Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0845  (Read 1037 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0845
« on: November 30, 2014, 06:08:07 PM »
Robservations #845

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0845

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 07:28:38 PM »
David Selby manages to get away with the impossible-to-take-seriously, melodramatic line, "Barnabas must die!"  Now that's acting...  Barnabas describes the experience of meeting Josette who just happens to call herself Lady Kitty Hampshire (Welcome Kitty) thusly (is that a word?): "It was as if I was back in time."  With a straight face.  You ARE back in time, Barnabas.   I don't understand how Kitty changes their plans.  I think this was by Violet Welles, since we get backstory about Kitty, Gerald Soames, and Petofi (I think that was this ep).

Good Quentin/Pansy scene.  They all just interact with her as Pansy now, without a second thought.   A lot of mood in this episode generally.  Quentin elicits Charipansy's help in working his way around to the idea that Barnabas actually deserves to be destroyed.  How often have we tried to justify something as Q's doing?   "I just can't remember why we have to get the vampire." Or something like that.  We can see Quentin thinking.  That's good acting, when that happens.

Quentin's development of a conscience seems "right".  I buy it.  I'm not sure why.  Maybe he identifies with Barnabas so strongly, their both being in the same cursed position, that it's almost like empathizing with himself... which he's good at. 

Later in the cave (I love that cave, all the more so because of my theory that the cave walls are just scrunched up black paper stapled to the walls, yet it looks perfect), Quentin tries to stake Barnabas, and stops, saying, "You faced whatever you had to, and I will too."  I liked that.  Up until this point, it's fairly predictable.  We don't expect Quentin to do it.  When Pansy comes in, and picks up the stake and hammer, though... that's when we realize something big's going to happen.  They wouldn't have two almost-stakings in a row.  Yet she can't actually do it.  But she does!  There it is, bloody stake right in Barnabas's chest, camera moves up to his face, with blood coming out the corner of the mouth. 

[spoiler]I remember in earlier viewings its seeming as if Barnabas was really gone, in the following episodes.  I knew better, of course.[/spoiler]
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 07:41:49 PM »
By this time, I had gotten tired of the Josette obsession storyline.  Especially when it is done TWICE in 1897!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 07:55:39 PM »
For some reason I never really tired of it during the original run. However, you weren't the only one to tire of it, Joeytrom, because the feedback columns in many of the daytime magazines began to publish letters from other fans who were also tired (most of them wanted Barnabas and Julia to get together - but that's an entirely different issue). No doubt they were also writing directly to the show and that's probably what prompted the show to[spoiler]feature a scene during Leviathans in which Josette's ghost gives back her ring and tells Barnabas to move on (which also led Barnabas to not have a Josette obsession when he was released from his coffin in 1840 before 1970 Barnabas I-Chinged into his body. And that was certainly not what one might have expected. But again, that's an entirely different issue).[/spoiler]

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 09:18:39 PM »
Yes, very nice work by DS in the very first scene. He really brings it all ever day.

Yay, I'm so glad to find other people are fed up with the Josette thing! I'm looking forward to your spoiler too, MB.

It looks like daylight behind the stained-glass windows at the rectory when Barnabas rushes to tell poor Julia about his latest Josette obsession. Did she recognize you? Julia asks. No, Barnabas admits reluctantly. That is just as well, Julia opines, since the last time you saw Josette, she killed herself because of you. [A palpable hit!] Of course, Barn wants to change all their plans and even thinks he can figure out a way to deal with Petofi while still getting his Josette (as he already refers to her). No doubt Julia gets a little more than medical zeal out of sticking a needle in his arm.

Barn races back to Quentin to get information about the latest houseguest. Quentin fills him in, then has the grace to warn him to leave Collinwood before something awful happens. But Barn is too dreamy-eyed to listen. After he leaves, Quentin mutters, Judas! Judas!

