Author Topic: #0162/0163: Robservations 09/13/01: Laura's Portrait Reappears  (Read 1237 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
#0162/0163: Robservations 09/13/01: Laura's Portrait Reappears
« on: September 12, 2001, 07:49:02 PM »
Episode #162 - Collinwood, even by day, is shrouded in mysteries, mysteries that seem to touch on the unseen, and the unknown. A stranger has come to Collinwood, a man who may be able to solve these mysteries, and the life of one member of the Collins family depends on what he is able to find out.

Vicki opens the door of Collinwood to Dr. Guthrie. Any news on Mrs. Stoddard? he asks. Yes, says Vicki, Roger phoned the hospital in Boston last night, she's not any better--all the tests they've made on her have been unsuccessful--they still don't know what's wrong with her. I'm sorry to hear that, he says, but I can't say it surprises me. You still think she's under some kind of trance? asks Vicki. As unlikely as it seems, he says, yes. Then may I ask you a question? she asks--do you really think Mrs. Collins is responsible in some way for what's happened to Mrs. Stoddard? It's a possibility, he says. I'm asking this because I'm in a very awkward position, says Vicki--Mrs. Stoddard told me to keep David away from his mother--I don't know if I can do that, I don't even know if it's right--she is David's mother. You want my opinion? he asks--if I were you, I'd do everything in my power to keep that boy away from Laura Collins. Vicki stares at him, unsure.

Then you do suspect Mrs. Collins? asks Vicki. I couldn't go that far, he says. But you just said... she reminds him. Let me just clarify what I said, he says--I had two facts at my disposal--the first is the presence in this house of a force, a force so strong that it put Mrs. Troddard--Mrs. Stoddard into a trance. But you don't know what it is, says Vicki. All I know, he says, the force (may it be with you) is so strongly opposed to Mrs. Stoddard that it superimposed itself on her will--which leads me to the second fact--from everything I've been able to figure out, the greatest source of friction in this house is between Mrs. Stoddard and Mrs. Collins--I would like to get to know Mrs. Collins and find out more about her. I hope you do, says Vicki--there's so much about her I don't understand. Guthrie removes his glasses and asks if she minds if he asks her some questions. Not at all! she assures him, sitting on the sofa. He joins her. Frank Garner filled me in pretty well, says Guthrie--he explained to me your compulsion to go to the crypt, and what you found there--the succession of L. Murdochs, all of whom died in fire. That was very strange, says Vicki. Could you tell me about this compulsion, describe it to me? he asks. It was as though I had no will of my own, she explains, as though something else were driving me. And you feel that this something else was the spirit of Josette Collins? he asks. I'm sure of it, she says, because whenever I had one of these compulsions, there was always the same scent in the air--jasmine. How do you relate this scent to Josette? he asks. When she appeared to me in the Old House, I smelled the jasmine then, she says. And you're absolutely certain you saw a manifestation? asks Guthrie. I know I saw Josette, says Vicki. Anybody else seen her? he asks. David has, says Vicki. Would you call David a highly imaginative child? asks Guthrie. Well, I, yes, I suppose so, says Vicki, uncomfortable at his implications. And of course he's grown up at Collinwood, so he'd have heard all the legends, points out Guthrie, and that may very well affect his imagination. David may be imagining things, says Vicki, but I'm not--I know that I saw Josette
--I do think she's responsible for these compulsions--in fact, I think she's trying to tell me something about Mrs. Collins. (go with that, Vicki!)

