Author Topic: Deadbeat Madness and Cigarette Voice  (Read 746 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Deadbeat Madness and Cigarette Voice
« on: April 23, 2009, 04:32:14 PM »
Fans,

I don't know whether it is appropriate to quote this here, but I know the Grayson fans will appreciate it.  It is a review of RJ Jamison's book by one of the Amazon Top 100 Reviewers, Kevin Killian, and was posted to Amazon in January of this year.  Killian's review reads in part:

I didn't like NIGHT OF THE IGUANA, and as for DARK SHADOWS, I haven't seen many episodes, only the two films. I went into this book not knowing much about Grayson Hall except that all of my friends love her. As the story continued, I realized it was one I had read about already, to other actresses and women who grew up in a certain time. In fact, a lot of what happened to Grayson Hall (or Shirley Grossman) already had happened to Jacqueline Susann, the same sorts of trials and sorrows, especially in a theatrical world in which a certain kind of beauty was celebrated and those who lacked it had to use other sorts of skills to get ahead.

R. J. Jamison's research is pretty amazing, even though some of the gaps remain startling. Years go by without Jamison being able to account for what Grayson Hall was doing. But at a certain point in the late 1950s, we see all the disparate parts of her character come together and a star is born, sort of; she was a late bloomer and paid the price late bloomers do, all of a sudden producers look at you and you're playing Madwoman of Chaillot roles. It came to me that I had seen Grayson Hall on stage in the early 1970s, when I was just a boy, and I attended the legendary premiers of Genet's play THE SCREENS in an experimental production at the Chelsea Theater Center at the BAM. It was a scary show, and I didn't understand a word of it, and it seemed there were more people up on the stage than there were in the audience, but Grayson Hall made an impression on me; she frightened me with her deadbeat madness and her cigarette voice, like a man in drag. She was not on the side of the revolution--or was she? A committed actress, she didn't seek identification or sympathy from her audiences. Jamison's biography makes me want to seek out more of her work, even the SATAN IN HIGH HEELS Hall denied she'd ever made. <snip>

I'm envious of Killian's having seen her in that play!  This is the one where she spent much of the time on stage wearing bared fake breasts made of styrofoam into which knitting needles had been inserted.  Her makeup and wig for the role came out of some bizarre acid-laced space that takes up where kabuki leaves off...

G.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
Re: Deadbeat Madness and Cigarette Voice
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 02:42:55 AM »
I love the book.  I am currently reading it for the second time.  It's fascinating! [ghost_smiley]  I do wish more was know about Grayson during the gaps, but that is just life.  Apparently Grayson didn't keep a scrapbook of her career so kudos to RJ for having to piece it all together.
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Deadbeat Madness and Cigarette Voice
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 05:39:58 AM »
It'd be nice if we could I Ching back to let her know subsequent generations would be interested, so she could write it all down and fill in those gaps... Just last night I was thinking about getting my life history down, mainly as a tool for getting needed assistance re my medical state, but I wonder, should we all perhaps write our own account of our lives?   It may end up being the only coherent record of our having been here, and what our lives meant.

"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor