Author Topic: Time Traveling AND an earthquake?  (Read 3037 times)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Time Traveling AND an earthquake?
« on: June 28, 2004, 01:07:01 PM »
The time is out of joint ...

Most strange, untim'ly happenstance doth affect these hinter regions
What, do these most unnatural portents breed black deeds?

OK, so maybe this Hamlet business is beginning to affect my mind, but it is about 6:30 a.m., not the time of day I usually think most clearly ... but there have been some odd occurrences of late ...

Regarding this forum, last evening, I'd guess somewhere around 5 or 6 p.m., I posted a notice about Dan Curtis' "The Love Letter" airing later that night and another post.  Not too much later, I returned to the board (under the cloak of anonymity) and noticed that the board said that I had made the Love Letter post at 10:30 p.m. "yesterday" (i.e., the day before). Now, I may be confused from time to time, but I know whether half an hour has passed or an entire day ... (maybe Hamlet's madness is affecting me.  Or maybe I'm feigning Hamlet's madness.  Or ...)

So, after this unusual foray into time travel (and no, I wasn't fooling around with the I-Ching) ... I'm writing a letter at my desk on the computer, and suddenly I'm feeling ... vibration.  An 8-foot tall metal storage cabinet next to my desk was shaking, and I could see a box on top vibrate over to the edge; a large framed poster of the Golden Gate bridge over my desk began to scuttle sideways, and my legs and feet felt like I was in one of those vibrating beds.

Mad, you'll say, we always knew, he's mad ...

Well, I'll have you know that despite the strange events I'm relating, the second one, at least, has been validated ... we did have an earthquake in these parts, at 1:10 a.m.  (Hopefully our cousin from England, Ben, who was nearer the epicenter, has survived undamaged!  And Gerard, we know, is off sailing across the ocean.)

But as for the time travel ... now this morning, the Time seems to have righted itself ...

-- Mad Vlad
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Time Traveling AND an earthquake?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2004, 05:59:23 PM »
The time is out of joint ...

Regarding this forum, last evening, I'd guess somewhere around 5 or 6 p.m., I posted a notice about Dan Curtis' "The Love Letter" airing later that night and another post.  Not too much later, I returned to the board (under the cloak of anonymity) and noticed that the board said that I had made the Love Letter post at 10:30 p.m. "yesterday" (i.e., the day before). Now, I may be confused from time to time, but I know whether half an hour has passed or an entire day ... (maybe Hamlet's madness is affecting me.  Or maybe I'm feigning Hamlet's madness.  Or ...)

But as for the time travel ... now this morning, the Time seems to have righted itself ...

The problem was that you read the forum "under the cloak of anonymity". When you're not logged in, you see everything in terms of GMT because that's the forum's default time frame. But when you're logged in, you see the time in terms of the offset you've entered into the "Look and Layout Preferences" page in your profile.  ;)

For example, this post says that I made it at 12:59:23pm my time, but if I logout, it says that I made it at 5:59:23pm. Similarly, anyone who's not logged in sees that your Love Letter post was made at 10:48:54pm yesterday.

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2004, 09:59:02 PM »
Thanks for clearing up the mystery, MB.

However, I'm not certain this really clears up the question ...

When I'm logged in now, it says I made the post "Yesterday at 10:48:54 p.m."

When I'm not logged in, it says I made the post 8 hours earlier, "Yesterday at 2:48:54 p.m."

BUT yesterday, when I made the post, let's say it was actually at 5:48:54 p.m. (CT), which I think is correct.  When I returned to the board incognito, I think it was no more than half an hour later, it said the post had been made, quote, "YESTERDAY ..." (and I didn't note the time).  Even given the 8-hr. difference between the board's settings and my personal settings, I don't see how it could say that I had made the post on the PREVIOUS DAY! If anything, it should have shown the post at 8 hours later when I wasn't logged in, not the previous day!

Sorry if I'm just not understanding here ... it's not that important, but just a curiosity ...

::)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2004, 10:17:48 PM »
Vlad...I read this first time this morning....mostly, I'm just glad you're okay!!

OT...and PS....does anyone else notice MB's stars look like MIDNITE's????(oh no.....oh nooooooo!!!)

?time for oragami?

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2004, 11:14:14 PM »
However, I'm not certain this really clears up the question ...

When I'm logged in now, it says I made the post "Yesterday at 10:48:54 p.m."

When I'm not logged in, it says I made the post 8 hours earlier, "Yesterday at 2:48:54 p.m."

Actually, you've got those two switched around. For anyone coming to the forum right now who isn't logged in, your Love Letter post says that it was made "Yesterday at 10:48:54pm". However, I checked your profile, and you have the time offset set at -8, which is for PT, which is why when you're logged in you see "Yesterday at 2:48:54pm" - but you don't live in that time zone, do you?