Cottage - Would you like to come here and stay overnight with me? Laura asks David. They are, of course, sitting by the fire. I guess so--what would we do? he asks. Anything you want, she promises. Would you tell me stories? he asks. Mmm-hmm, she says--I know lots of wonderful stories! And could we have a fire? he asks. Yes, he says. Could I build it? he asks. Yes, of course, she laughs. OK then I'll stay, he says. I'm glad you want to, she says. Miss Winters will probably make a fuss about it, though, says David. Have you mentioned it to her? Laura asks calculatingly. Not yet, he says, but I know exactly what she's going to say--she'll say I have to stay home and do homework--she's gotten pretty strict. I'm sure she's just doing her best, says Laura. She was never this strict before, says David. She's probably just doing what she thinks she ought to do, says Laura. I'm glad you're not that way, says David. Maybe that's because I'm your mother and understand you better than Miss Winters does, hm? asks Laura. I'm glad you're my mother, says David, smiling. Are you, dear? she asks. Yes, he says, you don't scold me or boss me around. She caresses his hair and asks if he's given anymore thought to going away with her. Yes I have, he says. What have you decided? she asks. I'm not sure, he admits. Don't you want to go? she asks. I think so, he says, shrugging, but...I'm not so sure I want to leave Collinwood--I like it here, I know all sorts of secret hiding places where I can play--and if I go away, I won't have secret hiding places. But you'll have other things, she assures him--believe me, you'll like it where I want to take you, David--oh, you really will like it. Maybe, he says.
I'm not going to force you to make a decision now, she says, but you must make one soon--(her voice changes to one tinged with evil)--we haven't got much time.

Guthrie looks out the drawing room window. David returns, calling to Vicki. Guthrie closes the window. She's gone outside to look for you, Guthrie tells him. Who are you? asks David. My name is Guthrie, says the doctor, shaking David's hand--I'm here because of your Aunt Elizabeth. Are you a doctor? asks David. Yes, says Guthrie, you must be David. That's right, says the boy. I've been looking forward to meeting you, says Guthrie--I've heard a very great deal about you--I understand you've seen a ghost. Who told you? asks David. Miss Winters, Guthrie replies. It's true, I have, lots of times, says David. I believe you, says Guthrie. You do? asks David, excited. Yes, certainly, I believe in the existence of such things, says the doctor. You're not like most people, says David, most people make fun of me whenever I talk about them. I'm not going to make fun of you, says Guthrie--I believe in ghosts. Why? asks David. Because I'm interested, says Guthrie--you know, my favorite stories are ghost stories? Mine, too, says David--have you ever seen a ghost? No, but I hope to someday, says Guthrie. Do you really believe in them? asks David. I do, says Guthrie--would you tell me about the ghosts you've seen? OK, agrees David, and drags a hassock right close to Guthrie's knees and sits on it. I've seen the ghost of Mr. Malloy, he says, he was real tall, had seaweed all over him--he was scary, and I've seen the ghost of Josette Collins lots of times, bubbles David. Was she scary, too? asks Guthrie. Not scary, says David, just sad. Do you suppose that she might appear to me? asks Guthrie. If you believe, says David--she doesn't appear to anybody that doesn't believe. I qualify, says Guthrie. It would be great if we could get her to appear, says David, why don't we go to the Old House?--that's where she usually appears. I can't think of anything I'd like to do better, says Guthrie. OK, I'll go get my coat, says David. Vicki enters. I see you two have met, she says. Yes, we've been having a very nice chat, says Guthrie--David is taking me to the Old House. He believes in ghosts--he told me, says David. Where have you been, I've been looking all over for you? asks Vicki. I was...with my mother, he admits. I thought I told you to finish your homework, says Vicki. My mother wanted to see me, says David--that's more important than any old schoolwork. When you come back from the Old House, you've got to finish it, says Vicki. I can't, says David, I'm going to visit my mother and she's going to tell me stories--and I'm going to stay overnight there--and you can't stop me. We'll see about that, says Vicki. What are you going to do? asks David. Have a talk with your mother, says Vicki. I don't think it will do any good, insists David--she already said I could stay over. We'll see, says Vicki. Shall we go, David? asks Guthrie,. OK, says David, but you've got to promise me one thing--that you won't get scared, no matter what happens. I promise, he says. OK, says David, let's go. They depart, Vicki looking worriedly after them. (David really is defiant about his mother. Vicki has her work cut out for her.)

