Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0641  (Read 750 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0641
« on: February 18, 2014, 05:44:50 PM »
Robservations #641

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0641

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 05:58:36 PM »
At the same time the unfortunate barmaid screams her last, Amy wakes up screaming, and Vicki rushes in. Amy is sure something has happened to Chris. Elizabeth goes to phone the Inn, and Amy tells Vicki that she saw her brother in the dream and that he was crying.

Meanwhile, there's no answer in Chris's room. Vicki and Elizabeth reassure Amy, and pet her to comfort her. (This is really very sweet and touching. Poor Amy is starved for love.) Vicki kisses her good-night, and she decides to pray for her brother.

Later, while Vicki and Elizabeth are talking about Jeff's watch, the door to Vicki's room mysteriously opens. Vicki is sure it's Jeff. Suddenly, Amy rushes in, asking if she can stay with Vicki tonight. Of course Vicki says yes, but while she hugs Amy she watches the door close silently.

Vicki sends for Professor Stokes (off screen), and the next evening, Amy meets him. Amy giggles and tells Stokes, I think you’re funny. Gravely he takes his monocle off and says, I beg your pardon. I like you, Amy clarifies. Stokes remarks dryly, I’m pleased that my appeal extends to all ages now. Vicki explains that she senses Jeff's presence constantly.  Why did you send for me, Miss Winters? Stokes asks her. (He insists on calling her by her maiden name.) I'm not a wizard who transports people through time. I know that, Vicki replies. Is he here, listening to us? Stokes asks. If so, he'll give you a sign--a sign to forget this insanity. Is loving insane? Vicki asks. It has been known to be, the professor replies soberly. [After all, he did meet Angelique in the dream curse, so he has a pretty good idea just how insane love can be in the Collins universe.]

Stokes explains how he gave Jeff the herbs and says that Jeff wasn't called back to the past--he belongs there. Vicki wants to try the herbs herself, but Stokes insists it's too dangerous, even when Vicki says she'll write down that she forced him to do it. He asks if she feels Jeff's presence now. Vicki doesn’t answer him directly but calls out to Jeff to help her. I know you want me with you, she tells him. If you’re here, please tell Professor Stokes to help me. Make him help me! Stokes touches her shoulder and tells her sadly, Jeff apparently feels your place is here, your time is now--and I agree, he adds. The only way you can join Jeff is to die. Vicki ponders his words.

Meanwhile, Elizabeth tucks Amy into bed and gives her a good-night kiss. After she leaves, After Elizabeth leaves, Amy lies in bed, thinking or perhaps listening or both. Thinking Quentin is calling her, she gets out of bed and picks up the phone. (She seems never to stay in bed for for five seconds together.) Hearing nothing, she hangs up and opens the casement windows. As she leans out, she hears the widows wailing. You're crying, she says to them. Why? Who are you? She gazes around, trying to find the source of the sound.

Stokes insists that Vicki give Jeff up, even grabbing her by the shoulders. Desperate, she breaks away and runs out of the room. Meanwhile, Amy tries to get the widows to explain themselves.

Downstairs, Vicki grabs her lime-green coat and practically snaps at Stokes and Elizabeth as she races out the door. I’m going after her, Elizabeth declares as she gets her own coat. Has Miss Winters ever spoken that way to you before? Never, Elizabeth replies. Then think of why she did now, Stokes advises her. Following her can only cause trouble between the two of you, at a time she needs a friend. Elizabeth reminds him about the animal she saw and last night's murder of the barmaid at the Blue Whale. Amy comes downstairs in her robe. Did you hear them crying--the widows? she asks. Elizabeth starts with alarm but does her best to hide it from the little girl. I heard them outside my window, Amy tells her. Who are they? As Elizabeth opens the front door, Stokes asks her, What does it mean? No doubt remembering her own suicide attempt when Jason McGuire so nearly succeeded in forcing her to marry him, she explains quietly, When you can hear the widows on a stormy night, someone will die. Stokes looks at her in shock.

Vicki has run all the way to Widows' Hill. Now she stares down at the churning waves below. As she steps onto a rock, she remembers Stokes's words: The only way you can join him is to die...to die...to die.... The wind blows her hair as the words echo in her mind. She sways unsteadily on the very brink of the cliff.……..

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 06:11:11 AM »
Joan Bennett VO, nice to hear.   I'm always grateful when she helps ground the show by committing to the drama and putting something real into it, despite how I imagine she might feel, in the middle of a whirlwind of anything-goes supernatural mayhem.   

Denise cries well.   There's real desperation in it.   I hope no one on the show provoked that intentionally, to get that acting out of her.   Directors etc. have been known to do that.   It was actually affecting, hearing Amy tell us that somewhere, Chris is crying.   After just having changed back, and realizing what he'd done, presumably.  I was on the verge of a tear-up myself for a moment.   See, this is what's great about a good werewolf story-- not the monster itself, which is just a hairy guy spazzing out uncontrollably.   The real story is in the dilemma of the man with the curse, the rest of the time.

Stokes advising Vicki, again in her bedroom, where Vicki seems to live now...  When he tells her the only way she can join Jeff is to die, my parody mind imagined Vicki immediately, not a nanosecond of hesitation, (maybe saying "Oh?  Okay.") running and leaping through the bedroom window, broken glass flying everywhere, maybe crying out "It's all for you, Jeff!!!"

More seriously, Stokes actually has planted dangerous thoughts in Vicki's mind.   It's confusing, Jeff has been pulled back to 1795, or is he still around haunting Vicki?   Where does Vicki need to go to join him?   One moment it's the past, next it's dying in the present.   The mood is well created, with Amy hearing and speaking with the Widows, and the look on Liz's face when Amy mentions this.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 06:22:34 AM »
I wonder if Liz's look/shock is a hint that Amy's a Collins, her being able to hear and name the widows?

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 08:02:23 AM »
Hmm... maybe...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 06:44:27 PM »
Interesting, MT. I thought anybody could hear the widows, but I could be wrong. Amy knows that it's them, but if the place is called Widows Hill, wouldn't the whole town know about them too? Does she actually name them? My old notes don't go into that.

In these early days at least, the attention to Chris's remorse must be based on the famous old movie of the Wolfman story, starring Lon Chaney, Jr., who took great pains to show us that the WW is a human being and suffers very human pain.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 06:23:07 PM »
I really like how Amy is drawn into the supernatural of Collinwood and doesn't seem to think it is all that out of the ordinary
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times