Greatly daring, Julia goes to Collinwood to see Quentin. Almost like the patient wife of a philandering husband, she tells Quentin that they've been through the whole Josette business before. Quentin tells her that Kitty wants to see Edward, who is in Bangor at the moment. Julia begs Quentin to help her persuade Barnabas to stick with Plan A. Quentin begs Julia to persuade Barnabas to leave. Julia rather desperately suggests, Have _her_ go to Bangor herself and meet him. You’re being unreasonable, Quentin argues. It sounds that way, Julia acknowledges, but I don’t want anything to happen to Barnabas Collins. Do _you_? Eyes wide with guilt, Quentin is silent for a moment, the replies, No, I don’t. Then try, Julia urges him. Warn _her_ that if she stays here, there will be a tragedy for her. I’ll try to think of something, Quentin says. Julia prepares to leave, saying, I must go--I’m afraid Barnabas will come to the rectory and find me gone. Please don’t tell him I was here--and try to do something. After Julia goes, Quentin hears her voice in his head: I don't want anything to happen to Barnabas Collins. Do you? Do you? Do you? Do you? Do you? Do you? Do you? Do you? Do you? Do you? His eyes roll up as if he’s in pain, and he covers his ears as if that will shut out those last two words. 

Very nice work by DS and NB in their scene. We learn that not only does Pansy have a job at the Blue Whale but that she has moved out of Collinwood and is living in town. She blames everyone for forgetting poor Carl, and especially "some people"--glaring at Quentin--for not getting the vampire. Quentin asks if she would stake Barn herself, if she knew where he was. Her answer is an emphatic yes--and she suddenly realize that Quentin knows where Barnabas is! Realizing he's said too much, Quentin tries to backtrack. No, he insists, shaking his head. Then why are you talking that way? C/P asks. I was just talking, Quentin replies as he gets up from the sofa and puts his glass on the little table. You sure sound like you know, C/P comments. Well, I don’t, Quentin replies. If I did, I’d go to the police. I get these feelings sometimes, C/P says. This time, you know more than you’re saying. No, I don’t, Quentin insists. I think you’d better go back to town--it’s getting late. I couldn’t sleep tonight, she says sadly, not thinking about Carl. Finally it dawns on Quentin, and he really looks at her: You really did love Carl, he says with some wonder. And he loved me, she says sadly. I guess nobody ever had before. Soon it will be dawn. Quentin starts at this news, and C/P sees the change in his expression. What’s the matter? she asks. Nothing, he replies. Go home, he urges her, go home. Oh, you are afraid of the dawn, she says. You are like me. Dawn means a new day starting--except for people like you and me. We never get new days, Quentin. We just go on reliving the old ones. [This is so sad, and NB does such a good job here.] Hey, why are you staying up, Quentin? Why? But he pushes her away as he tells her, Go home, please. She looks at him unhappily, then quietly drifts out the front door. Through the drawing-room window, he watches her progress away from the house.

And yes, the cave is really gorgeous. Black, black paper wrinkled and staped, and no doubt helped by more of that wonderful lighting wizardry. Maybe that's why Quentin loses his nerve. Finally he realizes he can’t betray Barnabas. His face trembling the whole time, he hurls the mallet and stake to the ground and shuts the coffin. You faced whatever you had to! I will too! he tells his unknowing friend. Then he turns and runs out.

A moment later, C/P enters the cave to the accompaniment of Pansy’s song, played by a sad flute with spookily sliding violins. She spots the mallet and stake on the ground where Quentin very unwisely left them. She opens the coffin and stares at the slumbering vampire for a long moment. Then she picks up the implements of destruction, her eyes ablaze with anger. Placing the stake over Barnabas’s heart, she does not hesitate but brings the mallet down with a cry of triumph. In what was probably one of the most jolting scenes in 1970s daytime television, Barnabas screams as his blood wells up around the stake, but she hammers the stake down again and again with a triumphant little sound at every blow. We see the blood-soaked stake in Barnabas’s chest, then the blood streaming from his mouth as he falls still.....

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 10:04:16 PM »
Then she picks up the implements of destruction...

Alice's Restaurant reference?  Good post as always.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2014, 11:06:52 PM »
Yes, absolutely, especially at this time of year! And thank you!  [hall2_grin]

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 12:01:38 AM »
My second big cliffhanger from the original watch (and even though Julia lived through her cliffhanger, I was still totally sucked in to/traumatized by the staking of Barnabas!!!).

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2014, 03:05:34 AM »
This is like the movie "Psycho" where the main character is suddenly killed off and the audience is left adrift.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2014, 03:19:20 AM »
(Psycho spoiler)
[spoiler]In both cases, the killer was someone who was sort of in drag...[/spoiler]