Old House - Birds chirp. We focus on Josette's portrait and the cobweb-covered chandelier. David and Guthrie enter. This is it, says David. How old is this house? asks Guthrie, amazed. Hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of years old (an exaggeration), says David. Who lived here? asks Guthrie. My grandfather, says David--my great, great, great grandfather--his name was Jeremiah Collins--Josette was his wife. Must have been a spectacular place in its day, remarks Guthrie. I like it the way it is now, says David proudly--it's real spooky. Yeah, says Guthrie, I agree with you. Come on, I'll show you Josette Collins, says David, and leads him to the portrait--that's her painting. She was very beautiful, says the doctor (how can he tell?). She was even more beautiful than that, says David. Describe her to me, says Guthrie. She wears a veil and a long long white dress, says David--and there's this funny perfume smell in the air whenever she's nearby. What kind of perfume? asks Guthrie. I don't know, it's real sweet, says David. Like the smell of jasmine? asks Guthrie. I guess so, says David. I see, says Guthrie, looking around the rest of the room--why would she haunt this house, do you know? I think it's the way she died, says David--she killed herself--jumped off the cliff at Widows' Hill. Why? asks Guthrie. Nobody really knows, says David--I think it was because she was lonely--I feel sorry for her. She doesn't scare you the least bit? asks Guthrie. No, she never did anything to make me scared, says David, she was always nice to me. Do you feel like she wants to protect you? asks Guthrie. I know she does, says David, that's why I can't figure out why she won't appear to us, now that I need her so much--I have to ask her some questions, make a very important decision--I have to know whether I should leave Collinwood--go away with my mother.
Both of them stare up at the painting as though waiting for an answer.

Laura sits beside the fire in her cottage. Vicki knocks, but it takes Laura a while to come out of her trance and answer the door. I hope I'm not disturbing you, says Vicki. Not at all, says Laura, won't you come in?--What can I do for you? It's about David, says Vicki, he's falling behind in his schoolwork again--I've spoken to him about it, but it didn't do any good--something has to be done. I couldn't agree more, says Laura--I'll speak to him again. He told me that he wants to spend the night down here, says Vicki. That's right, says Laura--what about it? I don't think it would be a very good idea, says Vicki. Why not? asks Laura. Because he wouldn't get his schoolwork done, says Vicki. He'll do it here, says Laura. Will he? asks Vicki. I'll see to it that he does, says Laura. He'll have to get up very early in the morning in order to put in a good day, says Vicki. I'll see to it that he gets up early in the morning, promises Laura. All right, says Vicki, out of excuses. I am quite capable of taking care of David myself, Laura assures her. I'm sure you are, says Vicki. Then what's wrong? asks Laura. It's just that David has been spending so much time here, and not enough on his schoolwork. (sounds lame, Vicki.) I just told you, I'll correct that situation, says Laura. I know what you said, Vicki tells her. I'm sure you know by now that I'm a very straightforward person, says Laura. So am I, says Vicki. Then be straightforward now, says Laura--you're interested in more than David's studies--you want to keep him away from me--isn't that the truth?

I asked you a question, I'd appreciate an answer, demands Laura. It's a very difficult question to answer, says Vicki. You do want to keep me away from David--why? demands Laura. I know I have no right to keep you two apart, says Vicki. That's right, you don't, says Laura--David is my son. It's just that I have my instructions, says Vicki, and David is my responsibility. I know all about Liz' instructions, says Laura bitterly, I know when she issued them and why. Mrs. Stoddard was afraid that something about you was disturbing to David, says Vicki. But that's no longer the case--he wants to be with me now, says Laura--if Liz were here, she'd have no logical reason for keeping us apart. Maybe not, says Vicki. I'm disappointed in you, says Laura--you were so kind to me when I first came here, so helpful in bringing David closer to me. I tried to be, says Vicki. But you're not trying now, accuses Laura--there's a change in your attitude--what's caused it? I don't know that anything has changed my attitude, demurs Vicki. Something has, insists Laura. I'm just trying to carry out my instructions, says Vicki. If you're wise, you'll forget your instructions, says Laura. I'm sorry, but I can't, says Vicki. You'd better, murmurs Laura. (an out and out threat?) WHAT? asks Vicki, stunned. I do not want interference form you, says Laura. I've tried very hard not to interfere, says Vicki. Then try harder, advises Laura--here's a word of advice--don't try to come between David and me--it wouldn't be wise--in fact, it would be very unwise.
She gives Vicki a half smile filled with malice.

