Author Topic: #0158/0159: Robservations 09/11/01: Liz Loses All Her Marbles  (Read 1308 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
#0158/0159: Robservations 09/11/01: Liz Loses All Her Marbles
« on: September 10, 2001, 07:15:37 PM »
Episode #158 - In one of the bedrooms of Collinwood, there is a woman who has recently become an invalid. Her illness is a cause of concern to all those whose lives she touches.

Liz' bedroom - Roger stands by as a doctor checks Liz' pulse. She does not look at all well. Well, doctor? Asks Roger. Be patient, cautions the doctor, I haven't concluded my examination yet. It just doesn't make sense, says Roger, my sister isn't the fainting sort. Sorry to disappoint you, says Liz weakly, it seems I've just become the fainting sort. You're just going to have to pull yourself together, says Roger jovially, who's going to run things around here?--I don't want the responsibility. (he isn't kidding.) I feel so ridiculously weak, it's almost impossible to force myself to move, says Liz--it's nothing serious, is it, doctor?--I can't be sick, not now. Suppose you leave the diagnosis to me, advises the doctor. I feel so strange, so very very tired, says Liz. Then rest, says the doctor, it's the best thing for you. Yes, rest, murmurs Liz, and falls asleep. The doctor rises to his feet. He and Roger move away from the bed, and the doctor replaces his equipment in his medical bag. (we see the Count Petofi hand box) What's wrong with her? asks roger. The strangest case I've ever been on, replies the medico--in all the things I've ever read about in medical books, all my years as a doctor, I've never seen anything like this--let's discuss it outside. They leave Liz' bedroom as she slumbers on.

Roger and the doctor troop downstairs. I don't understand it, says Roger--what makes my sister's case so unique? She seems to be a very ill woman, says the doctor, is that right/ How ill is very ill? Asks Roger--let's say it seems something is wrong with her. That's just it, says the doctor, there isn't--there's nothing physically wrong with her--organically, she's in perfect shape--everything I can possibly test here in this house--heart, pulse, eyes, lungs, they all check out fine--there are other things I can't possibly test here--with your permission, I'd like to move her to a hospital in Boston, where they have the necessary equipment to give her a thorough going over. You not only have my permission but my blessing, says Roger--I think it would be a very good thing for Elizabeth to get out of Collinsport for a while. Good--I'll make the necessary arrangements, says the doctor. There is one obstacle, says Roger, helping the doctor into his coat--you have my permission, but you don't have' Liz'--I sometimes think it would take a stick of dynamite to get her out of this house. Then you have to convince her it's of the utmost importance, says the doctor. Thank you very much, says Roger ironically--but how?
That's up to you, says the doctor--get help from her daughter--do anything to help--it must be done--and quickly.

When you found mother, Carolyn, playing with her necklace, asks Vicki in the drawing room, she was in a faint on the staircase--I don't understand, it doesn't make sense. Calm down, says Vicki, Let's wait and hear what the doctor has to say. But my mother isn't the sort that passes out! says Carolyn. There isn't the sort that does or doesn't, says Vicki--it may have been a simple case of fatigue. I just can't figure it out, says Carolyn, she's one of the strongest women that ever was--the idea of Mother being ill is...simply inconceivable! If you don't stop this, you're going to be the one that's ill, Vicki warns the agitated Carolyn. Roger enters the drawing room and tells them the doctor just left--as far as he can see, there's nothing wrong with Liz. What does he suggest? Asks Vicki. He wants to do some more tests, but will need the facilities of a hospital--he suggests she be sent to Boston, says Roger. I'd like to see anyone who can convince Mother to leave this house, says Carolyn. Yes, agrees Roger, that's what I was telling him, but he was adamant about it. What do we do? asks Carolyn. Pull together and convince her, that's all, says Roger, you, me and Vicki. You know how stubborn she is, Carolyn reminds him. Stubborn, yes, says Roger, but she's no fool, and if all three of us tell her the same thing, she'll realize we're doing it for her own good. Well, I guess we'd better get upstairs and see her, says Carolyn, walking toward the stairs. Mrs. Stoddard is going to be very difficult about this, says Vicki. You've always had a flair for understatement, says Roger. Uncle Roger, says Carolyn, it suddenly occurs to me how convenient all this is for you. What do you mean? asks Roger. Laura, the divorce, the custody of David can be accomplished much more easily without Mother around, points out Carolyn.
My thoughts are only about your mother, says Roger. As long as you're being so thoughtful, says Carolyn, suppose you be the one to break it to her--that she's going to have to leave Collinwood and go into the a hospital. Roger looks unhappy at this task.

