Author Topic: #0140/0141: Robservations 08/27/01: Phoenix, Laurizona  (Read 1151 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
#0140/0141: Robservations 08/27/01: Phoenix, Laurizona
« on: August 26, 2001, 05:57:30 PM »
Episode #140 - A strange, unexplainable terror has crept into the heart of someone at Collinwood, a feeling of love that should draw people together has driven one away to the edge of the precipice.

They repeat yesterday's ending, and David ends up hanging off the edge of the cliff, in terror of his mother. Vicki comes forward, Laura stays back. Vicki takes David's hands and pulls him up.
He clings to her, crying, and she assures him it's all right now, nothing will happen. Why did you do that? she asks. I don't know, he says resentfully. It was a terrible thing to do, she says, stroking his hair--you almost went over. I was so scared! He says. What were you scared of? she asks--nothing to be frightened of. Yes there is, he insists--it's--he looks at Laura, who's back is turned--I don't know, there was something about her eyes. This is the second time you've run away from your mother, says Vicki--you mustn't do that--she's come such a long way just to see you, and now she thinks you don't want her. I don't know, he moans. Look at her, says Vicki, turning him toward his mother--she's crying because she loves you and you won't even let her touch you. Do you really think so? he asks. I know it, she says gently--the one thing that's very important in her life is you--you told me a lot of times you wanted your mother to come back--now she's here and you act as if you don't want to see her There's just something I can't explain! he says, agitated. I know what it is, says Vicki, it's the dream--you have it too much on your mind--but your mother isn't a dream, she's real, she's here--it's time for you to go to her and give her the love you've both been searching for. David looks at her, then at Laura. He slowly walks toward his mother, whose back is still turned. Mother, he says, as she dabs her nose with a handkerchief, don't you want to look at me? I don't want you to see me crying, she says. I'm sorry I made you cry, he says. It wasn't just you alone, she explains, it was many things that are very hard to understand that made me cry. Then will you stop now? he asks. Yes, she says, dabbing her eyes. Did you really travel a long long way just to see me? he asks. Yes, she says--why did you run away from me? Because you look so strange, he says--I don't know--there was something about your eyes. She faces him. Look at me, she says, do you still see the same thing? No, he admits, I don't. We have to get used to each other again, she says, it's been such a long time. I guess so, he says. We used to have so much fun playing together, she reminds him, we can do that again. Mother, do you like me? he asks. Oh, David, she says, I love you, very, very much!--more than anything in the whole world. Will you leave me? he asks plaintively--I mean ever. Not if you don't want me to, he says. Then you'll stay here? he says. I'll stay with you forever and ever, she assures him--we'll always be together--we'll never be separated. She holds out his hand and he takes it.
Then he hugs her, and she hugs him back. He smiles up at her and they walk off.