Old House - Well, David, says Guthrie, it looks to me like Josette Collins isn't going to appear. She can't, says David--we're both in the same room--she never appears to more than one person at a time. She doesn't? asks Guthrie. No, says David, never has. Then I guess we'd better split up, suggests Guthrie. That's what I was thinking, says David. Do the ghosts appear in any of the other rooms? asks Guthrie. Sometimes, says David. I think I'll take a look around, says Guthrie, why don't you stay here?--I won't be long. OK agrees David. I won't be gone long, just a few minutes, Guthrie says--you won't go away, will you? No, I'll stay right here, promises David--I like it here. Guthrie heads upstairs. David turns to the portrait and speaks plaintively. Josette, we're alone now, he says, why don't you appear to me--I want to ask you some questions--please, I want to know whether or not I should be with my mother, or leave Collinwood--I want to be with my mother but I don't want to leave my friends--please, can't you tell me what to do?--can't you make some sign? He turns away, disappointed, then sniffs the air--jasmine! I smell your perfume, he says--you're here, you're going to tell me what to do! He stands on a chair, gazing up at the portrait, excitedly repeating over and over, "You're going to tell me what to do!"
The portrait glows, and in its place, we see Sam's painting of Laura and David, burning in flames! That's my picture! he cries.

NOTES: Josette is sending David a clear message of warning; will he get it? If he tells anyone about this, especially Vicki or Guthrie, there's no doubt that they will have another piece of the puzzle needed to keep David away from his mother forever.

Laura is getting downright nasty with Vicki--she even threatened her! Poor Vicki can't stand up to Laura, who is not only older and more knowing, but possessed of God knows what powers. Vicki had better be careful, or she'll end up in Coma Central with poor Liz.

Henesy is such an excellent actor. Even though Dr. Guthrie slipped up on some of his lines today, I enjoyed his scenes with David. Maybe it's those terrible glasses, but he looks so competent!

Episode #163 - These are strange days at Collinwood, days in which wonder and terror blend in equal amounts to create something that does not seem to be of this world. And for a young boy, the barrier between what is real and what is not rapidly disappears.

Guthrie calls to David, who turns away from the portrait--which switches back to that of Josette. I've been looking for you, calls Guthrie, off-camera (didn't he tell him in yesterday's ep to wait for him in the drawing room?) He finds David standing on the chair and asks what's the matter. Where is it? asks David desperately--what happened to it? What happened to what? asks Guthrie. My painting, wails David, it's gone! But the picture's still there! points out Guthrie. Not that one, says David, the other one, my painting. Calm down, take it easy, says Guthrie. They're always taking it away from me, rants David, but it's mine!--mine! What picture? asks Guthrie. The picture of my mother, says David, and now me, too, it was there where Josette is, when you called, I turned around, and they must have taken it away again. Nobody's taken anything out of this room, says Guthrie, you and I are the only ones here. Didn't you see it? says David. I saw no picture of you and your mother--none at all, says Guthrie. David jumps off the chair and both stare up at Josette's portrait.

Guthrie puts comforting hands on David's shoulders and urges him to get hold of himself--tell me all about it, but slowly, don't get excited, just start at the beginning and tell me more about this picture you saw. They sit on crates. It was the same picture that was in my room, explains David--only different--it was a picture of my mother--it scared me sometimes, but mostly I loved it. Why should it ever scare you? asks Guthrie. It moved towards me once, says David. You're going to have to be clearer than that if I'm to understand what you mean, says Guthrie. Her face--my mother's face--it came right out of the picture, came toward me, closer and closer, and closer! Says David, agitated. All right, says Guthrie as David starts to cry, take it easy, slow down--he pats his shoulder and rises, looking up at the portrait, giving David time to compose himself. How do you feel now? asks the doctor. Better, thanks, says David. Why don't you tell me a little more about this picture, says Guthrie. It was my mother, explains David, and there was a whole lot of fire all around her--behind her, all around her--it was like she was rising right out of the flames. I see, says Guthrie--is that all? There was one other thing, says David, it looked like it wasn't finished--there was this space that was empty, like something belonged there but was left out--but it was different today--the space was filled--by me--I was in the picture with my mother
--it was like the space had always been waiting for me, like I'd always been in there--only I could never see it before!

