Author Topic: #1167/1168: Robservations 11/14/03: An Amazing Revelation For Gerard  (Read 1276 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
1167 - Daphne picks up the wedding dress, wondering, where have I seen it before--why can't I remember? she bleats--what's happening to me?--why did I come here?  Carrie enters and chirpily asks, are you exploring, too?--I love this house so, it's so full of surprises.  Isn't it? asks Daphne doubtfully.  This room looks as if it's waiting for someone to come in and just start living, says Carrie.  Yes, agrees Daphne, insincerely.  Carrie admires the dress on the bed--is it yours? Daphne?  No! barks Daphne.  It's a wedding dress, says Carrie, picking it up.  I know, says Daphne.  It's new, whose could it be? asks Carrie.  I don't know, says Daphne.  It looks like the kind of wedding dress I want to be married in, says Carrie, holding it against herself.  Put it down--now! shouts Daphne.  Carrie complies--Daphne, you're angry, she notes.  Daphne denies it.  Yes you are, says Carrie, I'm sorry.  Don't apologize, says Daphne.  Whose could it be? wonders Carrie--it's a real mystery, and I adore mysteries!  Don't start romanticizing, says Daphne, the dress isn't new, it's probably been here for years.  But it's in style! insists Carrie. Talking about it isn't going to explain it, insists Daphne, let's go back to the other room.  There's a secret in this room, I can feel it, says Carrie, it isn't just an unused room--something important is going to happen here.  I used to be just like you, says Daphne--making stories out of anything even the slightest bit unusual.  Why did you stop? asks Carrie.  I don't know, replies Daphne, I grew older, that's all, and learned nothing really is as we imagine it, that other people have plans for us that we don't even know about, but plans that effect us.  Carrie looks sad.  Come on, says Daphne, we've been here long enough.  The ladies exit the room.  Gerard comes out from a hiding place, stands there in the dark, picks up the dress and smiles at it gleefully.

Collinwood drawing room - Gerard, says Trask, that every day Quentin's trial continues, fear mounts in the village--everyone knows Quentin will soon grow desperate, and they are afraid of the consequences--his powers as a warlock are great, and he will soon be forced to use them--I tell you the trial must be brought to a faster conclusion.  There's nothing I can do about that, says Gerard.  Speak to your friend Dawson, advises Trask, tell him to put me on the stand.  I'm afraid I have little influence over Dawson, says Gerard.  Nonsense, says Trask, I wouldn't be surprised if you used your influence as master of Collinwood to get him appointed prosecutor.  I'm sorry to disappoint you, says Gerard, but I had nothing to do with that.  However he was appointed, he was a good choice, says Trask, but he must be more driving, we must guard his left flank while he charges onward--this is a battle, Armageddon itself!--surely you will agree to that.  You made it into an Armageddon, says Gerard distastefully, yes.  There is one who should be on the witness stand with Quentin, awaiting the judgment of the tribunal, says Trask, eyes gleaming--awaiting the flash of the executioner's ax.  Barnabas Collins, grins Gerard.  Will you join me out in the open about him? asks Trask eagerly, will you join me in seeing he gets the punishment he deserves?--seeing that Barnabas Collins is beheaded, too?  Gerard smiles with pleasure at the thought.