Roger enters the drawing room and asks Liz if the newspaper contains anything interesting, or the same boring nonsense. You can have it if you want it, she says. No thanks, he says, pouring something into a glass, but I'll tell you this--I'd like to have seen the Phoenix Tom Tom, or whatever they call the local paper down there. Why? Asks Liz. Last night, says Roger, Sheriff Patterson paid an official visit here--he had received a teletype from Phoenix, reporting the death of Laura Collins. Liz is stunned. The building she lived in burned down, explains Roger, and there was an unrecognizable body in her apartment and they thought it might have been Laura. Terrible, says Liz, making a face. But he asked her some questions and she said she hadn't loaned the key to anyone and that was all the information she was able to give him, says Roger. It must have been an awful shock for her, says Liz. Yes, she was upset, says Roger. When did all this happen? asks Liz. Apparently, the day she arrived here in Collinsport. Oh, then she has no place to go back to, says Liz. I thought about that, too, says Roger, but she said she hadn't planned to go back there anyway--she had though of a better and different place to take David. How can you be so eager to get rid of your son? asks Liz. It's not that at all, says Roger, it's just that I think it's better for him to be with his natural mother--I make no reflection on you--but you know you have your own worries with your own daughter--are you aware she brought Burke Devlin here last night? No, says Liz, taken aback. She did, says Roger--he made himself perfectly at home. Liz rises from the sofa. What was so disturbing to me was, he had access to Laura, says Roger, at a particular time when I didn't want them to meet--and he used Carolyn to get to Laura. Did he get to Laura? Asks Liz. I fortunately arrived in time, says Roger--Burke thought it was 10 years ago and he was breathing down her neck--I wanted him to stay away, it was a very nasty scene. Laura, her arm around David, followed by Vicki, enters the drawing room. I hope we're not late for dinner, says Laura. No, says Liz, is everything all right? Everything is fine! Exults Laura, messing David's hair--we've just been out for a walk. Glad to hear it, says Liz, not smiling. Mother, asks David, do you want to come up to see my room? I would love to see your room, says Laura--is there time? she asks Liz. Mrs. Johnson isn't ready yet, says Liz. Fine, says Laura, then we'll be right back. I want to show you my special toys! Says David, leading his mother upstairs. Liz looks heartbroken. Back in the drawing room, she says, "You're doing a good job, Vicki." Thank you, says Vicki, taking off her coat. How did you get them together? asks Roger. Mrs. Collins and I pre-arranged a meeting, says Vicki, and I got David there on time. And it was as easy as that? asks Liz. No, says Vicki, it was actually quite frightening--when David saw his mother, he got petrified, and started to back away to the edge of the cliff--he slipped and nearly went over (Liz gasps)--but I pulled him up. How did you manage to get David and his mother together? asks Liz. Mrs. Collins broke down and David felt very ashamed of himself and went to her. Apparently it was effective, says Roger--I was very pleased at the progress. I was afraid that David was going to say the same thing he did the first time he met his mother--he said she wasn't his real mother. WHAT? asks Liz. Now Vicki, says Roger, really, I've asked you not to bring up that nonsense again. I'm sorry, says Vicki. What would make him say a thing like that? asks Liz. He just didn't recognize her, says Roger, it's as simple as that and unimportant--that's why I asked Vicki to forget it--and he gives her a nasty look.
It's not an easy thing to forget, she says--David is a very sensitive, intuitive boy--I can't imagine what would make him say a thing like that.

The entire group is sitting around a table with a centerpiece of lovely flowers. David finishes off his dessert and asks for more. I'm afraid not, says Liz. Roger and Liz both note that Laura hasn't touched her food (someone forgot their line). I just wasn't very hungry, she says. Remind me to give Mrs. Johnson an up to date cookbook, jokes Roger. We should have had hamburgers! Says David eagerly. I thought you were going to say hot dogs, laughs Vicki. David asks to be excused. Liz says yes. Roger suggests they go inside before she serves them another course. Liz stays seated and asks Laura to stay with her a moment. Of course, says Laura, sitting back down. Roger tells them he'll see them in the drawing room and leaves them alone. I'm glad that you and David seem to be getting along at last, says Liz. So am I! says Laura. I was very concerned about his first reaction to you, says Liz. You can imagine how I felt, says Laura, what with his running away from me. From what I've been told, says Liz, he didn't even think you were his mother. Did he say that? asks Laura, amazed. Yes, says Liz. What a strange thing for him to say, says Laura, He's very imaginative, says Liz, he even thinks he can communicate with the ghosts of the Collins family. He does seem to like fantasy, doesn't he? asks Laura. He spends a lot of time with them, says Liz. Perhaps now that I'm here, says Liz, he'll spend more time with me. I hope so, says Liz. Laura rises. There's one more thing, says Liz--Burke Devlin--I suppose you've heard that he's out to destroy the Collins family name. I had heard something about that, admits Laura. I know you used to be quite close, says Liz.
That was a long time ago, Laura assures her--I have no intention of becoming an ally of his. I'm glad, says Liz, because I'd hate to see anything get in the way of the reason you came here. Nothing could get in the way, says Laura mysteriously.