BUT yesterday, when I made the post, let's say it was actually at 5:48:54 p.m. (CT), which I think is correct.  When I returned to the board incognito, I think it was no more than half an hour later, it said the post had been made, quote, "YESTERDAY ..." (and I didn't note the time).  Even given the 8-hr. difference between the board's settings and my personal settings, I don't see how it could say that I had made the post on the PREVIOUS DAY! If anything, it should have shown the post at 8 hours later when I wasn't logged in, not the previous day!

Again you've got things backwards. 5:48:54pm CT is 11:48:54pm GMT. If you came back to the forum a half an hour afterward and you weren't logged in, it would already have been 12:18:54am today so far as GMT and the forum is concerned. So, your post would have indeed been listed as having been made "yesterday" because the forum's day had already changed. GMT is 5 hours ahead of ET, 6 hours ahead of CT, 7 hours ahead of MT, and 8 hours ahead of PT.  ;)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2004, 11:21:51 PM »
OT...and PS....does anyone else notice MB's stars look like MIDNITE's????(oh no.....oh nooooooo!!!)

Oh Patti, Patti, Patti.  You still missed the one thing I've been expecting you to notice.  If it was a snake it would've bitten you.  ;)

You're right, btw-- our stars are switched in our posts on THIS board.

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2004, 07:51:16 AM »
I'm just glad you're okay!!

Thanks, Patti -- didn't mean to alarm (in Elizabethan English that would be "alarum," -- oh, sorry!  ::)) anyone, there was never any real danger, but it was a strange experience in this part of the country.  Last week there was a tornado, a more realistic danger -- and a couple of weeks ago my apartment building was struck by lightning!  ... Now I definitely quickly move to unplug my computer and all cables any time there's lightning!

MB,

Thank you for the explanation ... hmmmm .... I'll have to try to figure that out when I'm not quite so tired ... but trust you are right.   :)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2004, 12:37:00 PM »
Vlad...why don't you come out to NJ??
Yeah, it's Joisey...but no tornadoes/earthquakes, etc.

Yes...come out for a SAFETY visit!!!

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline victoriawinters

• Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2004, 06:41:10 PM »

Oh Patti, Patti, Patti.  You still missed the one thing I've been expecting you to notice.  If it was a snake it would've bitten you.  ;)

You're right, btw-- our stars are switched in our posts on THIS board.

You two have changed titles as well.  Normally, Midnite is the God.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2004, 08:10:11 PM »
You two have changed titles as well.

Yes, the titles for all 3 of us are different on this board.

Normally, Midnite is the God.

Oh no, that's not true.  (But thanks anyway for the validation, heheh. ;))  Posting status won't ever vary from board to board because it's based on post totals.  I'm a Senior Poster, and you can see that my post totals are well below MB's.

But thank goodness somebody finally noticed the deification!

M.  (quake veteran)

Offline victoriawinters

• Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2004, 05:29:19 AM »
Oh no, that's not true.  (But thanks anyway for the validation, heheh. ;))  Posting status won't ever vary from board to board because it's based on post totals.  I'm a Senior Poster, and you can see that my post totals are well below MB's.

But thank goodness somebody finally noticed the deification!

As long as I remain the one with the highest geek score, I'm perfectly content to give the three mods God status.

Quite true about MB's title.  You would be a Godess, not a God.  So, will the "God" title be male/female oriented?

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2004, 12:40:11 PM »

Midnite...if it's only about MB being a god...I had noticed that as soon as this newest board was running (a couple of weeks ago)?, but I don't think that's what you mean.

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2004, 12:47:10 PM »
hmmm...the modify button is still there...but "too long" message...

Anyway...I also don't think that what Midnite means is related to:

The only info on stats regarding mods is time online (here, in DS).

Not posting/not topic starting...just time online....

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2004, 01:52:49 AM »
Midnite...if it's only about MB being a god...I had noticed that as soon as this newest board was running (a couple of weeks ago)?, but I don't think that's what you mean.

It's what I meant.  You've announced other changes in membergroups-- when you noticed that members reached junior, full, and senior status.  Ah well, sorry.

Anyway...I also don't think that what Midnite means is related to:

The only info on stats regarding mods is time online (here, in DS).

Not posting/not topic starting...just time online....

I was really talking about posting totals.  The totals for mods aren't listed on the stats page, but they're in our posts, profiles, PMs, and in the members listing.  As for top topic starters, I actually haven't started very many.

So, will the "God" title be male/female oriented?

Uh uh.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2004, 12:12:17 PM »
(but it still doesn't explain the stars on testing board only change...)

Have a Happy 4th!

Patti
What a Woman!