There is only one reason why Barnabas Collins isn't in the prisoner's dock, says Gerard, pouring a drink, we have no case against him.  But he and Quentin are cohorts in this, says Trask, I know it--Barnabas knows more about Roxanne's death than he's admitted--he held some strange power over her.  Gerard rolls the glass between his hands, suggesting it could be your imagination--you were in love with her.  Yes, says Trask, when I think of my beloved, and she was as they made her--a vampire.  We have no proof of that, says Gerard.  I can prove it, insists Trask, she attacked me, I told you that before, and if that's not sufficient, there's Julia Collins--she could be called and forced to testify about the attacks upon her.  You would do that--expose Roxanne? asks Gerard--let everyone know?  Yes, says Trask, I would sacrifice her good name so the evil could be recognized and dealt with.  There's one thing you've overlooked, says Gerard--in order to be a vampire, one has to be bitten by one, and as we know, Quentin is not a vampire...  He sips his drink.  Could Barnabas be? asks Trask.  He certainly has been acting strange lately, agrees Gerard.  We must find out, says Trask.  Yes, but carefully, says Gerard, it's extremely dangerous if there is a vampire in our midst.  I will proceed with caution, agrees Trask--I will curb my impatience to see this to its end--what is our first step?  Flora, says Gerard, she was inspired by Roxanne to write a book about vampirism and has dug long and hard into the old records--yes, tomorrow we shall go visit Flora--but there must not be one word about Barnabas--no one must suspect.  I will meet you at Flora's around three, agrees Trask, if that is satisfactory--you've helped me more than you know, for the first time (he looks heavenward) I shall live to see peace about my Roxanne. He leaves.  Gerard sets down his glass.  Daphne enters.  Excuse me, she says.  Don't go, urges Gerard.  I find it very difficult to stay in the same room with you, she says.  NOW what have I done? demands Gerard.  Your friend, Dawson, says Daphne--if you could have heard him in that courtroom today--he really hates Quentin.  Dawson is merely the county prosecutor, says Gerard, he takes his job seriously and wants to win the case--it was my mistake to bring him here.  Are you admitting it was a mistake? she asks, surprised.  Of course I am, replies Gerard--I asked him not to accept the case, pleaded with him, if you will believe that, but he refused, and now Dawson is no longer my friend, and I will tell him that when I see him tomorrow.  Then I'm very sorry about what I just said, admits Daphne.  Why are you so determined to be alone and suffer? he asks--why didn't you tell me you and Samantha had seen the ghost of Joanna Mills?--yes, I heard about it, and about Samantha's testimony in court.  I didn't see her, says Daphne, only Samantha did.  But you must have been frightened, he says, why didn't you come to me?--how long is it going to be before you trust me?
I can't answer that, she insists.  How long? he asks, before I can show myself to you, for Quentin's sake--it would ease his mind to know you were in good hands (ha!), that I love you very much--you know that now, don't you, my dear?  He caresses her face; she places her hand on his chest.  My poor, poor Daphne, he says, so confused you are, but someday you will find out how much you like me--how much you love me.  She turns away from him and says, "If Quentin knew you said that..." But you won't tell him, says Gerard.  Because I don't want to upset him more than he already is, she says.  Come now, that's not the reason, chides Gerard, that's not the real reason at all--it's only because you believe every word I say--that we will love each other someday very strongly--yes, we will--and all the fear you feel against me will slowly dissipate--now I know, I can tell--he pulls her into his arms for a kiss, which she at first resists, then returns, with gusto.

Rose Cottage - A smiling Jeremy Grimes finishes writing something down in a notebook, then hands it to Flora, who exults in having found him--I've needed an accountant for years, and this is the very first time I've ever understood how much I realized in royalties from LOVE'S FIRST SUMMER--oh but your father isn't going to like you working for me, even part time.  Then he must never know, insists Jeremy.  It's hard to believe Mordecai Grimes is your father, says Flora, you're nothing like him, I'm glad to say
--I'm sorry, but I always speak frankly--you don't believe in this witchcraft trial, do you?  I can give you a list of things I don't believe in, says Jeremy, witchcraft is first.  You need say no more, she says, patting his face with approval--you're always welcome here.  Thank you, he says--I'm grateful to you, then, more hesitantly --do you think Carrie Stokes is old enough to be courted?  Certainly, says Flora, I was married when I was only two years older, but you should ask her sponsor first.  Who is her sponsor? he asks.  Quentin, of course, says Flora.  I can hardly ask him, he'd throw me from the jail, insists Jeremy--Mordecai's son!  Try Gerard Stiles, she advises.  The new master of Collinwood, says Jeremy.  You've never met him? asks Flora.  Jeremy shakes his head.  You might get along very well, opines Flora.  Tell me--don't you have an errand you'd like me to do for you now? hints Jeremy.  No, she says.  Well, surely you have something to go to Collinwood--something terribly important.  Catching his drift, Flora smiles--as a matter of fact, she says, I have, of course!--those books!--she goes into the foyer and hands him some books--how could I have forgotten? she trills, handing him the books--go--and good luck with Carrie.  Jeremy thanks her--if I weren't so determined to court Carrie, I'd come courting you.  She smiles indulgently after he leaves.