In the drawing room, Roger chastises Vicki. I asked you not to mention what David said, Roger tells her.
I'm sorry, says Vicki, I just think it's very unusual that David is so positive Mrs. Collins isn't his mother. David pokes the fire. It's just his usual hallucination, says Roger, you should be aware of that by now and not taken in by it. If she's so insistent on the subject, I think we should get it cleared up, insists Vicki. I agree, says Roger--and I think I know how I can do it. He goes into the armoire and takes out a photo book. He asks David to come away from the fire and sit with him--he wants to show him something. They sit together on the sofa. You have been saying some very unpleasant things, says Roger--about your mother not being your mother--why do you say that. Ashamed, David says he doesn't know. You don't know, repeats Roger, it's a terrible thing to say and you've got to stop it--I'm going to show you some pictures. I've seen them already, he says. Vicki comes over to look over Roger's shoulder. I want you to see them again, says Roger--look at them very carefully--now, there--is that your mother? David looks. Yes, he says. And look, here, says Roger. Yes, says David. Roger turns the pages. This? he asks. Yes, says David. Now granted, these pictures were taken 10 years ago, says Roger, but I want you to look at them very carefully--and tell me once and for all that you have no doubt about your mother coming back home to us. David looks. She is my mother, he says. Laura, standing in the doorway, is pleased. Looking at the family album? Asks Laura, entering the drawing room. Yes, says Roger, I was just showing David some early pictures of his mother. I'd love to see them, says Laura. David has taken the album over to the fireplace seat and is going through it. Please do, invites Roger--I think it's been very enlightening to David, it's helped remove any doubts he may have had--what do you say, David? Right, he says. Would you show them to me? asks Laura. OK, agrees David. I'm sure I remember some of them, says Laura, settling down beside him, but I'm sure a lot have been added since...I went away. I have a few things to do, says Roger, excusing himself, asking for a word with Vicki. Roger gazes at his wife and son poring over the album, and is content that all is well. He joins Vicki in the drawing room and says he thinks Laura and David should be alone a little longer--he's very pleased with the progress she's making. I'm glad David's gotten over that strange fright of his, says Vicki. Your talent as a governess has been put to a test, he says. I understand how he feels, she says--I've been searching for the same thing he has, only I haven't been quite as lucky.

Look how tiny you were there, laughs Laura, pointing to a photo. I'm getting a lot taller, brags David. I'll say you are, she agrees, you're going to be a very tall young man. Will I be taller than my father? asks David. Yes! she says. Taller than Burke Devlin? he asks. Possibly, she says. What's it like where you came from? he asks. Some people call it paradise, she says. Really? he asks, that's pretty good. You'd love the weather there, it's warm, the sun is shining, it's never cold or damp the way it is here, she says dreamily--there's a wonderful fragrance in the air--comes from all the beautiful plants and flowers--and you can smell cinnamon! Oh boy, says David, I love cinnamon toast! She laughs. And there are the tallest palm trees, she says, the trunks curving up into the sky, the kind of trees that make a wonderful nesting place for the Phoenix. The Phoenix? Asks David--what's that? A legendary bird, she says, that's said to live forever. I've never even heard of it, says David. Vicki comes into the foyer, and listens. Not many people have, says Laura--in fact, it's said there's only one on earth at a time. What does it look like? asks David. It's very beautiful, says Laura--it has a scarlet head and body and sea-blue eyes--and its wings are iridescent! I wish I could see one, says David. Perhaps you can, in your imagination, suggests Laura--try--(David closes his eyes)--try to picture the beautiful bird flying high in the clouds--listen to the flap of its wings as it flies from century to century. It must be pretty old, remarks David. That's one of the fascinating things about it, says Laura--it doesn't grow old for a hundred years, and even then, it doesn't lose its beauty--then one day, it feels its wings growing heavier, and knows it hasn't much time--it hears death calling, so it knows what it must do--it starts on its last, long flight, in search of the very tallest palm tree--and it gathers up all the sweet smelling spices and builds a very special nest on top of the tree--and then at dawn, the Phoenix awakes, begins to sing--and then the sun rises, all the rays become very strong an beat down on the drying nest--and slowly, it starts to smolder, and the Phoenix fans the sparks with its wings, until the entire nest is ablaze!--and the beautiful feathers all catch on fire and the whole bird is consumed in flame and burned to ashes!--and from these ashes, the Phoenix is re-born to live on and spend the next hundred years in paradise.
Suddenly, the front doors blow open. At the same time, the drawing room doors blow open, too, revealing Vicki standing there. Laura and David look at her, and the fire suddenly leaps up higher. Laura looks possessively at David.