Liz sits up in bed with a start, as if awakening from a nightmare. Roger knocks and she says to come in. He sits beside her and tells her as far as the doctor knows, there's nothing wrong with her--but he doesn't know enough--he wants to make some more tests. I'm not preventing him, says Liz. Yes, says Roger, but it's nothing he can do here--he needs the facilities of a hospital--he wants you to go to Boston. That's impossible! says Liz, the old fire in her eyes. Don't be difficult, says Roger. I won't leave this house! insists Liz. But the doctor says...begins Roger. The doctor's a fool, says Liz, it's just fatigue, I've been working too hard, worrying too much--a few days rest and I'll be fine. It's impossible for you to have a disease and diagnose it, asserts Roger--even surgeons call in other surgeons. I'm not leaving Collinwood! says Liz--where's Carolyn? Outside, says Roger. I want to speak to her--please tell her to come in, orders Liz. All right, says Roger, and calls Carolyn into the room. Carolyn, smiling, sits down and asks Liz how she is. At the moment, very upset, says Liz. You mustn't get excited, says Carolyn. How can I help but be? asks Liz--your uncle thinks I must enter a hospital. The doctor thinks it's for the best, says Carolyn. A doctor doesn't think for me, says Liz, I think for myself. In this case, you've got to listen to him, says Carolyn. You're my daughter,, says Liz, they can't do anything without your permission--are you going to turn against me? Nobody's against you! says Carolyn, we're all for you--we want you to get well! Will you let them take me out of this house? asks Liz. Only because of you, to help you, says Carolyn. There's no help for me, away from Collinwood, murmurs Liz--don't let them do this to me! You're making it very difficult, says Carolyn. I want to stay here--what could be less difficult? Asks Liz. Please, begs Carolyn, please, if you won't do it for yourself, then do it for me--I won't rest easily until I know what's wrong with you--she looks at Roger.. I see, says Liz, you've made up your minds without consulting me. you're in no position to make the decision, says Carolyn. Very well, says Liz, I can't fight all of you--if I must go, remember, that you and you alone are in charge--I don't want any decisions made, not about David or anything else, until I return. Roger looks surprised at this directive. I'll try to do everything as you would do, promises Carolyn. They look at each other for a long moment, and Carolyn smiles. You can't, can you? asks Liz--how can I expect you to?--you're only a child yourself. The hospital is only a phone call away, Carolyn assures her. But how can I be sure anyone will make that call? asks Liz. Don't you trust me? asks Carolyn. I trust you to want to, says Liz, the thing is--and she gazes up at Roger--will you be allowed to? Roger looks tight-lipped. You make it sound so ominous, says Carolyn. No, says Liz, I can't leave this house, no matter what, I'll stay. You can't! says Carolyn--we've got to follow the doctor's orders!
We'll see about that, vows Liz, sitting up, get my lawyer!--get my lawyer here! Carolyn pushes her mother back, trying to calm her down, but Liz continues to tell them she wants her lawyer here. Roger and Carolyn exit the room as Liz weakly insists that she won't leave--she won't!