Later, Flora, Trask and Gerard are talking in the Rose Cottage drawing room.  Flora, says Gerard, I'm fascinated by your new book about vampirism--you've learned so much about it since last we talked.  Fascinating is hardly a word for such an evil being, remarks Trask--Flora, have you found anything in your research that might give us evidence to discover the truth about Roxanne?  Actually, I have, says Flora, at least I think so--there was a vampire in Collinsport in 1797.  What? asks Gerard.  They didn't realize it, explains Flora, but I'm convinced of it--I've gotten the papers of that year, and those attacks are exactly like those suffered by you and poor Julia--began in the winter of 1796 and continued for six months (incorrect as I recall; the entire storyline was only four month).  That was during the time my father was here, investigating witchcraft at Collinwood, says Trask.  Flora rises from her chair and curtly says, I refuse to discuss witchcraft with you--in fact, I'm surprised you even dared come to this house, knowing how I feel about Quentin.  We are united in the common cause to find out who the vampire is, says Gerard.  And that's ALL we're united in, says Flora, I want that clearly understood.  Dear Flora, says Gerard, who lived here in Collinwood in 1796?  Flora thinks it over--let's see, she says--Daniel was a child, Ben Stokes, of course--and Barnabas' father lived at the Old House until he went to England--that same year, I believe.  The men pass an "ah-ha!" smile between them.  The year your father disappeared, Flora tells Trask, he told the newspapers that the following day, he was going to have an important announcement to make about the attacks.  Yes, that was the reason he was never heard from again, says Trask--he was killed before he could reveal what he found.  Isn't it a shame, says Flora--if Daniel were alive, I'm sure he could help.  Or Ben Stokes, suggests Gerard--he was Barnabas Collins' servant, was he not?  Yes, he was, says Flora.  Then it is a shame, he could have helped us a great deal, says Gerard.

Carrie walks downstairs at Collinwood.  In the foyer, someone comes up behind her and puts his hands over her eyes.  She turns, frightened.  Jeremy, what are you doing here? she asks.  I've come to tell you I've murdered my father, he says--he gets down on his knees in a begging stance--please come to help me before the constables come!  You're crazy, she teases, but your father will kill you if he finds out.
Jeremy rises to his feet--my father has so much to find out--that I'm here, and working for Flora.  You're working for Flora?--doing what? asks Carrie.  I'm doing her accounts in my spare time, he says, so I'll have enough money to leave.  Leave?--where would you go? she asks, upset.  They hear Trask's voice, saying, the original Barnabas Collins left for England in 1797.  Carrie turns to Jeremy--it's Lamar Trask, she warns--he'll tell your father--please hide!  He hides behind the draperies.  Trask goes on, saying, I haven't been able to find any evidence that the English branch of the Collins family ever existed.  The men enter the drawing room and greet Carrie.  We were just talking about your grandfather, says Gerard, he had some belongings that we don't know where they are--after his death we couldn't find them.  Everything is in his room, why? asks Carrie with an anxious look behind her at the draperies.  A book, says Gerard--Carrie, is something wrong?  Not at all, she says hastily.  Are you sure? asks Gerard.  Yes, she stutters, it just upsets me to talk about my grandfather--I'm sure any book you might want would be in his room. The men thank her and leave.  Carrie runs to Jeremy--I'd better leave, he says.  Be careful, she warns him, they're just going upstairs--you said when you had the money, you would leave--where would you go?  Meet me, tonight, he says, at the brook where the fence crosses it--after supper--and I'll tell you!  She shakes her head--I can't, she says.  If you wanted to, you would, he says--you'd better find out where I'm going when I get the money, because I might take you with me.  Oh, Jeremy, she wails.  He puts his hands on her shoulders--I'll be there, waiting, he promises--meet me, please.  After he goes, she says, aloud, determinedly, "I think I will." (Kind of like the little train.)