NOTES: When Laura describes the Phoenix, it sounds like she's having a religious experience--and perhaps, in a way, she is. Now that Vicki has overheard this, will she, at least, start putting two and two together? It all seems to have gone right over Roger's head--the fire in Phoenix, the painting, David's insistence that this woman isn't his mother. Why did the doors blow open at the conclusion of Laura's story? Was it a warning? Will Vicki take heed?

It was touching to see Laura and David together, finally. He does need a mother, even if she isn't the one he really needs. We know she has evil plans for him, or they wouldn't be playing that creepy music, right? LOL.

Now that Laura has managed to overcome David's fears, what comes next? Liz is suspicious of her, too, judging by the discussion in the dining room, but what action will she take to keep the nephew she loves so much?

Episode #141 - The stranger who has come to Collinwood has created fear and indecision for every member of the Collins family, but the greatest indecision rests in the mind of a small boy.

Vicki finds David standing at the piano, drawing something. She notes he's up early and asks him if he slept well. I slept OK, he says. No more dreams? She asks. No, he says. Good, she says--what's that you're drawing. A bird, he says. That's a funny-looking bird, she remarks. It isn't just any old bird, he says, it's a Phoenix--a picture of the story my mother told me last night. I overheard part of it, says Vicki, it was a very strange story. I liked it, says David. Are you getting to like your mother better? Asks Vicki. I guess so, says David. you're not afraid of her anymore, are you? she asks. I guess not, he says. I'm glad, she says--because I'm sure she loves you very much. David looks up at her. Maybe she does, he says, but I have ways of finding out. What are you talking about? she asks. Never mind, he says, working on the drawing--there--the picture's finished. What's that all around the bird? Asks Vicki. Fire, he says, that's the best part of the story
--the Phoenix bird is burning itself alive. He slides the picture over to her, and she takes it into her hands and gazes at it--and it's pretty damn creepy.

Scary picture, isn't it? asks David. It isn't the pleasantest subject I can think of, says Vicki. Kind of gives you the creeps, doesn't it? he asks. I know that's what it's supposed to do, she says, putting down the drawing. Well, doesn't it? he asks. Let's just say I'm as fond of morbid things as you are, she says. That's because you're a scaredy-cat, he says, disapproving. Maybe, she says--listen, you'd better get Mrs. Johnson to get you some breakfast. I already had it, he says. Oh, good, well I'm going to get some coffee, she says, then we can get an early start on our lessons for once. Do we have to study this morning? he asks. The sooner we start, the sooner it will be over, she reminds him. I should have stayed in bed, he says. Laura enters the house, calling to Liz. Vicki tells her Mrs. Stoddard is still upstairs. I'm here! says David brightly. I didn't expect to see you up so early, says Laura. He usually isn't, says Vicki, smiling. It didn't do me any good, says David, sitting on the foyer table--I thought I'd have some extra time to play--but all Miss Winters thinks about is schoolwork. Laura asks Vicki for a favor--I wonder if you could let David forget about his schoolwork, just for the day. Vicki looks like she's going to say no. I know I shouldn't be asking you this, says Laura, but, I'd love to spend the whole day with him--just the two of us--David, would you like that? Her son, of course, says sure. Would it be all right? asks Laura. Please, begs David. Just this once, says Vicki. GREAT, says David. Thank you, says Laura, I appreciate it. I don't mind the idea of a day off myself, says Vicki--there's a friend in town I want to see, I haven't seen her in quite a while. Good, says Laura. Have you had breakfast? Asks Vicki. I had something at the cottage, says Laura (bet you didn't). I'll see you later, says Vicki, and leaves. I'm glad you wanted to spend the day with me, says Laura. I'm glad I don't have schoolwork, says David. Is that the only reason you said yes? asks Laura teasingly. Not the only reason, says David--what would you like to do today? Anything you'd like, she says--you name it. I think there's a place I'd like to take you, he says--I'd like to keep it a secret--you'll see when we get there. OK, she says, surprise me--I love surprises. You might not exactly LOVE it, he says. Why not? she asks. You might get scared, he suggests. I doubt that, she says. Do you believe in ghosts? he asks. Very few people believe in ghosts, she says. I do, and I'm not afraid of them, either, he says. I'm glad you're not, she says. Why? he asks. Because you should never be afraid of anything, she says--I'm glad you know that and I want you to remember it always. David looks puzzled at this remark.