When Roger goes into Liz' room, she's twisting her head from side to side against the pillow, restless. Did you get my lawyer? She asks. Now Liz, you're not going to cut us all off just because we're trying to do the right thing for you, he says soothingly. I'm going to prevent you from sending me to the hospital, insists Liz. I don't understand this, says Roger, you're always so sensible about things. I'm being sensible, she says, I want to speak to Vicki. Roger agrees--anything you say--but he doesn't look comfortable about it. Vicki's waiting right outside, and she comes in and asks Liz how she's feeling. Liz invites Vicki to sit down. Vicki does so, Roger sitting on her bed on the other side. I want to talk to Vicki alone, Liz tells her brother. Very well, says Roger, and exits. Promise me, says Liz, you'll do exactly as I tell you. I'll try, says Vicki. Listen carefully, says Liz, I haven't much strength left. I'm listening, Vicki assures her. My sister in law is going to take every advantage of my being away from here, says Liz, to see David. He's her son, says Vicki; she'll try to see him whether you're here or not. The thing is, says Liz, if I were here, she wouldn't succeed. You mustn't worry about these things, says Vicki. If I don't, says Liz, who will? You've got to concentrate on getting well again! says Vicki. I can't, says Liz, out of breath, not with this on my mind--you've got to help me! I'll do everything in my power, promises Vicki. You'll be doubly responsible for David while I'm away, says Liz. I'll take good care of him, says Vicki. I know that, says Liz, but you've got to make sure Laura doesn't see him. I'll do what I can, says Vicki. You've got to do it! says Liz desperately--you've got to keep David away from his mother! What if his father insists that he see her? asks Vicki. You're too young, laments Liz, I haven't anybody, there's no one I can trust--they can't take me away from here--please go, Vicki. Mrs. Stoddard...protests Vicki. Please, says Liz. Vicki reluctantly, slowly leaves, closing the door behind her. Nobody I can trust, murmurs Liz--nobody, I've got to stay here, nobody--she suddenly sits up in bed and sees Laura by her bed. Hello, Liz, says Laura silkily, looking more like a mannequin than a person. What are you doing here? asks Liz. I've come to pay you a little visit, says Laura. Please, I'm not well, says Liz. I know, says Laura. Why did they let you come up here? asks Liz. No one knows I'm up here, says Laura, except you and me. Please, go away, begs Liz. I won't stay long, says Laura. What do you want? asks Liz. Laura stands--only what's mine--my son, she says. No! cries Liz. You can't stand in my way--I told you you couldn't stand in my way, Laura reminds her. I can't remember, says Liz, her hand to her face. It's not important, says Laura. It is, insists Liz, I must remember! don't try, says Laura, just rest--you're going to have a nice, long rest. I'm going to get better, vows Liz. Of course you will, says Laura. I won't let you have David, warns Liz, no matter what happens to me--I won't let you!--there's something about you that...I don't know what it is--but I don't know--this...I know there's something I must remember. but you can't remember, can you? asks Laura. It's so close to remembering, I can almost grasp it! says Liz. You might never remember that image that's glimmering in your mind, says Laura. I will! Says Liz. Some things are best forgotten, best left unspoken, says Laura. I have to remember! gasps Liz, I know it's important! You must forget, insists Laura. No, I'll remember, says Liz.
Memories are very hazy, says Laura. Everything seems to be fading, says Liz. Memories are elusive, disappearing into the fog, says Laura, in a hypnotizing voice--a fog that envelops everything! What's happening to me, says Liz, sinking to the pillows. Time is stopping for you, says Laura, coming to a halt--not future, no past--only the nothingness of being in limbo. Liz, eyes wide, stares at Laura.

Drawing room - Somehow it's not right, says Carolyn. Can you suggest an alternative? He asks her. No, says Carolyn, I simply don't like going against my mother's wishes. As long as she stays here, says Roger, she can get neither the rest nor the attention she requires. I suppose you're right, says Carolyn. Of course I'm right! says Roger, you saw her just now--he turns to find Laura standing there. Carolyn grimaces at her aunt. Laura, I didn't hear you knock! Says Roger. The door was open, says Laura--all this excitement, what's going on? Don't you know? asks Roger--of course you don't know--Liz has become ill. Really? asks Laura, what's wrong? Nobody seems to know, says Roger, pouring a drink, they're going to have to take her to Boston for observation. That's awful, says Laura, walking over to Carolyn, who's sitting on the sofa--I'm terribly sorry! Are you really? asks Carolyn. Of course I am, says Laura, I know how much Liz hates to leave this place. I would think her going away would fit in with your plans perfectly, says Carolyn. Regardless of my plans, says Laura, I still feel very sorry for your mother. How very generous of you, says Carolyn, but then you probably think you can afford to be generous now--Carolyn rises to her feet--don't be too sure of that! She flounces out. She's getting to be more and more like me every day, says Roger proudly. Laura sits beside him on the sofa and asks that he tell her exactly what happened. We found Liz at the foot of the stairs, says Roger, she was unconscious--the doctor can't diagnose her here, and she refuse to leave. obviously she has to! says Laura. I wouldn't be too sure of Liz having to do anything she doesn't want to do, says Roger, sipping his drink. What are you going to do? asks Laura. Try to get her into a hospital in spite of herself, says Roger--I must say, this situation doesn't hurt you, either--the one thing she was adamant about was that you not get David. But if you want me to have him...says Laura. I'm not going to upset her while she's this way, he says. With Liz in the hospital, things would be a lot easier, she reminds him. If we can get Carolyn to get her to the hospital, he says--Carolyn is her daughter, she will be in charge here. Yes, but in her condition, she has to go, insists Laura. With women, one can never tell, says Roger--Carolyn might keep Liz here to thwart you. What has she got against me? asks Laura. Until you came here, says Roger, her best beau was one Burke Devlin, who seems to have other interests now. I told you, she says impatiently, that I don't want Burke. You'd better mean it, he warns, because I can be pretty nasty myself. You know the only thing I want is David, she says, and she's not going to stop me from getting him. I'm not so sure that even if Liz is in the hospital, you know, she can be a difficult woman--as long as she can speak, she can always give orders to her lawyer or Carolyn. Yes, well, that might not be a problem, predicts Laura. They hear Carolyn emit a piercing scream. What was that? asks Roger as they both leap to their feet. Laura just stands there smugly as Roger runs toward the stairs.

