Poll

Which is your favorite Chris Pennock character?

Jeb Hawkes
3 (15%)
Cyrus Longworth
2 (10%)
John Yeager
0 (0%)
Sebastian Shaw
0 (0%)
Gabriel Collins
15 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Author Topic: Favorite Chris Pennock role  (Read 3649 times)

IluvBarnabas

Favorite Chris Pennock role
« on: October 14, 2006, 04:12:43 AM »
My personal favorite is Gabriel. He was such a greedy, smarmy, murderous weasel and Pennock played him to perfection.

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
Re: Favorite Chris Pennock role
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2006, 05:35:09 AM »
Gabriel! I throw all my backing to Gabriel, he was just so fantastically ruthless and evil! I think he was Pennock's best role on the show.

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2006, 06:35:58 AM »
Actually, I have to go with Jeb Hawkes.  I know a lot of people don't like this character, but I find his earthy, lower class gruffness to be a refreshing change from the more effete male characters in the series.  In fact, I think that his relationship with Carolyn was the only one in the history of the series that generated any genuine sexual chemistry between the two characters.  I really sensed that they were attracted to one another physically as well as emotionally.

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2006, 06:54:47 AM »
The other thing I like about Jeb is that he is the "bad boy" who tries to turn good but discovers that he has sown the seeds of his own destruction by his previous behavior and cannot escape his fate no matter how hard he tries.  That makes his downfall particularly poignant, especially when it drags down a genuine innocent like Carolyn in the bargain.  I find this to be a very moving storyline (the most "beautiful" and "lyrical" scene in all of DS for me  is the one in which Carolyn writes a note to her mother explaining her elopement with Jeb, then lies down on the bed and falls asleep.  The scene is genuinely breathtaking). 

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2006, 11:04:32 AM »
Jeb Hawkes was so bad, you had to like him.  From his camera to his leather pants, he added some 'kick' to the show.   [hall2_cool]

I think that of course Carolyn married again,but, she had a locket with his picture in it. 
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2006, 04:17:00 PM »
From his camera to his leather pants, he added some 'kick' to the show. 

*Did* he have leather pants?  I thought that was only Sebastian Shaw that wore the leather.
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2006, 05:00:22 PM »
Well it seems like Gabriel is winning with over 62% of the vote!

I really liked the character of Gabriel, but didn't he whine about Quentin this, Quentin that? Maybe I'm thinking of someone else, but I remember someone getting on my nerves because of this. I haven't seen the 1840 stuff for a while, and I'm rewatching and I'm currently in 1897 with Petofi just showing up, so I've got a while to go. lol

Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2006, 07:04:19 PM »
Yes, he whined, but that's just a part of what makes him such an accomplished weasel.     Another part is his intelligence, and therefore deviousness.     That's what takes your average everyday tiresome whiner and catapults him into the stratosphere of the truly great, pathetic whining weaselly bastards.

Gabriel wasn't just made a fool of by others-- he could do it too.   It's a great moment(s) when Gabriel [spoiler]first sizes up Gereard's real attitude toward Samantha, then S chooses Gerard, and Gabriel gets to drink in the pained expression on Gerard's face.[/spoiler]

Parallel Gabriel (not an option) was more of an ordinary weasel, but he was actually sympathetic once in awhile.

[candle_in_skull_2] [female_skull] [candle_in_skull] [skull_winks]
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2006, 07:54:42 PM »
Jeb Hawkes. ... I think that his relationship with Carolyn was the only one in the history of the series that generated any genuine sexual chemistry between the two characters.  I really sensed that they were attracted to one another physically as well as emotionally.

I'll concede that Nancy Barrett and Chris Pennock shared great chemistry. But Jeb was such a, well, cheap, insufferable pig that the idea of the two of them together was enough to make ones skin crawl. And the fact that Carolyn was so blinded by her attraction to him to see/understand/accept the truth that was literally haunting her dreams was a corruption of her character because Carolyn, if nothing else, had always been able to glean the truth of every situation that she'd found herself in. It was an all-time low for the notion that Love Is Blind - even by daytime's standards.  [sad3]

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2006, 08:29:31 PM »
Actually, I have to go with Jeb Hawkes.  I know a lot of people don't like this character, but I find his earthy, lower class gruffness to be a refreshing change from the more effete male characters in the series.  In fact, I think that his relationship with Carolyn was the only one in the history of the series that generated any genuine sexual chemistry between the two characters.

William H. and Carolyn Loomis had enough sexual chemistry to burn down the house.

"I-hate-you-because-I-love-you" relationships might not be pretty to watch.....but they almost make you watch despite yourself.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2006, 08:48:30 PM »
Congratulations, Raineypark, on becoming the second non-admin to reach the exaulted status of DSF God!!  [thumb]

And how appropriate for you that you did it commenting on a John Karlen character.
  [b003]

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2006, 08:58:04 PM »
And how appropriate for you that you did it commenting on a John Karlen character.  [b003]

Well, yes.....of course.....who ELSE woud I be commenting on?....[lghy]
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2006, 09:26:26 PM »
Congratulations rp!!     And show mercy on us frail creatures!    Do not play with us for your sport!     I beseecheth thee and sucketh up to thee in the most pathetic manner!

[candle_in_skull] [candle_in_skull] [candle_in_skull] [candle_in_skull] [candle_in_skull] [candle_in_skull] [candle_in_skull]
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2006, 10:30:33 PM »
I think it's just great, and absolutely right, that the goddesses outnumber the god by three to one.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2006, 10:33:31 PM »
I think it's just great, and absolutely right, that the goddesses outnumber the god by three to one.

Well, yeah....except having to share him gets complicated........[vryevl]
Dylan Thomas