Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0443  (Read 819 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0443
« on: April 25, 2013, 04:50:16 PM »
Robservations #443

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0443

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 05:18:46 PM »
Welcome, maid of Millicent.  Hope you don't die.   I couldn't help thinking what a more worthwhile individual the maid sounded like, just from the few seconds we hear her speak, as anti-egalitarian as that might sound.   I tried to imagine the mistress-servant relationship reversed, and it seems more right that way, except that Millicent would be bewildered by the work within five minutes...

I like Natalie in this, with Bradford.  He: "I'll be honest with you."  ND: "Aren't you always?" (slyly)   Her realization that Ang must be the witch was well done.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 09:29:08 PM »
Yes, I did like Natalie in this episode. Besides her finally coming to realize that Angelique--whom she always thought of as totally ordinary--was the witch, I liked how she appealed to Millicent's sense of propriety in attempting to talk her out of seeing Nathan (gasp!) ALONE at the gazebo. Nonetheless, Millicent goes anyway, schlepping the box with the pistols with her.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 09:34:14 PM »
Nathan is back in full scoundrel mode (was he ever out of it?). He's still in hot pursuit of Millicent and still hopes to marry her. (He's got some pair, eh? Maybe that's why he airs them out so often, lol.) His immediate plan to attain Millicent's favor is quite obvious and Noah Gifford is in cahoots with him. Anyone think these two could actually succeed at anything together that is more than even slightly complicated? Perhaps so, they did manage to dump Maude's body without getting caught. I picked up on a Jason/Willie vibe here (though these two are laughable compared to Patrick & Karlen).

Are we sure this is Millicent's maid and not a Collins family maid? BTW, she is not credited even though she has some lines...interesting...I guess that happens sometimes...I thought all speaking parts were credited. I'm a little surprised she wasn't chosen to do the OVO.

I was happy to see Grayson/Natalie, for a change of pace. Hall was good in this episode, as was Barrett, though Barrett rarely, if ever, disappoints. I guess there's no helping Millicent as she does not heed the warnings of those who(m) would look out for her best interests (Naomi/Natalie). I wonder if she would disobey orders or disregard advice from Joshua? Good writing here (Natalie/Millicent/Maid).

Anyone notice the change in Natalie - I am intrigued by what seems to me to be a kinder and gentler Natalie - How motherly, delicate and compassionate she is with Millicent. My first thought about Natalie is that she is sharp, and rude and dismissive, and though we have seen her be less so as of late, I have to wonder if there is a change in the way the character is being written to show that she has been somewhat humbled by the unfortunate events that have unfolded since her arrival to Collinsport. Or perhaps she is just naturally more forgiving of females in distress or females in general, think of Vicki being absconded by Trask. Or perhaps the effrontery and sarcasm of the early Natalie was just a 'front' or defense mechanism, and this caring Natalie is the real Natalie. I guess she was always nurturing to Josette. Maybe she no longer has reason to put up a wall. Though she did become immediately authoritative when Bradford showed up. I don't know, I would have expected the early Natalie not to be so kind to Millicent.

I don't get Bradford going to Salem to find Trask & I don't get Natalie hoping Angelique will come back. Neither makes much sense to me under the present circumstances. More so hoping the witch will come back, less so going to find Trask - I'm sure Perry Mason would send Paul Drake to Salem if he thought it would help his client...I'm all for sending Bradford out of town though, lol.

No big surprise that Millicent went to the garden at eight, right? I wonder if the guns are now loaded - a good way to save Forbes a whole lot of money, lol. If Forbes was smart, he'd kill Noah while saving Millicent and get rid of that threat. Maybe he will, or maybe Millicent will shoot and kill Noah, foiling Nathan's plans and making it seem as though Noah is the strangler and tomb robber (the cane/ring). I don't remember what happens next, as what happens next.

This business of Noah retrieving Josette's nacre fan from the Old House as instructed to do so by Forbes is totally ludicrous as played out in the script - but it's incidental, so that's that. And, Nathan warns Trask to stay away from the Old House but sends Noah right into the lion's den.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 11:50:31 PM »
I also liked the kinder, gentler Natalie. She almost certainly is thinking of Josette as she tries to steer Millicent away from Nathan. Maybe she's hoping Angelique will come back so she can confront her.

As for the earlier Natalie, I think she was concerned about what kind of family her beloved niece was marrying into. As a woman who seems to have traveled greatly and is greatly cultured, she probably didn't have much use for a family of people who had never left Collinsport--except for Barnabas, who as we all know, went to Martinique. But she always treated him with great fondness.

Bradford going to Salem doesn't make sense, but it does keep him out of the show for a few eps. [easter_wink]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 12:17:15 AM »
Trask's letter was shaky evidence, and Bradford needed to confirm that Trask wrote it (and not under duress) and was still alive, and had to get him to testify to this in court, for the letter to help Bradford.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 07:42:34 PM »
PS-- I LOLed at Millicent free-associating absent-mindedly with her maid, going from the fan to oysters making her ill in mere seconds...

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 08:25:27 PM »
That is funny, especially since oysters were considered an aphrodisiac.  [easter_cheesy]

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2013, 12:07:39 AM »
Noah talks like a 40's gangster. For some reason Nathan needed a stolen fan that belonged to Josette to send a  fake message from Barnabas.  Natalie reveals that Angeliques mother was not respectable because she used potients and herbs. Well wouldn't that make you think the daughter might have knowledge of these things as well?
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times