Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0654  (Read 690 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0654
« on: March 07, 2014, 05:48:05 PM »
Robservations #654

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0654

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 11:07:02 PM »
The continuation of the fight scene is very good, even though the werewolf is (as always in the Collins universe) much shorter than Chris. Joe manages to tear a scrap of fabric off the creature's shirt. Fortunately he has not been bitten, but he stabbed the creature.

Barnabas finds Joe amid the wreckage at the cottage and addresses him by his first name, no more "Haskell."

Julia's brown dress with the two gold scatter pins looks very nice. Maggie's strange robe, not so much.

Barn brings Joe back to Collinwood. By way of apology for trying to kill Barnabas, Joe says, When I was in the hospital, I was trying to solve the mystery of what was making me behave so oddly, to do the things I'd done. The past is over with, forgotten, Barnabas assures him by way of forgiving him.

The werewolf moans in pain as it returns to Chris’s awful little room at the top of the Collins Port Inn. [Presumably there’s a back way--surely someone would notice if he came in the front door.]

Barnabas goes off to make up a room for Joe--does Mrs. J still go home at night? Julia offers Joe painkillers, of course.

Chris awakens with what might be called a lycanthropic hangover. His shirt is torn and blood-stained. Furious with himself, he tosses the mangled bedclothes onto the bed. Then suddenly he remembers-- Joe! He phones the lobby and asks the hotel clerk to phone his cousin. What will I say if he answers? Chris wonders, then thinks to himself, But at least I'll know if he's all right. Finally he admits the full truth: No, I really want to know if Joe is ALIVE! The phone rings, but Joe doesn’t answer. Chris hangs up, his mind roiling with horrible uncertainty. Joe could be out, he thinks. Where? Find out! He looks in the mirror. One of his shirt pockets has been torn away. We get a fully topless quickie while he takes his shirt off (and even for those pre-workout days Don Briscoe was no trial to look at). He sees that his wound has mysteriously healed itself, but he finds this even more upsetting. He takes a clean shirt from the dresser drawer, puts it on, then leaves.

Julia takes Maggie to the cottage one last time. Maggie is horrified at the wreckage--but somehow it seems to set her free, marking the transition to her new life at Collinwood. We won't see the cottage again for a long, long time.

Joe lives on Dock Street, but he isn't home, so Chris goes to Collinwood. He glances at the newspaper--but the headline he feared isn't there. Maggie fills him in on how Joe was attacked--and refused to call the police. Chris takes Julia to task because the sleeping pills didn't work.

The episode reaches its inevitable, very sad conclusion: Joe tries the door to Chris’s room--it’s unlocked. He quickly finds Chris’s torn shirt on the dresser--and is shocked when the torn-off pocket proves to be a perfect match. Hello, Joe, says a grim voice behind him, and he whirls around to see Chris. Hello, Joe replies as he holds out the damning evidence. What does this mean, Chris? Chris is in no position to deny anything, but he orders Joe to leave, his anger masking his growing fear. No, Joe says sternly, not until you answer my question. Chris looks out the grimy little window and warns Joe, The moon is rising! I want an answer! Joe insists. You have to leave--now! Chris insists back. Joe still refuses. Do I have to throw you out? Chris asks him. Slamming the door, Joe retorts, Whatever happens, I’ll be in this room when it does. Chris reaches for Joe to throw him out bodily--but at that moment, the pains start coursing through him. It’s starting! It’s happening! Chris howls in despair. Get out! Get ou! I don’t want you to see this! Chris! Joe shouts, now alarmed for his cousin. I’m telling you for the last time, get out! Chris begs him. When Joe doesn’t even reply, much less move, Chris shouts in despair and anger, Then stay and watch! And after you see what happens, you’ll never be the same again! Don’t say I didn’t try to warn you to get out! Wracked with pain, Chris screams as he clutches himself. Let me get you a doctor! Joe exclaims, seeing that for whatever reason, Chris is in agony. It will pass, Chris replies bitterly--and I won’t even know what happened until the next time. Oh, Joe--surprised, aren’t you? he asks sarcastically. Always wondering why “old Cousin Chris” became so withdrawn? Why he left town and didn’t come back? I should have stayed away, he says, between gasps of pain. Oh, Joe, there’s no time--listen to me! The pentagram-- he starts, then gasps, There’s no time to explain, you know about it. With his last breath as a man, he orders Joe, Open the dresser drawer and take out what you find there--it’s loaded. Now Joe, when it happens, you're gonna do it, you'll know what to do, and you’ll do what I can't do myself during the day! Please say you'll do it for me, please! To Joe’s shock and horror, Chris transforms into the werewolf before his eyes. My god! Joe shouts. No! No! No! He fires the gun over and over. The werewolf staggers but recovers. The bullets have no more effect than insect stings as the creature charges Joe.…

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 01:50:48 AM »
Hey, this is the way to start an episode, with a surprise (for Joe) werewolf attack.  They break in the middle of the fight for the theme music...  Scissors fend off a werewolf, and don't need to be silver.

Maggie is all legs today, in a great psychedelic-ish dress.  Julia wonders why Liz has this odd obsession about everyone thinking she's dead... maybe it's because you mistakenly declared her dead not long ago, Doctor.  Barnabas brings Joe to Collinwood.  Nice of Barnabas to say to Joe that the past is forgotten... we find out Joe doesn't know why he did all the things he did.

Joe already suspects Chris, because of the scrap of clothing he pulled off the creature, and is protective of him, not wanting the police called.  Chris, it turns out, remembers attacking Joe.  He wouldn't be this anxious just from hearing about Joe's pentagram, I'd think, though he may have seen it himself, I forget.  Joe admirably confronts Chris at his room, but Joe shouldn't know that the transformation was about to take place before his eyes.  He shouldn't know about the timing with the Moon...  He's smart to have figured out so much, so fast, though.  Joe sees Chris change, shoots, end.

The anxieties and reactions of Joe and Chris are well handled.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 04:28:23 AM »
Maggie, the new orphaned governess, leaves her past behind her.  Sad to see the cottage go.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 03:55:47 PM »
It is sad, but[spoiler] it's not the last we'll ever see of the cottage.[/spoiler]

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 11:26:39 PM »
Ooh, Don Briscoe shirtless!  Be still, my beating heart! [snow_kiss]