Cottage - I can't do a thing, Laura complains to Roger--they're trying to tie my hands. Do you think it's any better for me? asks Roger--sitting on her sofa, nobody pays the slightest attention to my wishes--it's almost like being a poor relation.
We're just going to have to find a way to use it to our advantage, says Laura. Yes, but how? he asks--Liz has these girls bound to her by a series of revolting promises. We'll find a way to get around them, says Laura. Have you seen Carolyn? asks Roger--all of a sudden, she's a tycoon, it's as though they made a duplicate copy of Liz. That's all right, says Laura, as long as she's busy with the business, she won't be any trouble to us--the important thing is David--I've got to have more time to win him over. What's stopping you? asks Roger. Vicki, says Laura. Yes, says Roger darkly, I admit, Liz has brainwashed her. You've got to do something about it, says Laura--you're David's father. What can I do about it? he asks. Liz isn't here and she's in no condition to know who's doing what, says Laura viciously, I want my son! I want you to have him, but what's the next move? demands Roger. Getting around Vicki, says Laura, I've already had an argument with her about David--as soon as I start to make progress with him, she interferes. Surely she can't stop you from seeing him, says Roger. No, I've been able to get around that, says Laura. You're just going to have to be patient, he says, obviously it's going to take you a little longer than you thought. I've asked Vicki to let him come over and spend the night, she says, she refused--that's all I need--one night alone with him and you'll never be troubled by him again--because he'll belong to me--completely! (sinister bitch--probably has to perform some ceremony on the poor child.)

Yes, I think that would be a very good thing, agrees Roger--let David spend the night with you and then he would get used to your taking care of him. Exactly, says Laura. Well, why not? asks Roger. What about Vicki? asks Laura. I'll take care of Vicki, Roger assures her. And Liz? asks Laura. Liz is hardly in any condition to be told about this now, says Roger--when she gets back from the hospital, it will all be over, except the shouting--though she did promise that if David genuinely wanted to go with you, she wouldn't oppose him--hm--what a homecoming that's going to be! Sometimes I think the only reason you want me to have David is because it will irritate Liz, accuses Laura. (bingo, and that sucks--besides, he just doesn't want the kid.) Do my motivations really matter? asks Roger. No, not really, says Laura. We understand each other so well, says Roger--it's a wonder we could never make a go of our marriage. That's because we understand each other TOO well, she says. It was because you encouraged another man, that made me jealous, he says. No it didn't, she says, that's not true at all--it hurt your pride--you only wanted me because Burke wanted me--winning me was the only thing in which you ever beat him. Why did you want me? asks Roger. Because I thought I'd like the kind of life you could give me, she says--I thought I'd enjoy being a Collins of Collinsport. (take a sip of your drink!) And then of course, she reminds him, we were accomplices at Burke's trial. Yes, says Roger, perjury does make strange bedfellows, doesn't it? (co-conspirators who deserve each other, both wretches!) David runs in to tell Laura he has something tremendous to tell her. What is it? she asks. I saw my painting again, he says. That's impossible! says Roger. I did, says David--at the Old House. I've told you a hundred times not to go to that place alone, says Roger. I wasn't alone, says David. And Vicki shouldn't take you there, either, says Roger. I wasn't with Miss Winters, says David--I was with Dr. Guthrie--he wanted to see the Old House--and Josette. And did he? asks Laura. No, she wouldn't appear, says David. And that's where you saw the picture of me down there? Laura asks. Yes, says David, it was where Josette's is. What did Dr. Guthrie say about it? asks Laura. He didn't see it, says David. If it was there, why didn't he? asks Roger sarcastically. Well, says David, I was standing in the room alone and then he called me and it disappeared. How did you feel about that? asks Laura. Awful, says David, I felt even worse than when they first took it away from me--I felt like crying, and I'm sure I would have if Dr. Guthrie hadn't been there. That settles it, says Roger angrily, rising from his chair--I'm going to have a talk with the good doctor! It's not his fault, says David. Where is he now? asks Roger. I guess he's at the Old House, says David. That's where I'm headed for, says Roger. Laura joins him at the door. Did you mean what you said? asks Laura anxiously--about arranging for David to spend the night here? I've already told you yes, he reminds her. Fine--that's all I wanted to know, she says, opening the door for him. He leaves. David is gazing into the fire; she joins him, sitting beside him. Here we are at long last, she says--what shall we do?--would you like to play a game--or how about some cookies and milk? There was something about the picture, he says. I do wish you'd forget about that old thing, she says. It was different from the way it used to be, he says--I was in it--down in that corner, you know the one that was empty?--that's where I was painted in--what do you suppose it can mean? run away, David, now!) I'm not sure I know, she says. (sure you do.) Sure is a puzzle, says David. Maybe it just means you want to be with me forever, just as in the painting, she says--oh, David, that would be so nice!--wouldn't you like that, darling? He looks down, not replying.