6:15 - Foyer - Gerard and Trask have found Ben's journal.  It's hard to believe Ben Stokes would write a diary, remarks Gerard.  Trask, flipping through some of the pages, says it's more of a journal, written after the fact--it's incredible, isn't it, that Ben Stokes could neither read nor write until Barnabas Collins taught him?  Gerard surveys the portrait of Barnabas hanging on the wall.  It's also incredible how Barnabas' father looks a lot like him, comments Gerard--they could be the same man.  Indeed, perhaps they are the same man, says Trask--if Barnabas is a vampire, he would live forever and never change.  But that journal doesn't indicate one iota that he was a vampire, says Gerard.  Yes, but it was written by Ben Stokes, his devoted servant, says Trask, he would never say anything against him--but listen to this--"It was during the witchcraft trial, the day I testified that Victoria Winters was not a witch, the day the witch herself appeared in court that the Rev. Trask made his last trip to the Old House--he made the mistake of finding the secret in the basement."  The basement of the Old House, says Trask, that's where I was the day Randall destroyed Roxanne--Barnabas had locked me in there because he said I was under her power--as I waited for someone to release me, I heard the sounds of rattling chains coming from behind a brick wall.  What did you find? asks Gerard.  Nothing, says Trask, nothing at all, it was just a brick wall--but now I'm convinced that it was my father's spirit behind that wall--my father's spirit trying to reach me!  We must go to the basement, decides Gerard.  They leave the house.

Old House basement - It was here, I swear it, says Trask, where I heard the chains.  Ben's journal lies open on a table; there is a pile of dusty bricks and the sound of clinking as Gerard removes the bricks, one by one.  You should have stayed upstairs in case someone comes back, says Gerard.  He lays down another brick.  We see a skeleton in the now-open alcove, covered with cobwebs
"At last I have found my father's burial place!" cries Trask--"The horror of it that he should have died like this!"  Yes, agrees Gerard, if only we could be sure it is him.  He pulls away some of the cobwebs and searches a pocket, finding a yellowed note.  So it's true! exclaims Trask, Barnabas Collins killed my father!
Gerard hands him the note.  "I only pray that it is God's will that this note tells me why," says Trask.  He opens it...

NOTES:  I don't recall what that note says, but it can't be good for Barnabas.  Something tells me he's in deep doodoo now.  Everything is coming together against him.

Carrie and Jeremy make a golly-gosh-darn-cute couple, but don't get too attached to them, that's all I'm going to say.

Gerard continues to work his I insidious spell over Daphne, working on her sympathy and her loins.  The confused girl doesn't know whether to slap or kiss him.  Bet the latter is more fun.

1168 - Trask reads the note.  What does it say? asks Gerard--did Barnabas do this?  Listen, says Lamar, reading, "My dear Reverend Trask--if you want to know who is responsible for all the recent attacks and the death of Abigail Collins, go to the cellar of the Old House, but only after dusk--do not let Ben Stokes stop you from seeing the master of the house, for he will be there, and unless you go, he will live forever, signed, A."  Trask hands the letter back to Gerard and says, the master of the house could only be Barnabas Collins.  Yes, agrees Gerard, but I thought he left for England around this time.  He was supposed to have left for England, yes, says Trask.  And this Abigail Collins, who was she? asks Gerard.  His aunt, says Trask, and apparently, another of his victims--she was supporting my father in his efforts to rid the countryside of witches, which were running rampant at the time--it was she who instigated the trial of Victoria Winters--Barnabas must have murdered her just as he did my father--God rest his soul.  Gerard reads from the letter, "Do not let Ben Stokes stop you from going to the master of the house"--yes, of course, Ben worshipped Barnabas and would do everything to protect him, even though he knew that Barnabas was responsible for those attacks.  Yes, there never was a more devoted servant, says Trask.  But there's something much more important, says Gerard--the letter A, if we only knew what that meant.  A, ponders Trask, and asks to see the date on the letter.  He compares it to the Ben's journal, noting, the date on the note is the same day as the diary entry that Ben tells of the appearance of the witch in court--the witch--A--Angelique?--she was Barnabas' mother--or better still, what if Angelique and the witch are one and the same?--then Angelique wouldn't be Barnabas' mother, but his wife!  Gerard continues--but if she were his wife, why would she betray him to your father?  That doesn't matter, says Trask, Barnabas Collins is a vampire, married to a witch--it's so clear to me now!  I'm not so sure it's clear, says Gerard.  Well I am, insists Trask, Barnabas is a vampire--have you ever seen him during the light of day--no, he didn't even come to Roxanne's funeral, his beloved Roxanne--and Daniel--was he there at his funeral?--no, he also said he went to England in 1797--no, my friend, we have all the evidence we need--Barnabas Collins is a vampire--my father's death will be avenged--IN THE NAME OF GOD MY FATHER'S DEATH WILL BE AVENGED!  Gerard grins--you must be right, he says--but now, it must be getting dark, and it's time to plan what we will be doing--let's go.  They start to leave.  We must conceal the exposed bones of Trask, says Gerard--no one must ever find out we have discovered this.  They push an armoire over the yawning alcove.