Vicki barrels into Liz' room, asking what's wrong. It's Mother! sobs the hysterical Carolyn. Vicki reaches out and tries to rouse Liz. Roger bursts in. Mrs. Stoddard! cries Vicki. Mother! wails Carolyn. Roger leans between them, calling to Liz, who is now lying still, looking like a dead woman with open eyes. Speak to me! implores Roger. She can't speak! Says Vicki.
Downstairs, Laura hears the commotion and smiles, relishing her triumph.

NOTES: Too bad Roger made that suggestion about how silencing Liz would solve all of Laura's problems--she just, in the words of STAR TREK, made it so. It's certain that the family will cart Liz off to a Boston hospital, leaving David vulnerable. Liz feels that Carolyn and Vicki are too young to help, and that Roger is on Laura's side, but perhaps she's wrong. Both gals can be pretty formidable when necessary. Should be an interesting fight.

Interesting that Liz seems so ill, yet in body, she isn't. Laura must be one powerful being to accomplish something like this, because she can get Liz out of the way until she accomplishes her goal. But will she let Liz live in the end? Who knows? Laura is able to move her body from one place to another without being seen, plus she has the power to render someone desperately ill. Powerful mojo, no?

Liz knew that Roger wouldn't do what she wanted, and so turned to the girls. I think she should give them more credit than she does. Vicki especially loves and wants to protect David, and will go to any lengths to do so, even against Roger's orders.

Episode #159 - Sudden Illness has come to Collinwood, an illness so strange that doctors cannot diagnose it. The atmosphere is worried and tense in the great house, as the one who is ill lies unmoving, eyes wide, staring fixedly at something no one can see.

Vicki paces the drawing room, her lovely face etched with concern. Someone knocks. She answers. It's Frank, and she invites him in. What happened? he asks--your message said it was urgent. Mrs. Stoddard is worse, says Vicki, she just lies there, staring blankly, not speaking or moving. Is she paralyzed? He asks. It would seem that way, says Vicki, but the doctor doesn't think so. then what is it? he asks. He doesn't know, says Vicki--yesterday she was fine, she was talking and trying to run the house--and then I left her alone just for a little bit--when Carolyn went in, there she was, in this condition, whatever it is. He takes off his coat and hands it to her. What could the cause be? he asks. We don't know, says Vicki. Has she been feeling ill lately? He asks. No, says Vicki, she has been under pressure--David, his mother want to take him away. I know, he says, but Mrs. Stoddard is a very strong-willed woman, do you think she'd just give way like this? no, says Vicki, that's why I think her illness has something to do with Laura Collins!

