Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0660  (Read 608 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0660
« on: March 15, 2014, 05:08:07 PM »
Robservations #660

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0660

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 05:46:18 PM »
Barnabas shows Julia the photo and insists that he has to go back to 1795 to save Vicki--even though it will mean reliving the most terrible time of his life. You can't will yourself back to the past, she argues. This time is all that exists for us. [C’mon, Julia, you know better than that!] Barnabas insists that he has to try.

The kids come downstairs and feign disappointment when Barn tells them they aren't going to Boston after all. Barnabas says, We can’t always do what we want when we want. [He never listens to his own advice!] David is sure the extra person in the photo is Vicki. Amy asks what happened to her. She went away on a long, long trip, Barnabas replies. Julia promises the kids a movie later and sends them off to play outside. With a smile of totally deluded fondness, she watches them go.

Outside, the kids gloat at how thoroughly they've fooled the adults. Now we can play the game in Quentin’s room whenever we want, she exults, and nobody can stop us! But what about the picture? David still wonders. Amy is sure Quentin didn’t do that. But why was Vicki in it? she asks. I don’t know, David says, but it’s scary. Amy wants to ask Quentin, but David insists that Quentin doesn’t know about it. Don’t be sad, Amy says. I like mysteries, even scary ones. So do I, David replies. But Quentin caused so many things to happen just to stop Barnabas. Why didn’t he cause this one too?

With an expression of resignation, Barnabas gazes at his portrait in the foyer. Julia comes downstairs from telling Maggie the trip is off. Maggie seemed relieved, Julia comments. As Barnabas collects his coat and cane, Julia asks where he’s going. I don’t find you particularly sympathetic, he comments a bit coldly. It would be better for you to stay out of it. I’m going to ask Stokes to help me back to the past as he did Peter Bradford. I will come with you, Julia offers immediately. If you should disappear, someone must know about it. Realizing this is only practical, Barnabas agrees. Hurry, he urges her. I feel we have so little time. If I’m right, Vicki will hang tonight.

The kids' idea of "play" has taken them to Eagle Hill, where they find a freshly dug, open grave.

Stokes examines the photo, and Barn begs him to give him (B.) the herbs he gave to Jeff Clark. What do you think I am? Stokes says crossly. A travel agent for time? Even though he admits being fond of Vicki, Stokes refuses to do it. Stokes tells him, Unless you’re from another century, it will produce nothing but a mild depression--and I speak from experience. Turning away from Stokes, Barnabas abruptly says, Suppose I am from another century? Julia actually stands up in alarm and has a sudden bout of coughing, but luckily Stokes is watching Barnabas. Then it’s one of the best-kept secrets in Collinwood, isn’t it? asks Stokes drily.

The kids return from an unsuccessful hunt for the caretaker--only to find that the grave has been filled in their absence.

Stokes tells Barnabas, There’s nothing I can do, much as I hate to admit inadequacy. Peter Bradford was summoned back to the past when he heard those he knew there calling to him. Julia adds, Peter then beckoned to Vicki to come back. Exactly! Stokes says and asks, Who is there in the past who wants you back there? Barnabas quickly answers that Vicki does. But she was unable to appeal to you personally, Stokes observes. Who else is there? Peter Bradford, Barnabas answers. He wouldn’t want you there, Julia argues. If he was convinced I was coming back to help her... Barnabas starts. Julia finishes the sentence her own way, telling Stokes, Peter would think Barnabas wanted to bring Vicki back to the present--exactly what you want to do, she adds pointedly to Barnabas. That’s unnecessary, Julia, says Barnabas stiffly. Julia urges him, I want you to be honest, utterly honest, about this mad dream. Even more stiffly Barnabas says, We are not going to bore Professor Stokes with what is a private affair. I’m sorry you couldn’t help me, he tells Stokes, but I won’t be discouraged from what I must do. He turns to leave. Julia gazes at his back longingly, then follows him out.

Amy points out that the newly filled grave is right next to Peter Bradford’s tombstone. Maybe Quentin did it, she says. It’s like one of his games. David points out, You know Quentin isn’t strong enough to leave his room. That’s why he needs us to do things for him. Amy suggests, Let’s pretend we imagined it all. We can’t David says. I want to find Barnabas. They leave.

Julia and Barn return to Collinwood, and Julia apologizes handsomely to Barnabas. Barnabas realizes that he has to convince Peter Bradford that he is just as concerned for Peter's happiness as for Vicki's. Just then the kids burst in with their news, and Barnabas questions them carefully about what they saw. They are wild to go back to Eagle Hill with the adults, but Julia sends them off for supper. [As they leave, the set fills with smoke in anticipation of the following misty scene at Eagle Hill.] Julia is sure the kids have overactive imaginations. Reaching for his cape and his cane, Barnabas tells Julia, We must go to Eagle Hill right away. Are you coming with me? Of course, Julia says. Barnabas adds solemnly, I must warn you--you may be coming back here alone. They leave.

David and Amy emerge from the door to the kitchen, annoyed that Barnabas and Julia left without them. Amy wants to know, What did Barnabas mean about Dr. Hoffman coming back alone? David replies, Barnabas knows a lot of things he doesn’t tell anybody. We shall just have to watch him, he says, sounding oddly adult.

Barnabas and Julia carry flashlights to guide them through the mist-shrouded cemetery. Julia brings Barnabas to Peter’s grave. (Vicki had shown it to her long ago, soon after her return from the past.) There’s no sign of freshly dug earth, Julia points out. I believe the children, Barnabas insists. It was a sign that I must get back to Vicki. Julia crouches beside him as he kneels before Peter’s headstone and appeals to him: Come back for me, so I can save you both. Barnabas waits hopefully for Peter to give him some sign, but nothing happens. Getting to her feet, Julia asks him, What good will this do? You should do nothing. It’s up to them to come for you. We should go back to the house, she suggests. You’re right, Barnabas sighs as he stands up again. They turn to go, but before they’ve taken more than a few steps, Barnabas decides to try appealing to Peter one more time. Julia tries to dissuade him, but he turns back--and is thunderstruck to see a new gravestone next to Peter’s. Horrified, he reads the inscription: Victoria Winters--hanged as a witch in 1796...

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 07:04:22 PM »
Barnabas's new obsession is fun to watch, because he's just gotten it into his head to go back in time, with absolutely no method in mind, and he's so determined, and certain of success.  Jonathan has a good scene that he does well, selling the idea to Julia, in which he imagines that past and present are going on simultaneously.  Julia tries to splash cold water in his face, and then ends up being caught up in the obsession without realizing it, speaking about the time trip as if it really might happen.

I wonder about their going to the effort of switching the year of these past events from 1795 to 1796.  I think Julia mentions 1796 as when Vicki was hanged, and Bradford's death year on his gravestone has been crudely altered to 1796.  Maybe they were getting ready for a possible long-term stay in the past, and decided that the earlier long stay in 1795 had been so long that they couldn't keep going in the past without acknowledging that it had to pass into a new year eventually.

I love the moment where Barnabas has to suggest to Stokes that he comes from another century, and Julia sputters and coughs in shock!  She almost does a comedy spit take.  I think that while DS is always played straight, they're still managing to write it so that they're having some fun with us the viewers.  I think I'd accept Barnabas's crazy time travel barely-a-plan better, if he'd takes Stokes' herbs, and used them in combination with the appeal to Bradford's ghost.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 06:40:17 PM »
It seems that the DS concept of time is that the past runs concurrent with the present so that changes that happen as the grave appearing seem new events, except they then decide that they can go back and change what is happening.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times