Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0656  (Read 851 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0656
« on: March 11, 2014, 05:44:35 PM »
Robservations #656

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0656

"Is Mr. Jonathan here?"

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 06:55:26 PM »
Yes, I remember that quote--hilarious!

But poor Barnabas doesn't find anything humorous about the current situation, even though he looks very handsome indeed in his three-piece suit. Because Carolyn is so upset, Barn is now effectively the head of the family and starts tackling Elizabeth's paperwork. I wonder what that would be like for such an eighteenth-century guy.

Poor David is crying for his aunt and gets angry when Amy assures him that she isn't dead. They go up to Quentin's Room, where the gramophone starts playing Quentin's Theme. We hear--for the first time?--Quentin's sardonic laughter, then he transmits his orders to the kids. David says that only babies cry. They wonder about Quentin’s latest orders--then remember that they aren't supposed to ask questions.

Mrs. J wonders to Barnabas if the children should be left alone. Victoria Winters would have known what to do! she opines with harsh disapproval. Sorrow flashes across Barnabas’s face for an instant, then he exclaims, That isn't being fair to Maggie! Mrs. J is instantly apologetic, and Barn describes (for our benefit as well as hers) the arrangements for Elizabeth's funeral. He also insists that no one should question Elizabeth's wishes.

The famous Mr. Jarrett arrives, asking for (yes!) Mr. Barnabas. He tells Barnabas about the phone call from "someone who sounded like a man." Barn sends him back to town. Amy and David return to Quentin's room, positively terrified. Please don’t be angry at us, Quentin, Amy pleads. We did what you told us to do.  David made the phone call and the man came, but Cousin Barnabas sent him away. We tried, she says plaintively. The chandelier begins to sway. David holds on to Amy. They stare at one another, frightened at this display of Quentin’s anger. When Barnabas questions them later, David starts crying all over again.

Later, the kids gloat about how good they are at fooling "them." But Barn is planning to take them to Boston and put them in boarding schools. He asks the kids if they like Boston. Amy has to admit she's never been, but David boasts about going many times (just as he boasted to Sarah the last time he saw her). But the kids freak out and race to tell Quentin.

Meanwhile, Mrs. J and Maggie are packing Vicki's clothes. Mrs. J holds up a green--and of course sleeveless--dress and says it was Vicki's favorite. Mrs. Johnson innocently asks Barnabas, What should I do with Vicki’s things? Poor Barnabas flinches at the sight of Vicki’s clothes. Get rid of them! Destroy them! he says, his voice harsh with loss. That would be a shame, protests Mrs. Johnson. Why don’t we give them away. Do whatever you want, replies the heartbroken Barnabas, but get rid of them! Then Mrs. Johnson unwittingly twists the knife when she gives him back Josette’s music box, which he had given Vicki. Take it away! he orders her. Get rid of that and everything! Just as you say, Mrs. Johnson replies. Maggie opens the music box, listens to a few bars, then closes it, apparently with no memory of its part in her imprisonment at Barnabas’s vampiric hands long ago. She and Mrs. Johnson exchange sympathetic glances, and they pack the music box away with Vicki's clothing. Mrs. Johnson takes the box away. Maggie goes over to Barnabas as he stares out the window. I’m sorry--about everything, she says quietly. Take care of the children, he tells her. She leaves. Free to give vent to the full force of his emotions, Barnabas looks inside the empty closet, then touches the bed. Gazing at his reflection in the mirror above the dresser, he mutters fiercely, Vicki! I've got to forget you! I've got to! (Great moments from JF!)

Amy plays London Bridge on the piano.

Maggie is about to move into Vicki's old room (previously Elizabeth's and long before her, Josette's). But when she opens the closet, she finds that all of Vicki's clothes have reappeared!

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 07:38:29 PM »
My original post was obliterated, so just sketchy comments for now.  I enjoyed how they were goofing with longtime viewers in this one, with Maggie opening the music box, getting a quizzical look for a moment, sort of shrugging (or so I imagined maybe) and putting it away.  Kids watching were yelling, oh NO! probably... Also the moment when Maggie's in the foyer, and her attention is drawn by London Bridge being played on the piano, and again, it's a little girl (Amy)!

Quentin's motive for having Mr. Jarrett come over is unclear.  I suppose in his general revenge streak, he wants Liz to die for real, in a regular escape-proof coffin, without any warning buzzers or anything.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 03:54:32 PM »
Quentin's motive for having Mr. Jarrett come over is unclear.  I suppose in his general revenge streak, he wants Liz to die for real, in a regular escape-proof coffin, without any warning buzzers or anything.

*shiver*

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 04:45:43 AM »
I always thought that it was Quentin's plan to have Elizabeth buried alive. I would think that they might hold onto Vickie's things in case she came back as she did before.  The music box was at the Old house just a few episodes ago when Julia tried to use it on Maggie. 
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 03:57:45 PM »
It was Angelique's plan for Elizabeth to be buried alive. Quentin is just taking advantage of it in whatever ways he can.