How could this illness possibly be related to Laura Collins? asks Frank. I don't know, says Vicki, it's just a very strong feeling I have--let's go talk in here, she says, leading him into the drawing room--we have a lot of decisions to be made, a lot to discuss--Mrs. Stoddard wanted to see you--she wouldn't say why--but that's why I left that urgent message for you. I'm afraid I wasn't available, he says. That's all right, says Vicki, because it wouldn't have made any difference--you couldn't have gotten here in time--just after I called you, she went into that coma. Do you have any idea what was on her mind? asks Frank--did she seem to have a feeling or fear of death? No, says Vicki, she did seem worried about what might happen to her. Maybe she wanted to say something about her will, he suggests, people in this condition often have a change of heart, they want to include someone, or cut somebody out of it. No, says Vicki, I don't think that was it--she seemed so much more urgent. What was she saying? he asks. She was turning over the house to Carolyn, but she was determined not to leave Collinwood, no matter what the doctor wanted. Was does he want? asks Frank. He wants to get her into a hospital so he can do more extensive testing than he was able to do here, explains Vicki. Why doesn't she go? asks Frank--does she have some fear of doctors and hospitals. No, that's not it, she says--she doesn't want to leave this house--you must remember she hasn't been out of here in 18 years--something's keeping her here, but she won't say what it is--she's adamant about not going. What else did she say? he asks. She asked--no, she told me to keep David away from his mother. You have no right to keep that boy away from his mother, says Frank, Mrs. Stoddard is not his guardian, she can't authorize you to do anything like that. but it's for David's sake! says Vicki, upset. Granted, says Frank, but the boy's father wants to promote this kind of relationship between the mother and son--and legally, you don't have a leg to stand on. I'm not looking at it legally! says Vicki shrilly, I'm seeing it from an emotional point of view. Which means nothing in court, he reminds her. I don't care about court, says Vicki, anyway, the things that have happened here wouldn't even stand up in court! All right, he says, I'll admit there are enough things going on with Mrs. Collins to raise a question with David's custody, but no enough to prevent her from seeing him. No! cries Vicki--there are so many unexplainable things--too many coincidences, too many unnatural occurrences. Frank agrees. Somebody has to answer them, she says--I was hoping it would b you. I only wish I could, he says, but I'm afraid the extrasensory is not my field--I deal in facts, evidence, testimony--and besides, this is not a normal case--there are no absolute value here--what's happened here you either believe or disbelieve, and even if you disbelieve it, you can't ignore it. If only somebody could explain what's been happening, she says. I'm afraid there aren't many who can explain phenomenon, he says, ESP--this place seems to be full of it. He ponders a moment, as Vicki looks disturbed. Wait a minute, he says, there's a professor at Dartmouth, of parapsychology--the study of extra sensory perception and supernatural phenomenon. That sounds a little way out (yes, we used that term back then, folks), says Vicki. But isn't that what's been happening here? asks Frank. I suppose so, says Vicki. Dr. Peter Guthrie, remembers Frank--and I know he'd be interested in this--he's always researching and investigating things like this--I'm going to phone him, ask him to come over
--I'd like his opinion. I hope he can shed some light on the matter, she says. If there's a genuine supernatural experience happening here, says Frank, Peter Guthrie will explain it. He picks up the phone.

Cottage - David runs inside. Laura follows, gasping for breath. I won! he says exultantly--I told you I could run fast! You practically flew! She laughs--take off your coat. They do. Let's get warm, she suggests. That was a lot of fun, says David. Laura agrees--we used to do that when you were little, I used to let you win, but this time, you really won. You can run pretty fast--for a lady, he says. thank you sir, she says, I consider that a very great compliment--should we get warm by the fire? OK, he says, and they both hold out their hands. I can't get used to this cold climate, says Laura. It was always warm where you came from, wasn't it? he asks. Oh, yes, she says, sitting by the fire, the temperature was always very pleasant there--feeling better, this is warmer, isn't it? Yes, he says, smiling. Poke the fire, see if you can get a little more heat out of it, she says. Can I? he asks, pleased. He picks up the poker. Of course, she says. Gee, thanks, he says, I love to do it, but my father never lets me. There's an art to it, she says--something every man should know. He asks her how he's doing. Very well, she praises--why don't you put another log on? Can I?--really? he asks, amazed--oh, boy!--which one should I take, this one? Any one you like, you're in charge of the fire, she tells him. I think I will take this one, he says, then changes his mind and selects another. That's going to make a nice blaze, she says--put it on. OK, he says, hefting the heavy log and adding it to the fire. Be careful, she warns, don't get too close. Very good, she praises. It's starting to burn, he says. This is gong to warn us now, isn't it? she asks. Yes, he says, listen to the crackling. A wonderful sound, she says. Sounds like guns going off (?) he remarks--oh, boy, look at the sparks going up the chimney! All the way up into the sky, says Laura. Thanks for letting me do that, he says. You can take care of the fire anytime you want to, she assures him. Can I? he asks eagerly. Yes, every day, if you like, she says. Oh, I would! he says. This will burn out by tonight, she says, why don't you come over in the morning bright and early and start another one? I will! he says excitedly, I'll be here real early! It's a date, she says--then I'll fix breakfast for you. Oh, boy! he says. How about pancakes? She asks. Sure! he says, grinning. We'll sit and watch the fire all day long, mmm? And I can keep putting logs on it, he says. I'll have to bring some more in from the outside, she says. I don't want you to carry them--let me carry them, he says proudly. Are you sure you're strong enough? she asks. Of course I am! he assures her, very much the man. They stare into the fire together. David, she says, I'm glad we're such good friends. Oh, I was never mad at you, really, he says. We're better friends now than ever before, she says, aren't we? Yes, he says, grinning, I like you. I'm glad, she says--I hope you mean that. I do, he says, honest! I believe you, she says--you know what, I think it would be fun if you came over and spent the night sometime--would you like that? David's mouth drops open. Oh, I would--we could stay up real late and keep the fire going... They smile at each other. Yes, that's exactly what I thought, she agrees--oh, I'm looking forward to it--we're going to have such a good time together--everything is going to be wonderful for us--we must never let anyone come between us. Who would want to do that? he asks.
I don't know, there was someone that...but that will never happen now, she says. (Brrrrr!)