Laura smoothes back David's hair. You would like to spend the night here, wouldn't you? she asks him. I guess so, he says--but what about my father? He's already given his permission for you to stay, she says. I guess it doesn't matter much to him anyway, says David resentfully. It matters a great deal to me, Laura assures him, in fact, I'd like to have you stay not just overnight, but always. She pats his knee. That's a long time, he says. A very long time, she says, we'd go far away--how would you like to see the desert?--it's so beautiful, at sunset, it's as if the whole sky is bursting with bright red flames. I'd like to see it, but--leave here forever?--I don't know, he says. Wouldn't you like to leave Collin(s)wood? she asks--there's so many things to see--so much to do that you can't do here--there's a whole world! I'd miss Aunt Elizabeth, says David. Yes, but she has her child--Carolyn--says Laura--and I'd like to have mine--you. But what about Miss Winters--what would become of her? asks David. (he likes her!) Miss Winters is a strong, healthy girl, says Laura, and someday she'll marry and have children of her own. But until then, she'll lose her job, points out David. She'll find another one, points out Laura--where there will be another little boy that she'll have to love just as much as you. (low blow, Laura!) Not as much, says David sadly. Darling, it's her job! says Laura. I still think she's my real friend, says David. Of course she's your real friend, says Laura, she has to be the real friend of any little boy she's hired to take care of. I still think she likes me more than anybody else, he insists. (awww!) Let's not talk about it anymore, she suggests--why don't you tell me about your new friend, Dr. Guthrie, hm? He's very nice, but not so smart, says David. Why do you say that? asks Laura. Because he has to ask so many questions, says David--about Collinwood, and the Old House, about everybody who's ever lived here--he was very interested in your picture. This concerns Laura. He was? she asks. Yes, a lot, says David. I wonder what he wants to know? asks Laura. I think everything, says David. Dr. Guthrie certainly is very curious, remarks Laura.
I don't know why, says David, why is he so interested the Old House? I don't know, says Laura. I don't understand some things, says David. I don't either, says Laura--I don't understand it at all.

Old House - Guthrie gazes up at Josette's painting. Roger enters, walking quietly up behind him. I see you're as interested in our ancestors as you are in us, says Roger.  Sometimes a bit more, says Guthrie. The place is crawling with them, says Roger--ancestors, ancestors, wherever you look. Yes, you certainly have a fascinating set of forbears, says Guthrie. I did not come here to discuss them, says Roger, I came to discuss my son--I do not want you to be around him. Oh--why not? asks the doctor. David is a very high strung boy, says Roger, given to all kinds of fantasies--we've done our best to try to discourage him and you are Encouraging him! In what way? asks Guthrie. You know very well in what way, says Roger--all this business about Josette and the portrait--it's all in his mind, and you make him dwell on it. That may be the best way to get it out of his mind, opines Guthrie--let him understand it fully. I'm the judge of what is best for David, he's my son, insists Roger. I'm only trying to get at a few facts, says Guthrie. These are not facts, says Roger, they're figments of his imagination. You're in no position to be certain of that, says Guthrie. I'm in a position to know this much, says Roger firmly--I'm David's father, his legal guardian--me, not my niece, or my sister, or anyone else--and as long as that is the case, you will not see him! What does your wife think about this? queries Guthrie. I don't know why that should interest you at all, says Roger. Well it does, replies Guthrie, she interest me a great deal
--a very great deal. Roger regards him with contempt.