Maggie pads around the cottage in a long robe, cleaning up. Vicki knocks. Maggie is delighted to see her. I had some time off and thought I might drop by and visit you, if you don't mind, says Vicki. Mind? asks Maggie, it's supposed to be my day off and so far I've spent it picking up after Pop--I'm delighted to have a chance to plop down in a chair and gab. I'm glad I picked the right day, says Vicki, taking off her coat--is your father at home? No, says Maggie, he's out for his morning constitutional--I thoroughly approve of morning walks. Why morning walks? asks Vicki Because the Blue Whale doesn't open its doors until 12:01, says Maggie ruefully--it's the afternoon walks I don't like--how about some coffee? I'd love some, says Vicki, thank you. Maggie goes to the kitchen and asks Vicki how things are on the hill. I may not have my job up there much longer, says Vicki. How come? asks Maggie--the place getting to be too much for you?--I thought that might happen. No, it isn't that, says Vicki, I like my job there and will be very sorry when I have to leave. Have to leave? asks Maggie--hey, is Roger Collins up to more of his tricks?--did he work on Mrs. Stoddard to give you the old heave-ho? She comes in with the coffee and gives Vicki a cup (which appears empty). Not at all, says Vicki, Roger's been very nice to me--it's just that David won't be needing me much longer. Who's going to tutor him? asks Maggie--the ghost of Josette Collins? No, his mother's come back, says Vicki, she wants to take him away--I guess he'll go to a regular school wherever she takes him. Vicki sips her cup of air. Is that why Laura Collins in town? asks Maggie. How did you know she was here? asks Vicki. I hear all the local gossip, says Maggie. I'm not up on the local gossip, says Vicki, smiling, I didn't know she was the latest target. Maggie moves from a chair to join Vicki on the sofa. Laura Collins is the biggest news item to hit this town in months, except for Matthew Morgan, says Maggie--you know, everybody is wondering what happened to her, what she's doing in town, and what she wants from Roger. She wants David, says Vicki. Is that all? asks Maggie. As far as I know, says Vicki. Hmm, when does she plan to take David away? asks Maggie. Not for a while, replies Vicki, you see, Mrs. Stoddard wants her to stay at Collinwood and get re-acquainted with David until things are decided--no one know how long that's going to take. Knowing Roger, says Maggie, he'd be only too happy to get rid of David. He thinks that Mrs. Collins can do more for David, explains Vicki, and chances are, he's right. How is Roger reacting to all this? asks Maggie--how does he feel about having a long-lost wife suddenly on the premises? They're still separate, says Vicki, but they seem to be getting along very well. He doesn't seem at all nervous? asks Maggie--like he's under some kind of pressure. I didn't know you were so interested in Roger, comments Vicki. I'm not, says Maggie, rising from the sofa, not interested in becoming the town's leading gossip, either--I'm asking these questions because I'm more worried about somebody who is close to me--Pop--I have a wild idea that he was involved with Laura Collins at some point in his life--I've good reasons for thinking so, too. Involved in what way? asks Vicki, standing beside her. I don't know that, says Maggie, and I'd like to keep my opinions to myself--can you answer me one question? What is it? asks Vicki. Do you really think the only reason Laura Collins has come back is to get David? Yes I do, says Vicki. I hope you're right, for a lot of reason, says Maggie. I feel very sorry for Mrs. Collins, says Vicki, she seems to have had a hard life, and needs David very badly--from the little I've seen of her, I like her very much. She seems like a nice woman, agrees Maggie--I have talked to her--she stayed at the hotel for a few days and came into the coffee shop--we chatted a couple of times, just general chit chat, but I have the same impression of her that you do--I thought she was a nice woman--then things started to happen--weird things I can't even explain--I may be crazy, but I think Laura Collins is behind it all.