Barnabas rises from his coffin behind the secret panel.

Gerard and Trask finish moving the armoire over the exposed alcove and are about to go up when they hear Barnabas and Julia talking upstairs.  Then there is hope, asks Barnabas.  Yes, says Julia, it's going to be a long, grueling trial, but there IS hope--oh there must be!  Trapped, Trask and Gerard stand there.

Quentin has a long way to go, I'm afraid, says Julia's voice, drifting down to the two men--oh but Desmond has successfully stopped the execution at every turn so far, so it isn't as black as it could be.   And what about Collinwood? asks Barnabas, how is everything there now that Gerard is in charge?  He's managed to keep everything going very smoothly, she says--maybe we've misjudged him--maybe he won't become what we expect him to be--or maybe there's some overall plan we're not aware of, something we haven't anticipated--I've never wished to be wrong about anything before, but oh how I long to be wrong about Gerard.  Let's hope we are, says Barn.  Gerard listens closely, his face twisted in a grimace.  I'm going to see Quentin before it's too late, says Barn, do you want to come along?  No, she says, but I'll go with you as far as Collinwood.  They go.  Downstairs, Trask asks Gerard, what do Julia and Barnabas suspect you of--what is it?  I have no idea what they meant, says Gerard.  I'm wondering what it is myself, says Trask.  I know you are, says Gerard, but we can't be concerned with that now--we must leave here--tomorrow, by light of day, we'll have enough proof against Barnabas Collins!  They leave.

Carrie comes downstairs at Collinwood bearing a large box.  Gerard returns.  I've been wanting to talk to you, she says sternly.  Hurry, he insists, I'm in a big hurry.  Did you and Mr. Trask take Grandfather's diary? she asks accusingly.  We merely borrowed it, he says, we'll have it back soon enough.  I wish you had asked, says Carrie--why did you take it?  Because I wanted to, he says--I'm very sorry, I meant to ask you, but couldn't find you, and there wasn't much time--I merely borrowed it--I didn't think you'd mind.  You must have wanted it very badly, she says.  Not really, it was merely a convenience, that's all, he says.  For Mr. Trask, too, says Carrie--he seems just as interested in it as you are--why did you borrow it?--what is in my grandfather's diary that is so important to YOU?--and to Mr. Trask?  He doesn't reply.  You're my friend, she reminds him--won't you tell me?

It was quite innocent, says Gerard--I gave it to Flora, she's writing a book, I thought it would help her.  A diary is something personal, she says, my grandfather would be so upset about this!--may I have it back now?  I will get it back for you tomorrow morning, he says.  No, I want it now, she insists.  I don't have it, he says.  Does Flora? asks Carrie.  Yes, he says.  Then I'm sure she'll understand, says Carrie--I'll go for it myself.  You will go no where! he shouts, it's late and getting dark.  I owe it to my grandfather, insists Carrie, he didn't want anyone to read that book.  We've already read it, says Gerard cruelly--now stop acting like a little precocious child!--I already told you once and will tell you again--I will get it when it's convenient--now stop talking about it!
Gerard! she wails, wounded--what's happened to you?--you never screamed at me that way before!  He gazes at her meanly.  What's happening to you? she asks.  He calms down and apologizes--so much has been happening lately, he says--being the master of Collinwood and all, I'm terribly sorry.  That's not what I mean exactly, she says--I can understand the changes after the will was read, but not before--it's the ones before I don't understand.  They don't exist at all, he assures her, it is only your beautiful, beautiful little imagination--it's playing games on you--I would like to stay and talk with you, but you must excuse me please, I'm sorry--good night.  She bids him good night and sadly thinks to herself, I want Gerard to be as he was before--I liked him so much then!

