Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0640  (Read 725 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0640
« on: February 15, 2014, 05:50:29 PM »
Robservations #640

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0640

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 01:09:55 AM »
Amy waits in the storage room in the deserted West Wing, but when the door finally creaks open, it's--David, who heard her walk past his door. Amy accuses him of being scared, but David says no one is allowed in the West Wing--ever. To prove he's not afraid, he picks up the phone but gets no response. He's jealous because Quentin has spoken only to Amy--after all, Quentin is HIS ancestor. He suggests they have a (all together now) séance to get Quentin to speak. I've seen the adults call people from the dead a lot, he says expansively, and he knows exactly what to do. The kids light a candle, sit at a table with the phone, call to Quentin.

Nothing happens, but once again the door creaks open to reveal--Vicki, silhouetted in the light. What are you doing here? she asks David. We were just playing a game, he explains. Vicki introduces herself to Amy. For the first time she styles herself Vicki Clark, David's governess. She sends David back to his room and talks to Sarah for a while. Did you know Chris? Amy asks. Yes, Vicki replies sadly, almost certainly remembering not the cheerful handyman but the feral vampire. Vicki promises to get Chris to see Sarah first thing in the morning. But As Amy lies awake thinking of Chris, he is lying unconscious on the floor of his attic room at the Collins Port Inn. The floor is tracked with muddy prints from his bare feet.

The next morning, Chris arrives at Collinwood, where he and Carolyn greet each other as old friends. She too introduces Vicki as Vicki Clark. Amy wants to live with Chris, but he wants to put her in a home. [Maybe the self-employed Tom worked only while Amy was at school.] Carolyn is outraged at this idea and vows to speak to her mother about letting Amy stay at Collinwood--but she does seem interested in Chris. David comforts Amy and hopes she can stay so they can have another séance.

In the evening--the third night of the full moon--the waitress clears a table just as Chris and Carolyn enter the Blue Whale. (It gets dark early in Collinsport, but the clock on the wall reads 1:00!) The waitress comes to take their order. Carolyn orders a daiquiri and Chris a shot of Irish whiskey. (Well, it was 1968!) Carolyn tries to talk Chris into settling down but without success, although Carolyn hopes that will change. Chris smiles faintly and they clink glasses. But Chris keeps glancing at his watch. 

When the waitress brings the check, Chris glances up at her--and sees a five-pointed red star superimposed over her face. Noticing his shocked expression, she asks if something is wrong. His eyes full of terror, Chris tells Carolyn hastily, I'll call you tomorrow. He pushes some money at the waitress, then rushes from the table and out the door. The waitress checks her face in a mirror. The clock on the bar wall says 1:00 [but a full moon would rise much earlier in the evening, wouldn't it?]

Once back in his attic room at the hotel, Chris nervously checks his reflection in the mirror, even touching his face as if he mistrusts what he sees. He looks out the window for a moment, then turns away. He takes a out a leg iron with a chain attached, clamps it around one ankle, and wraps the chain around the radiator. Then he bolts himself to the radiator with a padlock. He sits on the floor, leaning back against the radiator and looking almost sick with dread. Inevitably his ordinary, pleasant face is horribly transformed. [Welcome, Alex Stevens! The werewolf appears to be much shorter and slighter than Chris!] The creature pulls at the chain to free itself.

We get our first real action scene! The clock at the Blue Whale still reads 1:00 as the waitress prepares to lock up. She hears a knock at the door. We’re closed, she calls out without turning around. She begins to turn of the lights and set the chairs upside down on the tables. She hears something growling, and we can see the werewolf looking through the window. But she is utterly unprepared for the creature that crashes through the window, snarling as it rushes at her. The air fills with her horrified, ineffectual screams.….

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 06:14:36 AM »
One weird DS habit is that people already being contacted by a ghost will somehow want to contact them through a seance too.  In this case, I guess David wants to know if Amy's making it up, since Q won't talk to him.   Is the seance supposed to coerce Quentin into talking to David?  Because I'd think Quentin is just as likely to ignore David in a seance as by phone....  I really think there should be more to the seance process than a lighted candle and off-the-cuff unscripted entreaties to appear.   Did they even link hands?  I don't remember.  We buy it because the music sells it.   Actually it's amazing what spells etc. DS could sell us just with someone looking at a lit candle!

Chris arrives at Collinwood for Amy,  after greeting him, Carolyn primps in the mirror, giving us an indication of their history.   So they go to the Blue Whale later.   Chris sees pentagram on new waitress's face, which we aren't meant to understand yet, but we can guess.  A genuinely creepy moment, in a show that has only had camp creepiness for quite awhile.   

Chris's stay at the Collinsport Inn has apparently been unaffected and uninterrupted by his killing of the proprietor.   Did Chris hide the body, so that no one knows yet?   Does Chris himself even know it happened?   If not, the werewolf must have hidden the body in a good spot, which seems a little beyond a werewolf's mental agility...

Welcome and farewell, Carol Ann Lewis as Waitress.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 04:25:18 PM »
Actually it's amazing what spells etc. DS could sell us just with someone looking at a lit candle!

Absolutely!

A genuinely creepy moment, in a show that has only had camp creepiness for quite awhile.

Yes again. Welcome pentagram, I guess.

Chris's stay at the Collinsport Inn has apparently been unaffected and uninterrupted by his killing of the proprietor.

I've always wondered about that. The WW doesn't seem smart enough to hide the body, although you could be right in thinking that Chris hid it. No one ever seems to miss the poor fellow.

Welcome and farewell, Carol Ann Lewis as Waitress.

Yep.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 06:18:23 PM »
I remember thinking the first time that I watched that Carolyn and Chris made a nice couple.  Nobody misses Mr. wells. It almost as if they rewrote scripts and forgot continuity more than usual.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times