Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #1060  (Read 747 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #1060
« on: March 31, 2016, 08:04:05 PM »
Robservations #1060

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #1060

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 10:47:51 AM »
FIRE.  Rebecca's not over after all.  Did we see the fire in the film?  In the book, they spotted smoke from a great distance, end.  End of PT, 1995!  I'm not giving DarkLady any reason to come back with my meager remarks here, sorry...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 08:16:49 PM »
I'm not sure about other versions of Rebecca, but we definitely see the fire in the 1940 Hitchcock version. In fact, we see Mrs. Danvers in the room as Rebecca's bedroom goes up in flames.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 08:26:44 PM »
...and we applaud.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2016, 03:00:01 AM »
Roxanne dreams of fire and Barnabas in the fire. She must realize he can't die. Stokes continues his villainous ways and has Maggie tied up at Collinwood etc. Julia has meanwhile while returned to her own clothes and hair a vast improvement over the late Hoffman and her original RT Dr. Hoffman. Stokes throws gas around in a maniacal way and sets fire. Barnabas and Julia end up in Angelique's room in the East wing when if changes and Roxanne is left behind.  The flames in front of them looked much more realistic than in the past.  The storyline for PT could have been much tighter. Characters disappeared for large amounts of time and some were not needed or developed.  It was enjoyable to watch anyway.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2016, 03:07:11 AM »
Thanks, MB.  ***  I think we have to resign ourselves to DS being its loveable lurching misfiring self from this point on, from the end of 1897 on, actually.

Maybe Barnabas can't be killed, but can he burn?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2016, 01:06:21 AM »
End of the storyline.
Stokes has Maggie hostage but doesn't really do much but gloat. Nor does he do much of anything to Quentin or Roxanne. His principal targets are Barnabas and Julia. He really goes off the deep end and apparently decides that the best way to even the score is to set fire to Collinwood. The fire in the 2012 DS attracted the attention of the entire town. Here, it hasn't seemed to have attracted the attention of the fire department.
Barnabas and Julia are hoping to escape to their own time before everything goes up in flames. (No smoke alarms in 1970?). But the room changes before Roxanne can join them, which is a twist that I did not see coming.
The story ends with an extremely high body count. The survivors are Quentin, Maggie, Chris (by virtue of being offscreen for the duration), Daniel and Amy. As well as a couple of peripheral characters such as Inspector Hamilton and Buffie Harrington. And [spoiler]Roxanne, though no one knows that yet[/spoiler].
A lot of the character's deaths were caused directly or indirectly by Barnabas and, to a somewhat lesser extent, Julia. Most of the blame will go to Angelique and Roger but that isn't necessarily accurate. The Collinses should be a little more wary of strangers who claim to be relatives. A vague resemblance to a portrait is no substitute for a background check.
Fade Away and Radiate