Does anybody have any ideas what they would like to see in addition to the boxer shorts and towels now offered by MPI? ( hopefully they will use a bit more imagination).

Personally I would like to see Limited Edition Collector's Plates of all of the Dark Shadows characters and places like Collinwood, etc... just like the ones you see with the Franklin Mint, the Danbury Mint and Hamilton Collector's Plates. There is alot of beauty in Dark Shadows ie... Josette's portrait and various other paintings. I think it is about time that the art makes it to the professional collector's plates.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Re:Merchandising
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2004, 05:10:53 PM »
jimbo...very good idea, especially about the plates.

(there are bobble-heads, not [I don't think] MPI related.)

What about mousepads? (Or, with wireless mice, will they become passe?)

What about stationery?

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2004, 05:50:27 PM »
Sationery,  great idea Patti!
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2004, 06:06:23 PM »
The best  "product" I can think of would be new novels written by Mark Rainey!!!!!!!!!!!!  :D

If the new show's a hit, perhaps the publishing house that didn't think there was enough interest to keep the novels coming, would re-consider..... and who else should they ask to write them?!!
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2004, 06:34:50 PM »
(there are bobble-heads, not [I don't think] MPI related.)

Oh yes, they're very MPI related.

Offline Maria_Merriweather

• Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2004, 07:04:40 PM »
I like the idea of collector's plates with the DS places (Collinwood especially) and characters. Also, I have seen alot of handbags with pictures on them of Elvis, Marilyn Monroe, Audrey Hepburn. You couldn't have one with Vicky on it for example (because AM is still alive, and I guess a person's image has to in the public domain) but it could have Collinwood on it or Widow's Hill. I want a DS handbag.[coolb]
MM

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2004, 08:58:19 PM »
Thanks Patti. I think MPI offers a mousepad but they surely can use different variations.
I am not knocking MPI here. They have done alot to promote Dark Shadows with their merchandise ie... videos,dvds,T-shirts,music box etc... but outside of the bobble heads they have stagnated in the past several years. I think another issue here is that it appears that MPI has an exclusive contractual agreement with Dan Curtis Productions for merchandising purposes. I personally believe this impedes creativity from preventing other vendors to come up with new ideas and products. It is all about control. I believe Dan Curtis and John Wells should open the merchandising to other vendors.

Offline Stuart

• Full Poster
  • Can you smell chips?
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Journal Online
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2004, 09:18:28 PM »
I'd assume that if the new version goes down well, then they won't waste any time exploiting that...

MPI irritate me...  They produce something like the Bobbleheads, which are probably the best thing they've ever done, then use them solely as a premium for their DVD club...  I think they had the potential to be great sellers, but the average fan can't afford to spend over $350 for the chance to own one.  They really could use more common sense - give away a mousepad or something like that and actually try *selling* the decent stuff.

I'd like to see them do more audio plays a la "Return to Collinwood" - they're cheap to produce and the possibilities are endless.  They could compliment both the original and new episodes very nicely, I think.
http://darkshadowsnews.blogspot.com | The Dark Shadows News Page
http://www.collinwood.net | Visit the Dark Shadows Journal Online

Offline victoriawinters

• Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2004, 08:25:40 PM »
MPI irritate me...  They produce something like the Bobbleheads, which are probably the best thing they've ever done, then use them solely as a premium for their DVD club...

I'd like to see them do more audio plays a la "Return to Collinwood" - they're cheap to produce and the possibilities are endless.  They could compliment both the original and new episodes very nicely, I think.

I got my Barnabas bobble head at the fest for about $30 US.  Thought they had those on the regular MPI website.  If not, I'd probably call or e-mail them to see if they are for separate sale.

I'd also like to see more radio plays.  I thought Return to Collinwood was really well done.  It met or exceeded all my expectations.

I'm personally waiting for the PlayStation 2 game of Dark Shadows.  The Old House, Collinwood, Masueloum, Dr. Lang's Lab, Julia's Lab, etc. would lend itself to all kind of great battles, dungeons and puzzles to solve.  Barnabas would naturally be the hero.  His special abilities can include shape shifting into a bat, doing his old disappearance trick and biting in vampire form.  He could use his cane as his weapon.  Everytime it made a hit to the baddy, it cried, "Willie."

It should be single or multiplayer since I'd want my friends over to play.  In multi-player mode, someone can be Angelique, Quentin or whoever.  Barnabas can join with Quentin for the huge battle.

There would be loads of replay value since you can run the game with different characters and choose different endings.  I'm really looking forward to owning this game!

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2004, 08:50:19 PM »
How fun, victoriawinters! I'm afraid the electronic game craze has passed me by, but I would love to buy a DS PS2 game and maybe give it a shot with my grandson when I visit Jersey, should it ever come to be.

Wondering, just for the sake of asking, would you (or anyone else who'd like to chime in on this) prefer the game to be set in the 60s, 90s, or the possible 2004 series? Would it matter?

dom

Offline coterie-mc

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Dark Shadows Collectiables
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2004, 09:17:03 PM »
Victoria, i think that would be a great seller, and I would have it based on the 1960's DS, (more characters and a bigger audience), the plates would be nice to see and own and sure would become collectiables real fast.  here's a couple of more items i came up with. (hope they are not too far fetched)...
Count Petofi 3-D Glasses
Jeff Clark Hair Brush & Mirror Set
Sam Evans Etch-a-sketch
Dr. Julia Hoffman Chemistry Lab Kit
Magda Fortune Ball (the one that you ask a question and then shake the ball and it gives you an answer)
Carolyn & Buzz Motorcycle model kit w/attachable David figure
Sarah Collins Doll

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2004, 09:32:10 PM »
I got my Barnabas bobble head at the fest for about $30 US.  Thought they had those on the regular MPI website.  If not, I'd probably call or e-mail them to see if they are for separate sale.[/color][/size]

The only bobblehead they offer separately via the web site at the moment is the werewolf. It'll set you back $29.98.

So I guess they only offer the latest in the series.

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2004, 09:37:42 PM »
Jeff Clark Hair Brush & Mirror Set

Oh, too funny, coteriemc....[lghy][lghy][lghy][lghy][lghy][lghy]

but hmmmmmmm....it is the perfect gift for MB!!!........[vryevl]

"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2004, 09:47:35 PM »
hmmmmmmm....it is the perfect gift for MB!!!........[vryevl]

You gift me with that and I can guarantee you'll end up in a neverending (well, until you die) coma because I'll hit you over the head with it THAT hard.  ;D

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2004, 09:51:34 PM »
Pure evilness does have it's rewards, eh, Rainey? lol