Laura sits staring into the fire at the cottage and as usual, doesn't hear the knock at her door. She finally goes to answer--it's Dr. Guthrie, who introduces himself to her, explaining that he's wanted to meet her. I was just thinking about you, she says, wondering what you'd be like--won't you come in? Thank you, he says--actually, I was looking for David. He just left, says Laura--do come in for a moment and sit down--David has told me so much about you. And me about you, says Guthrie--but you're not at all what I expected. They sit on the sofa. Really? asks Laura--what did you expect? I'm not sure, he says, but it's not you--but then, children rarely mention how lovely their parents are--they think about it but don't talk about it, at least not to other adults. It's very kind of you to spend so much time with David, she says. I'm glad to do it, he says, he's a very nice boy. I think so, she says, and also a very imaginative one. In what way? asks Guthrie. All this business about my portrait and Josette, she says. Yes, of course, that's true, he says. Of course you can't blame him growing up in a place like this all by himself, she says. It's a beautiful place, he says. Yes, it is, she says, but so much more a part of the past, rather than the present--it's really not surprising he believes in ghosts. Do you? he asks. No, she says. What do you believe in? he asks. If so inclined, she says, I believe in times gone by--I believe the events of the past can be haunting enough without conjuring up spirits about it. It isn't exactly as if David had been alone, says Guthrie, he had his father. Roger was never really a father to him, says Laura, in fact, he's the bigger baby of the two. I heard you were separated, he says. Even when we were together, we were separated, she says--you see, I had a great rival for Roger's affections--Roger himself--he won out--I never could think as much of him as he thought of himself--I don't know why I'm telling you all of this. I'm interested, points out Guthrie. Perhaps it's because I would like us to be friends, she says. I'd like that, too, he tells her. Well, then, she says, shall we make a stab at it? Yes, let's he says, for David if no other reason--I think you're right, he has very few people in this world--of course, there's your sister in law, Mrs. Stoddard. Yes, says Laura, she's raised a child of her own, of course, and I don't think she has the patience to start over again with mine. You sound as if you're not too fond of her, he says. I tried very hard to be fond of her, in the beginning, explains Laura, but she wouldn't let me--she didn't think I was good enough for Roger--no, that's not quite right, Roger didn't count--actually, she didn't think I was good enough to be a Collins. Then perhaps you won't be too sorry if she's away for a while, he suggests. I am always sorry when someone is ill, Doctor, she says, aren't you? And such a strange illness, he says--what do you make of it. I'll leave making anything out of it to you, she says, after all, that's your business. I've never seen anything like it--not in this world, he says. Are there any other worlds? She asks. There might be, he replies. What an interesting observation, she says--we must discuss it sometime. Haven't you ever considered the possibilities of another world? he asks. (another soap, now defunct.) Let me put it this way, she says, I feel that the possibilities of things in this world are so infinite that it's difficult to conceive of another. What an interesting observation, he says, grinning--we must discuss it sometime. Are you going to be around long enough for us to have our...discussions? she asks. That depends on how soon I get to the bottom of your sister in law's illness, he says. I wish I could be of some help, she says. You may be, he says, you may very well be. Not if you go looking in other worlds, says Laura, because I am strictly part of this one.
But as you just commented, he points out, the possibilities of THIS world are infinite.

NOTES: Sounds like Roger had problems with his marriage, not surprisingly. I had to laugh when Laura tells Guthrie that Roger was his own rival for Laura's affections--and he won out. I always felt it had to be Burke who interfered with their marriage, but apparently, Roger couldn't get out of his own way.

Other worlds...Peter Guthrie and Laura discussed them, and it almost seemed as if they were challenging each other. She claims she lives in no other world but this one, but he reminds her she said that there were infinite possibilities in this one. Even though they seemed to come to a friendly pact, I sense that these two are already suspicious of each other and believe the other represents a threat.

With Roger so against Guthrie, but Laura forced to pretend she's for him, what will happen as far as David is concerned? If Josette really wanted to prevent Laura from harming David, she'd have been wiser to allow Guthrie to see the changed painting. He would have interpreted it properly. David got very upset and felt as if he'd lost the painting all over again--except this time, HE had been added to the picture, making it all the more valuable to him.

It seems as if the battle is joined for David's soul, David's very life, with Laura and Roger on one side, Vicki, Carolyn, Guthrie and Josette on the other. The numbers are in David's favor--but with both his parents on the same side, will he survive?

Love, Robin