Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0645  (Read 863 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0645
« on: February 22, 2014, 05:10:34 PM »
Robservations #645

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0645

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 05:13:39 AM »
Maybe it is Magda discouraging the kids, and maybe she can do that because she's not trapped in a room as Quentin is.   Did the skeleton just turn around on its own a la Psycho?   The kids are definitely under-reacting to the skeleton.  I mean, it's a body...

Our first glimpse of Barnabas after the Nick-Ang thing is over...   We're led up to the tense moment where David and Amy meet Quentin face to face, then we don't see the moment of possession, or whatever.  It may all have been telepathic.   Something big changes here... David far more than Amy, who was the only link to Quentin up till now.   Amy is still relatively normal, but David's been taken over.   The kids have gone from people we identify with, to being alien and "other", and it's weird having the transformation happen offscreeen.  More effective that way, I'm sure.   I still have no idea what "The Game" is, after all these viewings.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 09:11:18 PM »
We will see the moment of possession for each kid in the next episode.

I love the idea of Magda at large, roaming through the corridors while Quentin is stuck in the storage room.  [snow_cheesy]

I don't think David is completely taken over yet, but maybe Quentin can send him some kind of vibe despite being trapped.

I have always thought that the "Game" is Quentin's oh-so-seductive euphemism, custom tailored to be irresistibly appealing to the kids (especially David), for the mischief--and worse--that he wants the kids to perpetrate. [spoiler]I'm sure he used the same term with Jamison.[/spoiler] If he had called it, for example, [spoiler]"kill your father by fastening a tripwire on the Great Staircase"[/spoiler], even David might not have been so enthusiastic.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 09:20:05 PM »
That makes sense, DL.   [spoiler]I have little or no memory of how 1897 happened "the first time around", because we didn't see that version, and were only given hints.   Did newly-minted ghost
Quentin give instructions to a still-living Jamison like those he's giving to David now?  Were Q and Jamison ghost companions after his original death, haunting the rest of the family?[/spoiler]
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 09:31:22 PM »
[spoiler]I have little or no memory of how 1897 happened "the first time around", because we didn't see that version, and were only given hints.   Did newly-minted ghost Quentin give instructions to a still-living Jamison like those he's giving to David now?  Were Q and Jamison ghost companions after his original death, haunting the rest of the family?[/spoiler]

[spoiler]No and no. A long, long time from now, we'll see how Quentin became a ghost, but for many reasons, he never gets to give any instructions to the still-living Jamison. But I suspect that Jamison is beyond Quentin's reach, so he wants to recruit David to become his ghost companion, also for many reasons.[/spoiler]

Almost forgot: Welcome, skeleton with gray page-boy wig! And welcome, old gramophone with morning-glory “speaker”!

And welcome back, Barnabas! Elizabeth arrives at the Old House and knocks on Barnabas's door. Barnabas, in a royal blue robe, answers. Elizabeth explains that she's looking for the kids. I don’t think they can be here, Barnabas replies. I locked both doors before going to bed. (Presumably he can sleep in a real bed in a bedroom these days--perhaps the room he had as a young man long ago, or more likely his father’s room.) A locked door never kept David Collins out, Elizabeth points out wryly. And of course, she's right.

Best scene in this ep. is where David and Amy completely pull the wool over the eyes of all the adults. Absolutely masterful performances by the kids--and I mean DH and DN too!

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 10:39:56 PM »
Just wanted to add that the end of this episode (presumably aired on a Friday) is one of the scariest moments of the show. Imagine the fans' suspense over that weekend!

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 07:12:06 PM »
I always thought that the game was pretending to be Quentin and Beth. 
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times