Old House - David brings his mother in. Why did you bring me here? she asks distastefully, looking around at the cobwebs, decay and peeling wallpaper. Have you ever been here before? he asks. No, she says, I knew about this old house, but nobody ever came here. I come here all the time, says David--it's my favorite place to play--I have all my friends here--the ghosts--come on, I'll show you. David, she says hastily, not following him, isn't it time for your lunch? You're scared, aren't you? he asks. Not in the least, she insists. Then come on, he says. He stands before Josette's portrait; Laura slowly follows him. She's one of my friends, says David proudly. Laura gazes up--isn't that...? Josette Collins, supplies David--she died here and stays to haunt it. I heard that legend, says Laura, uncomfortable. I thought she might appear for us today, says David. Don't count on it, advises Laura. If she did, would you be scared? asks David. I told you, I'm not afraid of many things, she says, looking around nervously. I want you to see her, says David. Why? she asks. I just do, he replies--Josette Collins, where are you?--where are you? She doesn't seem to be here, says Laura. Josette Collins, he continues, it's David--appear for us, please! There's no one here, I can't see a thing, she says. Josette Collins, can't you hear me? he asks. We should be getting back to the house, says Laura, let's not waste anymore time. Why are you so anxious to get back to the house? he demands. Because I don't want you to miss your lunch! She insists. I don't care about my old lunch, he says--Josette--Josette Collins! We could stand here calling her all day, protests Laura, it's not going to do any good, can't you see that? I guess she doesn't want to appear to us, says David, sometimes she doesn't. Not at all disappointed, Laura says they should get back to the house. OK, he says, then stops--I just thought of something--none of the ghosts ever appear to anybody, at least two people at one time--so, that's why Josette Collins wouldn't appear to you--see if I leave you alone here, she might appear! Haven't we wasted enough time playing this game? Asks Laura impatiently. It isn't a game! insists David, it's real! If you stay here, you're just saying that because you're scared. I am not afraid of anything, says Laura. Then stay here! he says, running off--I'll be back in a minute! She calls out his name, trying to chase after him, but he closes the door, leaving her alone. We hear Josette's eerie music, and the painting glows.
Laura steps forward, staring at it. It glows in rapid blinks, as if communicating with Laura.

Laura continues to gaze up at the painting. The front door slams; David has returned. Did she appear? He asks. No, says Laura. She didn't appear? Asks David, disappointed. No, says Laura, I didn't see a thing--I'm sure. I thought Josette Collins would want to see you, says David. Don't be too disappointed, she says--shall we get back to the house now? I guess there's no point in staying here, says David. No, she says, come on--want to take my hand? They leave together. Josette's portrait glows with an unearthly light.

Cottage - Vicki asks Maggie what mysterious things have been happening, and how do they involve Laura? I'm not even sure they do, says Maggie, I just don't like what's going on. You're not making any sense, says Vicki. Maybe I'd better start from the beginning, says Maggie--Laura Collins came into the coffee shop the first day she got into Collinsport--we talked and at that time, I didn't know who she was, I thought she was just a nice customer, passing the time of day--then I mentioned this stranger to Pop--he caught a glimpse of her one day, he wasn't even sure who she was, but he pressed the panic button--he was after me every minute to pump her, to find out who she was, what she was doing here--he acted as if his life depended on finding out. And what happened when he did find out? asks Vicki. He flipped completely, says Maggie--started hitting the bottle even more than usual, and it started affecting his work--one night, he started to paint when I swear he was so loaded, he couldn't hold a brush--and then the next morning, I saw the beginnings of a picture that scared me--it was completely different than anything he'd done before--it was a weird picture, and when it started to take form, it really scared me--I wish I could show you the picture, you'd know why. Can't you? asks Vicki. No, says Maggie, Pop wouldn't like it, he doesn't want anyone to see it. What's so strange about it? asks Vicki. Everything, says Maggie, the weirdest thing is, Pop doesn't want to paint it, he says it's almost like he's painting it against his will--I believe him. This is all very odd, agrees Vicki, but what does it have to do with Laura Collins? I can't explain that unless I show you the painting, says Maggie. I don't understand any of this, says Vicki. I've got to show it to you, insists Maggie, moving over to the easel--maybe you can explain it
--and she takes off the cover and reveals the painting of Laura burning in flames, with a still-unfinished figure in the foreground of the picture.

