Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #1138  (Read 1002 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #1138
« on: January 27, 2011, 12:59:18 AM »

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Discuss - Ep #1138
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 01:18:26 AM »
They zoomed in on Judah's stomach again!   Barnabas has developed a lot of ill feeling for Judah, considering he only just heard of him.   ***  Were there "new professional women" in 1840?   (As Roxanne wants to become)   I like when they talk about what's "modern" in past storylines, but is DS right about these things?   It seems that every "flashback" has talk about "modern women" who are only just then starting to do some things only men used to do.  You'd think that was an eternal trend...

Lamar makes a tempting case for himself, to Roxanne.   The "peace of a settled life" and a man who'll never let her down and stay devoted must sound good, when you've just lost what you're sure was the one true love you'll ever have.  That sounds like an argument a lot of suitors must have made over the centuries.   
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 04:00:39 PM »
Barnabas has developed a lot of ill feeling for Judah, considering he only just heard of him.

Now that Barnabas is one of the good guys, he probably feels he has a lot of atoning to do. And I suppose hearing about anyone else's misdeeds only adds to his own remorse for his crimes and increases his drive for justice. But it's great to see the B&J team back together again!

The only "new professional women" I can think of in the 1840s were mostly teachers, like Jane Eyre or Jane Austen's Mrs. Goddard, who runs a girls' school in Emma (set a bit earlier). Women could also be midwives, but they had no professional standing, certainly not against doctors. It took Florence Nightingale and the Crimean War (c. 1850) to make nursing a (barely) respectable profession. Of course no woman could study medicine--at least not at a medical school. That's why Julia has to tell Gerard (I think it's him) that she studied privately, since she just can't help doctoring everyone and everything in whatever "other century" she finds herself.

Nearly perfect voice-over by JF reading Barn's "Dear Roxanne" letter!  [nodassent]

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 04:17:13 PM »
Almost forgot the Lamar Trask Quote of the Day (said to Julia):

I heard you use the word “unpleasantness” as I entered the room.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 05:57:51 PM »
Jerry Lacy was absolutely superb in this episode. I loved it when he was talking about the nuptuals and not having any levity in his life.

I'm not a fan of Gerard, but James Storm plays him with devilish delight.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 09:56:55 PM »
Almost forgot the Lamar Trask Quote of the Day (said to Julia):

I heard you use the word “unpleasantness” as I entered the room.

I cane as close to a LOL as I'm likely to today...  Thanks DL for the history, too.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 11:39:01 PM »
We got an interesting detail about the marriage of Lamar Trask's parents today as he talked to Roxanne: Ma Trask didn't actually love Pa Trask.  They were devoted to each other, but Ma couldn't quite push her devotion across the threshold into love.  When did Lamar get this little tidbit of information from his Ma?  Pa died when Lamar was a baby, so why was Ma voicing such disloyal thoughts about her late husband?  I'm wondering if it happened sometime when Lamar was bewailing his bachelorhood to Ma and wondering why none of the girls would look at him.  And instead of saying, "You can't hurry love," Ma told him love just wasn't going to enter the picture at all.

Judah hops all over the place, like a flea.  First Desmond, then Leticia and Julia, and now Gerard.  Who's next?