Nine o'clock - Vicki looks up at the grandfather clock, then goes to the window and opens it, gazing out anxiously. She catches David running upstairs. Where were you at this hour? she demands. Out, he says. Where? She asks. With my mother, at her cottage, he says. Will you come downstairs, please? she asks. I'm going to my room, he says. You can go to your room later, says Vicki sternly, I want to talk to you now. OK, he says reluctantly. He heads back downstairs. Come in here, she tells him. They go into the drawing room. Why didn't you tell me where you were going? she asks. I thought I did, he says. You know you didn't, she says. I was with my mother, so it's OK, he assures her. I want to know where you are all the time, she says. Most of the time I'll probably be with my mother, he says. That might be a question, David--you know that your aunt Elizabeth is very sick and is going to have to go to a hospital. Will she be there long? he asks. We don't know, says Vicki. Oh boy, I hope not, he says. I hope not, too, says Vicki. Will she get better? He asks. We'll only know that after the doctor examines her at the hospital--in the meantime, she's left some instructions for us--and I'm sure you'll want to carry them out. Sure I do, says David. Good, says Vicki--one of them has to do with the amount of studying you've been doing. I knew it would be that! he says. You haven't been doing enough schoolwork, insists Vicki, tomorrow morning we're going to start bright and early and get in a good day. How early? He asks. Right after breakfast, she says. I promised my mother I'd have breakfast with her tomorrow, he says. You're going to have to have breakfast here, she says, or else we'll lose too much time. But I want to have breakfast with her, he pouts. Why don't you ask her to have breakfast with us up here? asks Vicki, tell her to come early. But she was going to make it for me down there at the cottage, by herself, complains David. She can make it up here, says Vicki, I'm sure Mrs. Johnson won't mind. Yes, but it wouldn't be the same as down there, he says. that's the way it's got to be, says Vicki. Who said so? he asks. I do, she says. I don't know why you have to be so strict all of a sudden! He says. Because I'm responsible for your education, she says. OK, he says, but you don't have to tell me when to eat! I'm responsible for what you eat, too, she says. Yes, but my mother's in charge of something, isn't she? he demands. She's in charge of the things I'm not in charge of, says Vicki. That's no fair--you're in charge of everything! He says angrily--there won't be any time for me to be with my mother! (that's the point, David.) Of course there will, says Vicki. David folds his arms over his chest. I promised her I'd take care of her fire tomorrow, he says. This disturbs Vicki. You did? she asks. Yes, she let me do it today, he says, and I did a good job of it, so I can do it whenever I want. She let you tend the fire? asks Vicki. Yes, he says, and tomorrow morning I have to bring logs for her--I'll be busy and working all the time--because my mother likes to sit and look at the fire--and so do I. He gazes into the drawing room fire. I wish that you wouldn't do that, says Vicki, upset--it's dangerous. My mother said I can, David tells her, and you have nothing to say about it. We'll see how much I have to say about it, insists Vicki. You're just trying to keep me from seeing my mother! he accuses.
David! says Laura from the doorway--Miss winters would never do a thing like that--I'm quite sure. And Vicki and Laura stare at each other.

