Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0153  (Read 1289 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0153
« on: February 24, 2012, 07:09:53 PM »

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0153
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 07:11:04 PM »
The very first trip to a graveyard!  [milestone]  (I'm sure EmeraldRose won't mind if I use that icon.  [wink2])

Little did the writers know what they were starting! Before long trips to a graveyard would seemingly be as commonplace and turn up as frequently as trips to the coffee shop do in these pre-Barn eps.  [b003]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 07:24:33 PM »
Roger is Mr. Recap, re-explaining to ECS what she already knows about their situation.

Riley just has to show Roger, and Roger specifically, "Margaret's" dental records... as if Roger might say, "Why, those are my wife's teeth!"   So Roger looks them over, furrows his brow, pretends to study them...  Hmmm...  I wonder if Riley was just a nut for "Show and Tell", when he was a kid.

427 Hilldale Avenue, Augusta, Maine.   David's dog was apparently named "Dog".   Since he drowned his cat, he might not have expected pets to linger long enough to need names.

Here comes the Stockbridges' graveyard!   I've been waiting for the first classic bum-bum-BUM!!! to happen.   We get a smaller version of it at the end of this episode.  Is this the first time for that?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 09:34:50 PM »
Victoria and Frank Garner are having dinner. As usual, Vicki is wearing a sleeveless dress, and her hair is piled on top of her head, making her far too elegant for her surroundings. Sheesh, it's only the Blue Whale!

Josette's jasmine scent guides Vicki and Frank to the cemetery. We get a spooky cliffhanger as the door to the little house slowly creaks open....

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 01:47:29 AM »
Vickie is compelled again against all reason, but hasn't this been her normal mode of operation?
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 12:51:57 PM »
Victoria and Frank Garner are having dinner. As usual, Vicki is wearing a sleeveless dress, and her hair is piled on top of her head, making her far too elegant for her surroundings.
And the opening voiceover was talking about how cold it was!
Sheesh, it's only the Blue Whale!
Funny how that place shuttles back and forth between dive and the best restaurant in Collinsport.

Roger knows Laura is not telling all she knows about the dead woman in Phoenix, but he's still willing to let Laura take David away without any guarantees of anything whatsoever.  I suppose, in his defense, you could say that just as he knows when Laura's lying, he also knows when she's sincere, and he knows in his heart (assuming he has one) that she's sincere in her love for David - but it would be a pretty shoddy defense, I think.

What exactly does Laura know about the dead woman in Phoenix?  It doesn't matter, as far as I can tell, but I'm sort of curious as to how much she knows about the mechanics of her own existence.  I'm assuming, of course, that we're expected to believe now that the dead woman in Phoenix was Laura.  So, was Magnus right when he said that Laura was physically in David's room the other night?  I'm still not putting it all together.

Josette's jasmine scent guides Vicki and Frank to the cemetery.
I don't think the scent guided them.  We didn't see Vicky sniffing like a bloodhound, saying, "This way!"  It was just the compulsion thing, with the jasmine scent to tell Vicky it was all right.  But (and surely I've asked this before) how many people recognize the scent of jasmine?  Still, it was interesting to see Josette take a different tack.  Or maybe she's given up on the Laura business and is guiding Vicky to her parents.  What's the attention span of a ghost?

The ending was very nice and classically spooky.  As Frank was persuading Vicky to go away, I was thinking of The Listeners, by Walter de la Mare:
   'Tell them I came, and no one answered,   
      That I kept my word,' he said.

And then Dark Shadows diverged from the poem, and the door started opening.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 03:18:48 PM »
So, was Magnus right when he said that Laura was physically in David's room the other night?  I'm still not putting it all together.

I think she was solid when in David's room, but I don't think she necessarily got there by physical means...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 06:50:34 PM »
So...how?  And was there a physical Laura in the cottage while she was physically in David's room?  If so, then at that point there were three physical Lauras at once, if you include the burnt up one in Phoenix.  Are there any more Lauras?

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 12:24:10 AM »
So...how?

Well, magic. 

And was there a physical Laura in the cottage while she was physically in David's room?  If so, then at that point there were three physical Lauras at once, if you include the burnt up one in Phoenix.  Are there any more Lauras?

It just seemed to me like a straightforward situation in which a character with powers (and we're only now gradually finding out what they are) transported herself physically from one place to another.   Despite the burnt body mystery, I don't think that there is ever any more than one living Laura anyplace at any one time.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 07:06:49 PM »
I think the physical Laura is the body in Phoenix which is why David kept saying that is not my mother. The figure that we see is maybe a projection of Laura that the Phoenix whatever it looks like uses as to not reveal it's true form.  What I don't quite understand is why Laura burned once in Phoenix and [spoiler]then has to burn again with David unless it's some kind of progression to get to the promised land.[/spoiler]
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 10:13:53 PM »
Oops, spoiler...

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2012, 05:03:38 PM »
I think the physical Laura is the body in Phoenix which is why David kept saying that is not my mother. The figure that we see is maybe a projection of Laura that the Phoenix whatever it looks like uses as to not reveal it's true form
Fascinating theory.  I'm still having serious problems with physical versus virtual, but this gives me something to work with.