Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0371  (Read 747 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0371
« on: January 15, 2013, 01:00:14 AM »
Robservations - #371

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0371

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 04:01:37 PM »
An action-packed episode!

As Barnabas continues to choke, Josette continues to scream in terror until Jeremiah and Vicki hurry in. (In fact, Josette is so terrified that she is wearing a completely different dress from the one she wore in the previous episode, even though this episode continues directly from the last one.)

Somewhere, the writers jumped the tracks with Vicki. The young girl who got off the train at Collinsport was able to “stand on her own two feet,” as she put it, holding her own with a rich and very persuasive suitor, not to mention a house full of Collinses.

Vicki foolishly tells Jeremiah that she's surprised at his concern for Barnabas. Jeremiah is outraged and insulted but explains that although he is Barnabas's uncle, they are age mates and as close as brothers. (Presumably he was the baby, born long after Abigail and Joshua, just as Sarah was born long after Barnabas. What's going on here?)

We get our first nudity on the show as the top two buttons on Barnabas's shirt are undone. Angelique secretly enjoys Josette's distress and Barnabas's suffering. When she is alone with Barn, she allows him to speak, but instead of telling her he loves her, he pleads, Help me. I can’t, she replies coldly. Even the doctor is at a loss. She adds ironically, Besides, I’m only a servant, not worthy of you. I feel I’m on the point of death, he gasps. In tears, Angelique rises from his bedside. She is truly frightened now: If he dies, she thinks to herself, I’ll have no one. I won’t lose him! [This exchange raises the interesting question of whether Barnabas knew Angelique was a witch before she came to Collinsport. He doesn’t seem surprised that she caused his attack.]

Angelique is flattered that a doctor was called and takes it as a compliment to her powers, but she is beginning to see that her spell--her first one?--is working all too well.

Realizing that she would have had nothing if Barnabas had died, Angelique finally gets the hanky off the little Continental's neck, but she has learned nothing. She still thinks that cruelty will drive Barnabas into her arms.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 04:15:26 PM »
Apologies for the long post above, but I forgot one little thing: Dr. Thornton (played by Peter Murphy, who has also traveled through time) can do nothing for Barnabas. But because this is his only on-screen appearance, he most likely lived to a ripe old age.  [snow_wink]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 04:46:44 PM »
We get our first nudity on the show as the top two buttons on Barnabas's shirt are undone.

It was shocking!!  [yikes]

[lghy]

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 04:35:15 AM »
We are t old that time is suspended and its 1795. I guess they didn't want people to think that they were missing events in the present . 
The chair in Barnabas' room is old and filthy looking even in 1795. The fabric on it always reminds me of a Julia coat.
So Angelique can't bring herself to dispose of Barnabas fearing of losing him.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 08:41:24 PM »
Well, I for one was very happy to hear AM’s voice used for the opening voiceover.

I wonder if the tablecloth on Angelique’s table is representative of the times? I like it.

I loved how the writers portrayed Josette’s modesty by having her catch herself in time to say that she and Barn were “talking” before his attack instead of "kissing".

Jeremiah’s shirt is very interesting and somewhat comical.

Speaking of jumping the tracks with the Vicki character; I have to agree with DarkLady. I had to wonder what was going on in Vicki’s head. I can see wanting to comfort the family knowing Barn will survive, but at what price – her own wellbeing? Its moments & acts like this that make it hard to defend the character against accusations of being clueless and empty-headed.

Seeing Barn in a perpetual state of asphyxiation was very uncomfortable for me. I was so happy to see Ange finally undo that handkerchief. I didn't get the impression that Barn feels Ange did this to him. But you are right DarkLady, an argument could be made in favor of Barn knowing Ange "dabbles" as it does seem that Barn might believe that Ange had the power to help him. Unless it was an act of desperation -- Somebody! Anybody! Help me!

I feel a bit embarrassed that I can’t watch this without getting emotionally swayed by it. I know we are only a few episodes in but so far it’s hard for me to enjoy this storyline for all its unpleasantness.

LOL, AD about Barn's worn out chair resembling one of Julia's outfits.

I noticed that Frid has top billing this episode over Anthony George. I wonder if this is a first.