10:20 - Collinwood - Julia returns and finds Carrie, depressed, sitting in the drawing room.  What are you doing sitting there all alone? asks Julia.  I was just thinking, answers Carrie.  You shouldn't have such sad thoughts, says Julia lightly.  They're not sad, really, says Carrie.  Carrie, my dear, says Julia, when a woman has sad thoughts, she shows it--and when another woman sees her, she knows it--I hadn't meant to make that little bit of insight rhyme, but it's true--can I help?  It's not very serious, says Carrie--Daphne says I have a way of romanticizing everything, and I guess that's what I'm doing now.  Carrie smiles wanly.  That looks better than that somber look, teases Julia.  Gerard used to have a smile like that, laments Carrie, such a beautiful smile!  Is it Gerard? asks Julia.  Yes, says Carrie, what's happening to him, Julia, do you know?  Is something is happening to him? asks Julia.  Yes, she says, I'm not sure if you know what I mean, I'm not sure I do, either, but he's different--he shouted at me today, called me a precocious child--he never shouted at me before.  Is it possible you could have provoked him? asks Julia.  Yes, says Carrie, I think I did, but still he shouted at me--and I think I had the right to ask him to bring back something that belonged to me--he took it without asking me--people shouldn't do that, should they?  Not ordinarily, says Julia, unless it's very important--could it have been very important?  No, he didn't have any reason, she says--he said he was taking it to Flora, but he said he looked for me and couldn't find me--and I was here all the time--I don't understand why he's doing that.  What did Gerard take? asks Julia  My grandfather's diary, reveals Carrie--he and Mr. Trask were talking about it to me and then without my knowledge they took it--they said they were going to ask me, but they just took it--what's happening?--I want to be happy again!
Julia's eyes go wide--you will be happy again, she assures the young woman--but I've got to go.  You just got here! protests Carrie.  Yes, says Julia, but there's something I just remembered--oh, Carrie, you will be happy again, believe me--goodbye.  Carrie looks sad again.

Barnabas paces the Old House living room a few moments and asks Julia, why they would want to see that diary--they must be onto something--but what?--and just how incriminating can that diary be?  I don't know, she replies, but when you knew Flora was devoting so much of her time to vampirism in her book, you should have known.  Not necessarily, says Barn, Ben knew the truth about me, but nobody else suspected it, so how would they know to look for it?  I don't know, she says.  But they did look for it, says Barn--whatever they know, I'm afraid it's a good deal more than we care to imagine.  What can they find? asks Julia--things about the trial, and Angelique, and you.  They will think Barnabas was my father, says Barnabas.  Yes of course, says Julia, we hope they will--what else?--she gasps--I just had a terrifying thought--the secret room--Ben knew about it--do you think he might have mentioned it in his diary?  No, says Barnabas, I'm certain Ben wouldn't.  You're positive, says Julia, disturbed--if they find the room...  I knew Ben well, interrupts Barnabas, he loved me--he would never reveal my hiding place, I know that.
I hope you're right, says Julia, because if he did... but she doesn't dare finish the sentence.

I assure you, Ben wouldn't reveal my secret, Barnabas assures Julia--no part of it.  I want to believe that, she says, I do believe it, but suppose there's some innocent something that will give them a clue to what's going on?--please go away--there's no point in waiting here to see what they might find out--go away, Barnabas!  I'm not going away and you know it, he says.  Why not? she demands.  Because we came here to accomplish something, he reminds her--we mustn't run away until we make it happen--if we can.  I won't be running away, she says, I'll stay here until all this passes--oh, Barnabas, PLEASE go!  I will never leave you behind, he says, you know that--and you know you won't come with me, so we will both stay.  "All right, Barnabas," she says, beaten, "WE will stay--and I'll help you--help you do what?--what will we do?"  I just don't know, he admits.