The women stare at the painting. Vicki, can you tell me what would make my father have a compulsion to paint a picture of Laura Collins? No, says Vicki. Even if he wanted to paint her, why would he paint her this way? asks Maggie. I don't know that, either, says Vicki. Sam enters the house. I see we have a visitor, he says--he greets Vicki--I wish you'd pay us a visit more often, he says, I want to. . .he spots the uncovered painting--what's this cover doing off my painting? he demands of his daughter--you showed it to Vicki, didn't you? Yes, she admits, scared. Didn't I ask you not to show it to anyone? he asks, incensed--why don't you ever listen to anything I tell you? I'm sorry, says Maggie, I thought maybe she could explain it. There's nothing to explain, says Sam, it's a painting, that all, nothing special. I told her the truth, she says--I told her the whole story about the painting. Thanks very much for your loyalty, says Sam. I'm sorry, Pop, says Maggie, I had to tell somebody about it--I had to! Sam pours a drink. (rather early) It's my fault, says Vicki, I was curious about it. I've got to trust you, Vicki, says Sam, I want you to promise you won't tell anyone you saw this. All right, says Vicki. Don't tell anyone--not a soul! commands Sam. Not if you don't want me to, Vicki assures him. You're an honest girl, says Sam, I think I can trust you. Is everything Maggie said the truth? asks Vicki. Yes, admits Sam, I don't want to paint it, just sometimes I'd rather cut off my arm than work on it--something forces me to that canvas--something I don' pretend to understand myself. He drinks. Tell her when it all started, says Maggie.
A few days ago, he says. It started the first time he saw Laura Collins, says Maggie. Sam paces, staring at the painting with hatred.

Laura and David sit in front of the fire in the drawing room. I drew a picture this morning, he tells her--would you like to see it? I'd love to! she says. He brings over the drawing of the Phoenix. That's very good! she says. Do you know what is it? asks David. Of course I know what it is, she says, it's the bird from the story I told you last night--it's a Phoenix! Does it look the way you described? He asks. Exactly the way! she says--why did you draw this? I don't know, I just did, he says. It must have meant you liked my story then, she says. I did, he assures her, it was spooky! I think it's a beautiful story, she says, from the ashes of the old comes the new--I've always been fascinated by it. Do you know any other stories? He asks. Lots of them, she says, someday when you come to visit me, I'll tell you all of them. You mean you're not going to stay here? he asks. Not forever, she says, soon I shall have to go away, to the place I came from. And you want me to visit you there? he asks hesitantly. She looks at him with love. Would you like to? she asks. I don't know--is it really as nice as you said it was? he asks. Oh, David, it's even nicer, she said, I know you'd love it. How far away is it? he asks. It's a long way away, she says. How far? He asks, a hundred miles? Much father than that, she says. Is it hard to get there? he asks.
No, it's easy, she assures him--all you have to do is want to go.

Sam stares at the painting, rubbing his face.

NOTES: OK, so now Vicki's seen the creepy painting--will SHE make all these connections? If she's any kind of detective, she will. She wants to keep her job, too, and if she can get Laura to go away and not take David with her, she will. It's apparent that Laura is a supernatural creature, perhaps the very Phoenix she keeps raving about. So far, her arrival has compelled David to draw a picture of a Phoenix and Sam to paint Laura--surrounded by flames. Coincidence? I think not.

It's nice to see Vicki and Maggie bonding, but does it always have to be for supernatural reasons? Why can't they talk about Maggie's dates with Joe--I think I'd rather hear about that!

David sounds unsure about going with his mother, and it's good that he's being careful. Josette seemed to be telling Laura something, and I'll bet if we could interpret those glowing blinks, we would hear, LEAVE DAVID ALONE! over and over. DON'T HURT HIM!

What's going to happen now? Is David in danger? Will Sam lose his mind--or his liver to alcohol before this is all over?

Love, Robin