David runs into Laura's arms while Vicki coolly greets Laura. David, you shouldn't say things like that to Miss Winters, says Laura. But they're true! says David--she doesn't want me to be with you! David, I never said anything like that, says Vicki. I'm sure you didn't, says Laura, and orders David to apologize. But she's trying to give me a lot to do so I won't be able to see you, he says. That's not true, says Laura--is it, Vicki? No, lies Vicki, it isn't. You see? Laura tells her son. But she said I couldn't have breakfast with you in the morning! says David. I didn't quite say that, says Vicki. What did you say? asks Laura. He's fallen behind in his studies, says Vicki--we've got a lot of catching up to do, so we need all the time we can get--I suggested that you have breakfast with us, up here. I had no idea you were falling behind on your work, says Laura, I'm very surprised. I'm not that behind, says David, I could catch up like that--he snaps his fingers to show how quickly. In that case, I suggest you do so, she says, so we can have our private little breakfasts--I'm sure the day after tomorrow would be all right--wouldn't it, Vicki? I don't think he can catch up enough in one day, says Vicki. Oh? asks Laura, suspicious, how long would you say? I'm not sure, says Vicki. I see, says Laura, well, why don't you run along upstairs to bed, she tells David, so you can get a nice bright and early start in the morning and get all that studying over with, hmm? OK, he says. She bids him good night and kisses his cheek. He says good night to Vicki, who promises to come up and see him before he goes to sleep. Dream well, Laura says, and David goes upstairs. I didn't realize that I was keeping David from his studies, says Laura. I didn't mean to blame you, it's not your fault, says Vicki, but you must understand, with Mrs. Stoddard so sick, we have to try and keep things running as smoothly as possible. I agree with you completely, says Laura, you're a very bright, loyal girl. Thank you, says Vicki. Did you notice how I backed you up about David's studies? Yes, says Vicki. And how willing I was to make adjustments? says Laura. Yes, you saved me from quite a scrap with him, agrees Vicki. I'm very glad about that, says Laura--however, I am a little disappointed in you, Vicki. Why? asks Vicki. Because you were so helpful to me in that very difficult beginning with David, says Laura--but right now you're not backing me up--I wonder why? Vicki turns away, uncomfortable. Can you tell me? asks Laura. I don't know, says Vicki. What's happened between us? asks Laura--is it something that I've said or done? I'm not sure anything has happened between us, answers Vicki noncommittally. I can tell that something has, I just wonder if Elizabeth Stoddard has anything to do with it? asks Laura. No, says Vicki firmly. I would feel terrible if I thought you were really trying to keep me away from David, says Laura. Whatever I do, says Vicki, I do it for David--now you can't ask for more than that. Yes I can, insists Laura, David is my son, I represent his past, his future--I think you should recognize this, and stand behind me. I'm doing the best I can, says Vicki. No you're not, accuses Laura--you're jerking away--stay with me--please, you understand more than anyone else does--you can help me the most. Of course I want to help you, says Vicki, but I have my responsibilities. To David or to Mrs. Stoddard? asks Laura. To both, responds Vicki. Don't you also have them to yourself? asks Laura. Yes, says Vicki, to make the right decision.
For your sake, I hope you do so, says Laura, because, no matter what, I will get David.

NOTES: The battle is officially joined, I would say, between Laura and Vicki, for David's very life. I'm sure Laura would have no trouble doing to Vicki what she did to Liz, and that's very scary. I imagine Laura would put everyone at Collinwood into states of coma before relinquishing her claim on David. Now that she's getting him involved with her fiery hobbies, what is her plan for him? He seems to like and love her a great deal, so she is fulfilling that goal. Will Vicki, with the help of Frank and Dr. Guthrie, be able to save David from whatever fate Laura has in store for him?

David and his mother really do seem to get along well, and I believe it was true for the actors, as well. Diana Millay and David Henesy are in contact to this day. She has said so herself. I enjoyed watching the scene in which Laura made David feel so grown-up by allowing him to poke the fire and add a log. The idea of putting together a fire from scratch put David into ecstasy, which I'm sure is what Laura wanted.

Frank and Vicki had a different opinion--emotion vs. law--but at least he agreed to try playing it her way. They do make a nice pair, don't they?  I think she and Laura both know that the gauntlet has been thrown, and not only does Laura have the fact that she's David's blood mother on her side, but the supernatural powers she carries as a Phoenix.

It seems that David is overcoming his obsession with death and violence, but he compares the sound of the fire to gunshots, leading me to believe he's still got a fixation. Nevertheless, he's a much more sympathetic character now, and we want Vicki, Frank and the others to thwart Laura's efforts to be with him. Interesting how smoothly they changed David's character so we would like and root for him.

Love, Robin