6:05 - Trask sneaks into Collinwood and enters the drawing room, where Gerard awaits him.  Where is everyone? asks Trask.  They've gone to bed--it's late, says Gerard (6 AM?)  Good, says Trask, then we won't be disturbed--he withdraws a gun from his coat--I brought the pistol, the bullets are in it.  Silver? verifies Gerard.  Of course, says Trask.  Good, says Gerard.  Trask hands him the pistol.  Why are you giving this to me? asks Gerard--it won't be used until tomorrow morning--and I thought you were so intent on using it yourself.  I was just informed that I must appear in court tomorrow, says Trask--you're going to have to do it--it must be the will of God
--in my whole life, my one great ambition was to avenge my father's death--but if I can best serve our maker by testifying against Quentin, then I will do so.  There's only one thing we've overlooked, Gerard reminds him--we can't find Barnabas or his coffin.  I know, says Trask, but it can't be in the Old House, we searched it top to bottom.  Has it ever occurred to you there might be a secret room in the Old House? queries Gerard   I've thought of that, says Trask, but we can't find it--there's no mention of it in the diary.  I know, says Gerard, but I have found the secret room!--although I haven't been there yet--it occurred to me while searching for Barnabas that if there is a secret room, the one way to find it is look at the architect's drawings--well, I found those drawings, and tomorrow morning, we will find Barnabas Collins behind the bookcase of the drawing room of the Old House.

Old House, next day  - Julia sits in a chair in the drawing room.  She rises to answer the door and is so horrified at seeing Gerard, she cries out his name and attempts to close the doors in his face.  That's some answer, he says--did I frighten you?  I just didn't expect you, she says--what do you want?  He pushes open the door, rushes past Julia, and insists, I'll come in and look.  How dare you? she asks, closing the doors.  He points a pistol at her.  Why? she asks.  Don't be so innocent, he says, all pretense gone.  What are you talking about? she demands.  "You know what I'm going to do," he says, "and I advise you to leave this house because it won't be too pleasant!"  I don't know what you're talking about, she says.  You can play your silly little game, he says, but don't try and stop me from what I'm going to do!  He races to the bookcase.  Julia, on his heels, asks, have you gone insane?  He waves the pistol in her face--these bullets can kill you as well as anyone else, he warns.  She realizes he's feeling the books for the lever and says, "Stop, what are you doing there?"
From across the room, Barnabas calls, "Gerard, looking for a book?"  Barnabas! cries a horrified Gerard--it's still daylight!  Of course, says Barnabas--what else did you expect at two o'clock in the afternoon?--if you'll tell me the title of the book you're looking for, perhaps I can help you find it--what did you want, Gerard?"  Stiles' face twists with disbelief: How can this be?

NOTES:  Indeed, how can this be?  How is Barnabas walking around at two in the afternoon?  The answer is going to really shock you, folks, but I won't spoil the surprise.

Did Angelique write that note Trask found in his skeletal father's coat?  She never would have done so in the storyline we saw--she would never have told Reverend Trask about Barnabas because she didn't want him to be destroyed.  When Ben was about to do it in 1796, Angelique's ghost (the giant head) appeared and stopped him.  Once she tried to destroy him to prevent him from rising as a vampire, and then he killed her, she decided he'd stay a vampire forever.  This does not jive with DS history as we know it, but then again, it's not the first discrepancy, is it?

I just love the way Gerard leads Trask around, but overhearing Barnabas and Julia discussing Stiles, Trask showed suspicion for him.  Trask can't be trusted to be loyal to anyone, can he?

Carrie's revelations about the changes in Gerard put up a warning flag for Julia.  Lucky she kept questioning the young girl about what Gerard took, or Barnabas would be toast now--filled with silver bullets.

Something really amazing is coming up, folks, buckle up and enjoy the ride.

Love, Robin